+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Desktop computer

I’m hoping someone can help us.. we currently have a basic laptop. It’s awful. Been on its way out for ages. We are in the position we can buy a desktop computer. Which we have been thinking would be better. But both DF and I have no real clue about computers.

Is there anyone here who could send me links etc to good computers and tell me what I’m looking for?
    I know if we go in store we are gonna be roped into a lot because we don’t know at all.

We aren’t gamers (maybe have the odd kids game for ds though)
    Use word etc a lot.
    Don’t use one a lot except for the basic stuff. So no real requirements.

Please and thank you x

Edit to add.. for how obvious I need help.. I’d be inclined to go to the good guys, just buy the top seller and walk out help me lol
    Last edited by Hasselhoff; 28-07-2021 at 06:23.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We have a HP all in one (no tower, touchscreen) desktop and it's good.

When I needed a laptop, I explained what I would be using it for (mostly word, like you), that I didn't want cheap and nasty, but didn't need the best, and the sales guy was really helpful.

Make sure you buy anti-virus software. If your ds is at school, you can get Microsoft Works for free by using his student email log in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    A Mac would be another option if you’re into Apple products.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    We have a HP all in one (no tower, touchscreen) desktop and it's good.

When I needed a laptop, I explained what I would be using it for (mostly word, like you), that I didn't want cheap and nasty, but didn't need the best, and the sales guy was really helpful.

Make sure you buy anti-virus software. If your ds is at school, you can get Microsoft Works for free by using his student email log in.
    Thank you! This is what I needed to hear haha I am exactly the same, don’t want cheap and nasty but don’t need the best. Where did you go to buy it if you don’t mind me asking? We are limited but have places like jb hi fi, the good guys etc.

Ah yes, won’t forget that lol DS is in year 1, so no idea if that will limit that chance haha I wouldn’t mind if I had to pay for it honestly. It’s a necessity lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    A Mac would be another option if you’re into Apple products.
    We aren’t fussed to be honest, we both have iPhones and DS does have an iPad so we are used to apple products lol
    Is there much difference using a Mac to say a Dell or other brands?

Yes. I am hopeless can work a computer just fine haha just the set up not so great

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasselhoff View Post
    Thank you! This is what I needed to hear haha I am exactly the same, don’t want cheap and nasty but don’t need the best. Where did you go to buy it if you don’t mind me asking? We are limited but have places like jb hi fi, the good guys etc.

Ah yes, won’t forget that lol DS is in year 1, so no idea if that will limit that chance haha I wouldn’t mind if I had to pay for it honestly. It’s a necessity lol
    I went to Harvey Norman. I'd shop around and see which one each of them recommend, and then come home and compare reviews.

You would have likely been given his student email to log into Google classrooms during home learning. There's no age requirement, any student email works (tafe and uni too).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Jb hi fi usually have good prices

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasselhoff View Post
    We aren’t fussed to be honest, we both have iPhones and DS does have an iPad so we are used to apple products lol
    Is there much difference using a Mac to say a Dell or other brands?

Yes. I am hopeless can work a computer just fine haha just the set up not so great
    There’s quite a bit of difference - like using an android phone compared to iPhone.

If you or your DH or DS use non-Apple computers for work or school then you might be better off using a non-Apple computer at home as it’s annoying switching between the two (eg the shortcut keys are different, the way you close programs is different etc). I prefer macs but hate switching. When I quit my job (we used non-Apple computers) I brought a MacBook. But would not have done that if I was still working as my brain would have exploded

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    I went to Harvey Norman. I'd shop around and see which one each of them recommend, and then come home and compare reviews.

You would have likely been given his student email to log into Google classrooms during home learning. There's no age requirement, any student email works (tafe and uni too).
    Thanks! We might do that when we are out of isolation our current laptop is so frustrating I would prefer to throw it out the window.

Ahh I wonder if I have it written down somewhere from when we did home learning. I’ll have to have a look. Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    Jb hi fi usually have good prices
    Thanks! JB online shows some decent ones so we might go have a chat to them when we are free lol

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hasselhoff For This Useful Post:

JustJaq (28-07-2021)