+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Has anyone had a Low lying placenta?

I had an anomaly scan today and everything is fine with the baby, except they told me that my placenta is covering the cervix.
    I am only at 21 weeks and I was told that usually the placenta moves up higher as the belly grows.
    I really hope this is true as I don't like the sound of it.
    Has anyone had a low lying placenta before that has resolved itself?

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    yes, is is VERY common early on in pregnancy, as the size of your uterus compared to the size of the placenta may make it seem as though it is lying low, but as the uterus expands out and stretches, the placenta travels up with it the majority of the time.
    I have been told I have a low placenta with both pregnancys, and both times it has resolved itself just fine.

Try not to worry, the odds are definitely in your favour!

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm half asleep, if it truly is covering the cervix, it may be cause for concern, as there is not so much stretching or moving in the cervical area, but I would probably get a detailed diagnosis about it.
    Did they simply ask you to come back for another u/s later on in the piece?
    There are 4 differing grades of true placenta previa, and only the worst two grades necessitate a c/s.
    With proper support and care, you can birth vaginally with the milder forms of placenta previa, it just pays to take it pretty easy during your pregnancy, as some women do experience some bleeding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

On my 19th week scan they told me I had a low lying placenta as well. I'm due to have another ultrasound on my 30th week which is in a couple of weeks time to see if it has moved. The midwives and doctors think that in 95% of people that have this, it will eventually move as the pregnancy progresses and have a normal birth.

I too was worried and did alot of research into the different types of Placenta Prevea, I posted here about it as well. If you are very worried talk to your midwife or doctor about it in your next visit and tell them about your concerns.

I'm crossing my fingers, hopefully everything is ok with mine. It hasn't seem to affect bub as she is kicking and moving stronger than ever.

Good luck!

Kind Regards,

Eslay2005

1st BUB due 27th January 2006!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes my placenta was low lying at 19 weeks but a second scan at 30 weeks showed it had moved up just fine. Try not to worry it is very common and as you Dr said usualy corrects itself.
    Good luck

Funkychicken is offline I'm supposed to have a plan? Can't I just be proactive with pep?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I was also told at 20 wks that I had a low lying placenta-2 cm from the cervical neck. I was told also that it had a 95 % chance of moving up. After some anxiety, I had a scan two days ago and all is well. It is now 5 cm from the cervix and that is considered fine. All the best,
    ---------------------------------------------
    Sal-5 wks to go!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a lowlying placenta too at my 18 wk scan..... by the time i had mt 32wk one it had moved...