+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Question Should we move interstate or not??

Hi all
    Just wanted some advice and opinions. DH and I have been considering moving to Perth, mainly because DH wants a change and to live on the beach and here in Melbourne there arent alot of 'nice' beaches that are close to the city. We are thinking if we move to move in March. Reasons being it will be the best financially and for his work and DD will have finished her first term at kinder. All of our family are in Melbourne but i do have extended family in Perth and a few close family friends, so i dont have a problem with not knowing anyone. DH would also have a job if we moved. But i just cant seem to make a final decision. I am switching back a forward between the two options. One day i get really excited about moving and think its the best decision and then i think that its not the best thing to do and we shouldnt do it. Maybe its because i'm pregnant?? lol. If we stay here we would move house anyway and we would pay off a few debts and DH wants to get a new job. I really dont know what to do. Its not that i dont want to move but i just keep getting doubts about moving. I would love to live on the beach but its a huge decision to move across the other side of the country and i dont think its a decision to just make quickly. And it would also be quite a expensive move too so if we hated it we couldnt move back for a long time. But then i think the change and the fresh start would be really good for us as a couple and a family.
    Any advice or experiences regarding moving interstate would be much appreciated. Thanks heaps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i guess it really is going to be a matter of weighing up the pros and cons of moving interstate, especially from Melbourne to Perth!

I guess as long as ur DH can find work easily enough and financially the situation isnt going to be too draining (it will be to some extent) it is worth a shot

A fresh start would be great and personally if i was in a position to do it then i would be jumping at the opportunity!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    so funny i was reading your post then saw you are due your baby in couple of weeks and thought "wow, imagine even thinking about making a decision like that when you're pregnant and have baby-brain " ... and then remembered that that's exactly what i did! DP, me and a 4 month old loaded the container and came west to perth for many of the same reasons you're thinking about it and even though we haven't found our dream house yet (we want to buy so are making sure we know the places well before we choose) it's fantastic and i highly recommend it providing your DH can get a job and you'r enot not going to be destitue and on the streets, then why the heck not, i say

but i still wouldn't make a firm decision until about 2 months after the bubs comes, just in case it is baby brain and you change your mind on the flight over !

good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi Georgia,
    My DH is from Melb and we lived together in Qld for 4 years before moving back to Melb a couple of years ago. The reason we moved back was to be around family and friends. Sure, the weather is better in Qld but we had very little social life and felt lonely.
    Maybe you could do something on a trial run? eg, rent out your house in Melb for 6 months and rent in Perth. Then decide if it's the right thing for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Georgia,

My husband and I packed up our two boys and left Melbourne in January 06 to move to country vic. I know it's not interstate but I would never now go back. It's been the best thing for all of us work has been relatively easy to find and the boys are so happy everyone is more relaxed. I hope whatever you decide it works out for you.

Tanya

MilkOnTap is offline Rivi Cecilia - my 2nd VBAC Home Birth has arrived!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Big decision! Sounds like an exciting adventure though

A few things to consider. The extended family and 'family friends' that you mentioned that you have in Perth... Are they the kind of people who you could call in an emergency? Or are they the kind where you may/may not catch up once every couple of months?

If you needed to get back to your immediate family/friends in Melbourne quickly or regularly, would you be in a financial position to do so? Or would they be in a position to get to you if need be?

Do you really want a new experience and challenge? Or do you feel comfortable doing 'what your doing'?

Do you love the beach 'that much' that you would move to the other side of the country for it? Beaches in QLD are just as nice; and real estate is about the same price. Plus its cheaper to travel from Bris-Mlb than Pth-Mlb.

I dont mean to be pessimistic - but I've moved i'state quite a few times; and only once was of my own perogative. These are the challenges that I faced; and if I had the option again then I know I wouldn't do it.

I've heard great things about Perth though - and a few months back hubby and I were thinking of trying to get him a transfer there too; the problem for us is that Perth is further from our family in Melbourne than what Sydney is...