+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Moving Interstate

I was speaking to my manager from work today and she said that around the time I will be coming back to work there will be a position available in brisbane as well as sydney and I could get a transfer if I wanted to (or just stay in syd). I have lots of friends in brisbane and my mum said she would come too (she wants a fresh start aswell).
    Ds's father very rarely sees him but he would kick up a stink just to be a *****.
    Where do I stand with this? Can I just move if I want to? We don't have any formal visitation arrangements.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know what the legal implications are of you moving interstate, but if I were you I would just go, if that's what you want. HE left to go interstate without YOUR permission so why should you need his, is how I would see it.

Also, I think because you don't have any formal agreements, this would make it easier for you to go. From previous posts I've read from you OBB it doesn't sound to me like he's had much to do with you guys since he moved back - and what's moving back in with his ex all about?!

COME TO BRISBANE! It's where I live - and I'd love A single mummy to be mates with (I'm the only single mummy out of the 'regulars' in my mothers group).

In the end however, do what's right for you. Maybe a fresh start is just what you'll need right now. Good luck with your decision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    do what is best for you and DS im not sure on legal side of things either but 4 U and i hope to see you around the bris threads we are a friendly bunch up here us single mumma's have to stick together

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also think you should do what is best for you and DS. HE didn't consider you when he left you in the lurch, so I wouldn't be offering him any consideration. And it doesn't sound like he's had much to do with DS so far anyway. It might be better for you mentally to put more distance between you.

And also, on a personal note....COME TO BRISSIE!!!! You sound like a nice person, so would love to meet up with you if you come here.

BTW: All other Brissie single mummies - we should arrange a meet? I didn't realise you were all in BrisVegas

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That sounds like it would be great for you career-wise and also to make a fresh start in a new state. If I were you I'd go for it especially with your mum going too. She will be great for some family support and to help you out with bubs. Give Legal Aid a call. The worst that could happen would be if your ex moved too, which he probably wont do. Or if he does go to court for visitation then he would at the most only get school holidays but would he have lost interest by then? I'm not being mean but if these sort of men can take off in the first place then I don't see how they can really care about the child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I spoke to a solicitor concerning my transfer interstate and she said with the new laws it is very hard. You have to get his consent or go through the courts. The best advice she gave me is that you need to make sure your existing job is redundant and you are in a better position to have the interstate transfer approved by the courts. Mind you I am going to seek a second opinion... so keep you posted I what the next solicitor says. Goodluck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chanelc View Post
    I spoke to a solicitor concerning my transfer interstate and she said with the new laws it is very hard. You have to get his consent or go through the courts. The best advice she gave me is that you need to make sure your existing job is redundant and you are in a better position to have the interstate transfer approved by the courts. Mind you I am going to seek a second opinion... so keep you posted I what the next solicitor says. Goodluck
    oh man that sucks. He's the kind of person who if I asked him if its ok for me to move he would say no just to be a ***** even though he doesnt see DS very often. omg, this situation just gets worse.

Let me know how it goes for you and what the new solictor says. I hope it works out. Good Luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    if i was you i would go and have a fresh start if that is what you want to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    With all these crazy changes that are happening really the best thing you could do would be to up and leave the state.

Trust me the courts are a joke.

I went through family law court against my ex and despite him breaking avos numerous amounts of time and being on drugs they really didnt seem to care about what was best for our kids.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Spoke to solicitor today DO READ!!
    He told me that it depends on the state and where you live. Basically as he said;

You need your lawyer to put in an application to transfer and have all the points why you are relocating - it can't be for the sake of leaving your ex - it has to be career advancement etc, you are the main provider.

It all depends on the state and the judge as to what outcome you will get.

Sorry if you live in Canberra he said the judge there is not allowing single parents to relocate even if it is to Sydney!!

In Melbourne where I am he said the chances are good.

The reality it is all about ensuring you have a good case and get the right judge!