+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Miscarriage on progesterone

Hi ladies - has anyone had a loss while taking progesterone? If so, how long after stopping the progesterone did it take for the bleeding to start?

Thanks xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Beary

I'm so sorry to hear your news and for what you're going through.

I've had several - 4 chemicals and 2 missed miscarriages. They were all IVF pregnancies and I was on progesterone for all of them. With the chemicals I started bleeding about 4 or 5 days later. Unfortunately with my missed miscarriages (at 6w and then at around 10 weeks (but baby stopped growing at about 8 weeks), nothing happened for weeks, so I needed assistance to get things going. With the first I had a D&C and with the second I was prescribed misoprostol, which worked well for me.

I'm not sure if that helps you. I know how horrible it is waiting for it to happen.

Take care.

Xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm so sorry for your loss.

My loss (from a FET) was a missed miscarriage (no heartbeat) discovered at our 7 week scan. We had another scan a week later just in case, and I kept taking progesterone during that week. When the second scan confirmed the MMC, I took misoprostrol to initiate the miscarriage rather than wait potentially weeks for my body to realise what was going on. The misoprostol worked, except for a small amount of retained tissue that eventually needed to be removed by D&C (but I'm still comfortable with the medical first approach, as it meant my D&C involved as little risk of scar tissue etc as possible).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you guys for your comments, it sucks but I will survive.

Ok it sounds like I might need some intervention. I’ve stopped the progesterone about three days ago now and I’m having some light spotting but not much is happening. Not sure how much longer I can tolerate waiting

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Beary For This Useful Post:

a million dreams (20-07-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Beary View Post
    Thank you guys for your comments, it sucks but I will survive.

Ok it sounds like I might need some intervention. I’ve stopped the progesterone about three days ago now and I’m having some light spotting but not much is happening. Not sure how much longer I can tolerate waiting
    If you do take misoprostol, please have your first dose in the morning (as soon as you can after waking up). Everyone takes a different length of time, but I took my first dose around 3pm and had the worst of the pain, cramping etc (including passing the embryo) at 3am. Being alone in the dark in the middle of the night made everything much worse.

If a partner or friend can spend the day with you on the couch, even better.

Thinking of you x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by a million dreams View Post
    If you do take misoprostol, please have your first dose in the morning (as soon as you can after waking up). Everyone takes a different length of time, but I took my first dose around 3pm and had the worst of the pain, cramping etc (including passing the embryo) at 3am. Being alone in the dark in the middle of the night made everything much worse.

If a partner or friend can spend the day with you on the couch, even better.

Thinking of you x
    Thank you so much for this tip. I’ve just started spotting today. Hopefully it progresses quickly. I’ve got a GP appointment tomorrow where I’ll try to get a prescription in case things aren’t going quickly enough. Man this sucks!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Beary For This Useful Post:

a million dreams (20-07-2021)