+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Expenses in IVF programs

Hi All,
    I'm new to the forum so this may have been discussed before but has anyone else noticed how the expenses from one IVF clinic to another can change dramatically?
    My wife and I are going through the process at the moment and I first want to say that we have been lucky in getting a egg donor match and so far so good.
    However, I have noticed that there are so many expenses that were not (to my recolection) brought to our attention during initial consultations.

Just as a single example, Progesterone Pessaries, which for those of you that know need to be continued after implantation for some time, are through our clinic $6 each. Through IVF Melbourne are $3.30 and through Chem Mart, under $2 each.

When we asked our clinic why this was so, they explained that perhaps their product was different in dosage/quality, etc. Having a background in science and in particular biology and microbiology my wife verified however that all three examples have exactly the same amount of active ingredient, Progesterone BP (200mg) and the only other ingredient in them is the "hard fat" used to contain the active.

Now I know that one can argue the "what price do you put on receiving the gift of having a child" aspect but those of us who have been through this know full well how expensive IVF is. I also have no problem in clinics, which are a business after all, being profitable. Considering however how much is not covered by Medicare I had hoped that the nationwide clinics could have standardised prices on many of the incidentals.

Anyway, I am curious to hear what other people's experiences have been regarding this issue.

Kindest regards,

Frontier!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re expenses in IVF

Hi Frontier

While there is no argument that IVF is expensive, my husband and I didn't find the cost too bad. Due to the number of fertility treatments we had, we found we reached the $3000 medicare threshold pretty quickly. When this threshold was met, we got a lot of money back from the government. This rebate in addition to our private health insurance made the treatments so much more easier on the pockets.

With regard to the varying costs between clinics - I can't comment because we started and finished our treatment at the one place. Maybe we were naive but we just paid for the pessaries at the clinic. I think we paid about $3.00. We didn't even know you could buy them from the chemist!

I know that you have probably heard this before, but from some-one who has been there and done that - when you hold your little one in your arms all the expense and pain of fertility treatment fades immediatley (then when your little one won't stop crying you think - I paid how much money for this !!! - just jokes ).

Wishing you and your wife all the very best of luck with your treatment.

Murphy

Thanks
    Reviews

Smile expenses in IVF

Hi my little boy (9months) is a IVF baby it was a big decision for my husband and I to make. Yes the costs are high but the day you have your little one in your arms after three years of trying you can't even remember how much you spent. I couldn't put a price on my little boy and I thank God to this day there is help out there. If you and your partner really want to start a family and IVF is your only option then my advice would be to do it. Try not to worry about the money think about how happy you'll both be in the long run.
    ethan'smum

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Brisbane cheaper

Hi guys, my name is Claire. I have one beautiful boy, Declan (09/05/03) who was brought into this world thanks to IVF. 6mths ago we attempted to use 2 frozen embryos to give him a sibling but unfortunately we lost those during the process. When reading a bit further into the new costs of a whole cycle again I found that Queensland Fertility Group is apparently one of the cheapest in Aus. Don't know why but We found them to be very professional, compassionate and wonderful people allround. I have just looked at the cost of the pesseries and they are still $3 each, but what I can gather from other info. their overall charges are less than NSW & VIC. We are booking in for our next cycle next week, keeping our fingers crossed.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default okay so the pessaries are approx $2-$3..what about the rest?

interesting conversation so far.
    but i would be intersted to know what the total costs are..assuming you have top private insurance.

im located in sydney and likely to go down this path very soon. as in make an appointment this month with my wife.

is it accurate when they say the total cost is approx $7000, and then out of pocket equates to approx $2000-$2500.

i am aware treatments vary over time, differences. but im just curious to know what the overall expenses are (and then out of pocket expenses) from people that have been there and done that (as opposed to the clinic themselves)