+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 110 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalina View Post
    Is there reliable data on the safety of vaccinating young children? No.

Is there reliable data showing that vaccinating young children would prevent more harm from Covid in that cohort than it would cause? No. This is a really important point - without this vaccinating children is downright unethical.

The data on delta is that it's more infectious, therefore reaches more children, more quickly. Therefore the very, very small percentage of children who visit a hospital seems bigger in absolute numbers.

But that doesn't mean it's more severe, or has a higher pediatric mortality rate.
    There’s no long term data on anything (COVID or the vaccine in adults or children) - it hasn’t been around long enough. Well aside from death, we can all agree that doesn’t change over time! Well I hope not, COVID zombies don’t sound pleasant

It’s up to an individual to decide which way to gamble. I’m putting my bet on vaccination for DD. If there’s a high risk of her catching COVID due to outbreaks near us (before she’s vaccinated) then she will be staying home.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

atomicmama (20-08-2021),HappyDaysAllRound (21-08-2021),Mum-I-Am (21-08-2021),PomPoms (20-08-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    i’m starting to feel conflicted. lots of exposure sites around us. everyone i know is still attending childcare as normal (not like the first lockdown when everyone pulled their kids out) but unless they close childcare centres and kinders, i’m feeling more and more conflicted about what to do. we can’t work with dd home. ds maybe, he’s happy enough to play minecraft for hours at a time or can entertain himself with a bit of help/input from us. but dd is a hurricane. you can’t leave her for 3 minutes, she’s not even 2 and a half. we can’t afford for dh to stop working (he is a contractor so no leave entitlements) so if someone stops/cuts their hours, it’s me. my boss is flexible and would have to help me by working with it, but i don’t want to be on childminding 24/7. work is the only mental relief i have from covid right now. it’s a chance to interact with clients and think and not look at the house and feel stressed about what needs cleaning next. it’s basically all i have left, as sad as that sounds. so yeah, i could give it up but i don’t think i want to or should, for mental health reasons above anything else. just feeling very much on a knife’s edge right now. even the fantasy of escaping to wa is a pipe dream as nobody will take victorians right now. we are literally trapped

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I read this interesting viewpoint on Long Covid last week and thought it might be timely to share.

https://web.archive.org/web/20210324...ly-long-covid/

The interesting stuff starts quite far down but I found this of most interest:

"consider that at least some people who identify themselves as having long Covid appear never to have been infected with the SARS-CoV-2 virus. In Yong’s influential article, he cites a survey of Covid long-haulers in which some two-thirds of them had negative coronavirus antibody tests — blood tests that reveal prior SARS-CoV-2 infection. Meanwhile, a survey organized by a group of self-identified long Covid patients that recruited participants from online support groups reported in late December 2020 that around two-thirds of those surveyed who had undergone blood testing reported negative results."

Up to 2/3 of people attributing symptoms to long covid, potentially never had covid to start with.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Kalina (20-08-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I did read that the other day and it was reassuring. My kids are all way too young to have a vax anyway.

I'll have to talk to the cardiologist when we see them at the end of the year. Ask exactly where DS is on the scale and what the risks are. Last time they were very causal about it, that there's No increased risks etc But maybe there's more knowledge now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    There’s no long term data on anything (COVID or the vaccine in adults or children) - it hasn’t been around long enough. Well aside from death, we can all agree that doesn’t change over time! Well I hope not, COVID zombies don’t sound pleasant

It’s up to an individual to decide which way to gamble. I’m putting my bet on vaccination for DD. If there’s a high risk of her catching COVID due to outbreaks near us (before she’s vaccinated) then she will be staying home.

If only I thought that it'll continue to be up to the individual to gamble, I'd be much more relaxed about it all.

I would only vaccinate my children against something if the vaccine was proven to reduce their risk of harm. I have yet to see a trial which demonstrates benefit of the vaccines to children.

Let's see how long it stays up to the individual to decide.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kalina For This Useful Post:

Janesmum123 (20-08-2021),MissTwiggley (20-08-2021),stacey10 (20-08-2021),turquoisecoast (20-08-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Shepparton (country vic) has gone from 1 to 17 cases in a matter of hours. All weekend sport across the state cancelled immediately and announcement (no doubt statewide lockdown) tomorrow.

We ain't getting to the Gold Coast for the school holidays! 😭😭😭

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    Shepparton (country vic) has gone from 1 to 17 cases in a matter of hours. All weekend sport across the state cancelled immediately and announcement (no doubt statewide lockdown) tomorrow.

We ain't getting to the Gold Coast for the school holidays! 😭😭😭
    I suspect we are going into lockdown as regional tomorrow.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to EnchantedGrace For This Useful Post:

Mod-LIKE A BOSS (20-08-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by EnchantedGrace View Post
    I suspect we are going into lockdown as regional tomorrow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    It sucks, I am in no way looking forward to it, but I think it is necessary... but given the strategy thus far is to lockdown hard and fast, I see no other possible outcome.

An outbreak in regional was only a matter of time, and it just proves that even though the invisible ring of steel was essentially reinstated, there's small gaps, and is not perfect. I can't see that locking down ONLY shep will be successful. We need to learn from NSW LGA lockdowns don't work, and unfortunately the entire state needs to be locked down.
    Last edited by EnchantedGrace; 20-08-2021 at 22:34.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalina View Post
    If only I thought that it'll continue to be up to the individual to gamble, I'd be much more relaxed about it all.

I would only vaccinate my children against something if the vaccine was proven to reduce their risk of harm. I have yet to see a trial which demonstrates benefit of the vaccines to children.

Let's see how long it stays up to the individual to decide.
    The trials for Pfizer in kids under 12 are expected to finish in October. Meanwhile many hospitals in the USA in states with low vaccination rates (in adults) have run out of pediatric ICUs beds. Kids are on ventilators. They are getting RSV and COVID at the same time and they are very sick.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

HappyDaysAllRound (21-08-2021),Mum-I-Am (21-08-2021)