+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Moving from Melbourne to Queensland

I have procrastinated about this move for over a year.

For those who have moved from Melbourne to Queensland:

what did you do in terms of housing? Did you get a removalist? Did you move yourself? How much did it cost?

For those who live in Queensland I'm looking around Ipswitch.
    What towns are good, which ones are bad? What towns offer what?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are doing the same but going up to Cairns. We are currently on holidays we were meant to be going into cairns to look at houses however we are in lockdown in SA. Looks like we won’t be going into QLD for awhile so we are just heading to NT for a holiday. What I ve done is looked at real estate dot com looked at houses in our price range and asked on here awhile ago which areas are good/ not so good. Hopefully we can get up there and look around once this wave of COVID has settled down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecrazycatlady View Post
    We are doing the same but going up to Cairns. We are currently on holidays we were meant to be going into cairns to look at houses however we are in lockdown in SA. Looks like we won’t be going into QLD for awhile so we are just heading to NT for a holiday. What I ve done is looked at real estate dot com looked at houses in our price range and asked on here awhile ago which areas are good/ not so good. Hopefully we can get up there and look around once this wave of COVID has settled down.
    Can you get a property to rent without looking at it? My stuff is already in storage, just a matter of money and where lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Emma1217 View Post
    I have procrastinated about this move for over a year.

For those who have moved from Melbourne to Queensland:

what did you do in terms of housing? Did you get a removalist? Did you move yourself? How much did it cost?

For those who live in Queensland I'm looking around Ipswitch.
    What towns are good, which ones are bad? What towns offer what?
    Long-term Brisbane resident here Ipswich is part of "Greater Brisbane" - sometimes I almost forget it's technically a different city (~200,000+ people vs. Brisbane's 2.6 million).

Where's good/bad probably depends on your reasons for looking around Ipswich, your budget, and your tolerance for commuting time/distance (e.g. you could live in Brisbane's western suburbs and commute to Ipswich every day; people also live in Ipswich and commute to/from Brisbane).

I'd think you probably can rent without inspecting - it's you taking more risk, not the real estate agent / landlord

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by a million dreams View Post
    Long-term Brisbane resident here Ipswich is part of "Greater Brisbane" - sometimes I almost forget it's technically a different city (~200,000+ people vs. Brisbane's 2.6 million).

Where's good/bad probably depends on your reasons for looking around Ipswich, your budget, and your tolerance for commuting time/distance (e.g. you could live in Brisbane's western suburbs and commute to Ipswich every day; people also live in Ipswich and commute to/from Brisbane).

I'd think you probably can rent without inspecting - it's you taking more risk, not the real estate agent / landlord
    I have a friend whom lives in ipswitch. So I can get my belongings there and store them in her garage for the time being, but I don't want it to be long term. I have a pretty high tolerance for travel.
    How easy is it to get rentals? And I job, I have a pathology collector certificate. That's been my main job.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you get a property to rent without looking at it? My stuff is already in storage, just a matter of money and where lol
    I guess you can. We are selling up in vic and buying in Cairns. Hopefully within the nxt six mths or so.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a friend whom lives in ipswitch. So I can get my belongings there and store them in her garage for the time being, but I don't want it to be long term. I have a pretty high tolerance for travel.
    How easy is it to get rentals? And I job, I have a pathology collector certificate. That's been my main job.
    I haven't had to find a rental for a while, so don't know how difficult it is at the moment. I imagine it's easier if you have a job first - there are heaps of pathology labs up here (Sullivan Nicolaides and QML being the main two private ones), plus the state health system, so you could try those?

If it were me, I'd find a job then look for work near-ish to it - but then, I hate commuting Which suburb to live in really depends on your budget, what kind of place you want, and what lifestyle amenities you want nearby.

If you need to move before getting a job and need somewhere to stay short term while you look for work, could you try airbnb or a serviced apartment? A friend of mine is between places and rented an Airbnb for a couple of months to see her through.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My advice would be to first secure work, as you may be hard pressed having your application approved without confirmation of income/ongoing employment.

As for signing a lease without a physical inspection - That depends on their policy. Some landlords would be hesitant to proceed with such an agreement as the tenant may later claim particular aspects of the house are unsuitable once they've moved in. It creates a headache for the landlord, agent and tenant alike, so it's easier for agents to have a blanket rule stating that a physical inspection must be carried out prior. But don't panic, because if your friend is able to attend the inspection then this can be considered good enough.

I'm glad to see you moving forward. xx

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MissTwiggley For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard (25-07-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MissTwiggley View Post
    My advice would be to first secure work, as you may be hard pressed having your application approved without confirmation of income/ongoing employment.

As for signing a lease without a physical inspection - That depends on their policy. Some landlords would be hesitant to proceed with such an agreement as the tenant may later claim particular aspects of the house are unsuitable once they've moved in. It creates a headache for the landlord, agent and tenant alike, so it's easier for agents to have a blanket rule stating that a physical inspection must be carried out prior. But don't panic, because if your friend is able to attend the inspection then this can be considered good enough.

I'm glad to see you moving forward. xx
    Tried to pm, inbox is full

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MissTwiggley View Post

This part here. A gf of mine is moving to SA from regional Victoria at the end of this week. She a new job secured an signed for in the mines in Roxby as a fifo physiotherapist.

She has her cross border pass done BUT now she has had to apply for an exemption aswell due to our borders being up the wazoo. She also has to fly here apparently now and go into quarantine (hence applied for the exemption) at the new airport hotel) and can’t bring her car as she isnt allowed to stop and to get fuel along the way. So the added expense now of getting her car delivered here aswell