+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Miscarriage on progesterone

Hi ladies - has anyone had a loss while taking progesterone? If so, how long after stopping the progesterone did it take for the bleeding to start?

Thanks xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Beary

I'm so sorry to hear your news and for what you're going through.

I've had several - 4 chemicals and 2 missed miscarriages. They were all IVF pregnancies and I was on progesterone for all of them. With the chemicals I started bleeding about 4 or 5 days later. Unfortunately with my missed miscarriages (at 6w and then at around 10 weeks (but baby stopped growing at about 8 weeks), nothing happened for weeks, so I needed assistance to get things going. With the first I had a D&C and with the second I was prescribed misoprostol, which worked well for me.

I'm not sure if that helps you. I know how horrible it is waiting for it to happen.

Take care.

Xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm so sorry for your loss.

My loss (from a FET) was a missed miscarriage (no heartbeat) discovered at our 7 week scan. We had another scan a week later just in case, and I kept taking progesterone during that week. When the second scan confirmed the MMC, I took misoprostrol to initiate the miscarriage rather than wait potentially weeks for my body to realise what was going on. The misoprostol worked, except for a small amount of retained tissue that eventually needed to be removed by D&C (but I'm still comfortable with the medical first approach, as it meant my D&C involved as little risk of scar tissue etc as possible).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you guys for your comments, it sucks but I will survive.

Ok it sounds like I might need some intervention. I’ve stopped the progesterone about three days ago now and I’m having some light spotting but not much is happening. Not sure how much longer I can tolerate waiting

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Beary For This Useful Post:

a million dreams (20-07-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Miscarriage on progesterone

Quote Originally Posted by Beary View Post
    Thank you guys for your comments, it sucks but I will survive.

Ok it sounds like I might need some intervention. I’ve stopped the progesterone about three days ago now and I’m having some light spotting but not much is happening. Not sure how much longer I can tolerate waiting
    If you do take misoprostol, please have your first dose in the morning (as soon as you can after waking up). Everyone takes a different length of time, but I took my first dose around 4:30pm and had the worst of the pain, cramping etc (including passing the embryo) at 2:30am. Being alone in the dark in the middle of the night made everything much worse.

If a partner or friend can spend the day with you on the couch, even better.

Thinking of you x
    Last edited by a million dreams; 14-08-2021 at 16:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by a million dreams View Post
    If you do take misoprostol, please have your first dose in the morning (as soon as you can after waking up). Everyone takes a different length of time, but I took my first dose around 3pm and had the worst of the pain, cramping etc (including passing the embryo) at 3am. Being alone in the dark in the middle of the night made everything much worse.

If a partner or friend can spend the day with you on the couch, even better.

Thinking of you x
    Thank you so much for this tip. I’ve just started spotting today. Hopefully it progresses quickly. I’ve got a GP appointment tomorrow where I’ll try to get a prescription in case things aren’t going quickly enough. Man this sucks!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Beary For This Useful Post:

a million dreams (20-07-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies.

I just had the misoprostal a couple of days ago and it seems to have done the trick. However, I seem to have quite high levels of HCG still in my system.

Can you guys recall how long it took for your levels to come down, and how long till ovulation occurred? I just want this cycle to be over with so things can get back to normal.

Thanks so much.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Beary For This Useful Post:

a million dreams (27-07-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @Beary,

I'm glad the misoprostal worked for you too, as much as it is a sh#tty situation.

From memory, my HCG was still quite high a few days after I took the misoprostal. I can't find the actusl number now, but I remember being surprised at how high it was. It did then drop fairly quickly over the next couple of weeks though.

I've always had pretty irregular cycles, so I'm not sure if my experience is anything to go by, but after I took the misoprostal, I had very heavy bleeding for 2 days, then fairly light for another 4, then spotting for about a week after that. I then had a 55 day cycle (not unusual for me, particularly after an IVF cycle) with a weird 14 day but very light period. Then all of a sudden after that, I started having very regular 28 to 30 day cycles. I haven't had cycles so regular in all my life!

So, the short story is it did take me a couple of months for things get back to "normal", but my cycles had never really been normal...

Take care xoxo

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unicorn78 For This Useful Post:

a million dreams (27-07-2021),Beary (28-07-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Beary View Post
    Hi ladies.

I just had the misoprostal a couple of days ago and it seems to have done the trick. However, I seem to have quite high levels of HCG still in my system.

Can you guys recall how long it took for your levels to come down, and how long till ovulation occurred? I just want this cycle to be over with so things can get back to normal.

Thanks so much.
    Ok, not to worry you (my delayed decline in HCG was due to the retained tissue, I'm sure), but - here are my numbers (77 days total):

13 December (8 days post mc): 1,741
    24 December (19dpmc): 197
    7 January (33dpmc): 26 (LH, E2 and Prog all baseline)
    14 January (40dpmc): 16
    21 January (47dpmc): 13

30 January (56dpmc): D&C to remove retained tissue

13 February (70dpmc): 6
    20 February (77dpmc): “Gone” (P= 41.3; ovulated sometime in the last week)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Unicorn78 View Post
    Hi @Beary,

I'm glad the misoprostal worked for you too, as much as it is a sh#tty situation.

From memory, my HCG was still quite high a few days after I took the misoprostal. I can't find the actusl number now, but I remember being surprised at how high it was. It did then drop fairly quickly over the next couple of weeks though.

I've always had pretty irregular cycles, so I'm not sure if my experience is anything to go by, but after I took the misoprostal, I had very heavy bleeding for 2 days, then fairly light for another 4, then spotting for about a week after that. I then had a 55 day cycle (not unusual for me, particularly after an IVF cycle) with a weird 14 day but very light period. Then all of a sudden after that, I started having very regular 28 to 30 day cycles. I haven't had cycles so regular in all my life!

So, the short story is it did take me a couple of months for things get back to "normal", but my cycles had never really been normal...

Take care xoxo
    Thanks so much for getting back to me. Yes the misoprostol was very effective - I’ve never bled this much before in any of my miscarriages. DH cheered me up by saying maybe this is some really good spring cleaning so my uterus will be in tip top shape after this 🤣

I’ve taken a couple of pregnancy tests over the last few days and they seem to be getting lighter, but still pretty strong. Hopefully the downward trend continues