+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Singulair for asthma

Has anyone had experience with using Singulair as a preventer for asthma? It is usually well tolerated but the neuropsychological side effects for some kids sound awful. Our dr said “it makes some kids really sad or mad” but further reading says about 10% of kids get agitation, anxiety, depression, nightmares and even suicidal thoughts in older kids.

I know we need to try it but I’m nervous about my already emotional (age appropriate) 4yo developing these issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't have experience with that one, but my DS takes Flixotide, and we've had no issues at all. Do you know why Singulair is being recommended specifically if it has those potential side effects?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I've had it before. The only puffer I had side effects from was the purple one. It would make me hyper and shake.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    I don't have experience with that one, but my DS takes Flixotide, and we've had no issues at all. Do you know why Singulair is being recommended specifically if it has those potential side effects?
    It is non steroidal which is better for long term use and I think has higher success in reducing symptoms. It is also a yummy flavoured chewable so compliance is better in younger kids than inhalers.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

JustJaq (27-06-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    I've had it before. The only puffer I had side effects from was the purple one. It would make me hyper and shake.
    DD1 had over 100 puffs of ventolin in 36hrs, she was shaking like a leaf and bouncing off the walls even though she was exhausted. It’s all so awful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum-I-Am View Post
    DD1 had over 100 puffs of ventolin in 36hrs, she was shaking like a leaf and bouncing off the walls even though she was exhausted. It’s all so awful.
    Gosh poor darling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum-I-Am View Post
    Has anyone had experience with using Singulair as a preventer for asthma? It is usually well tolerated but the neuropsychological side effects for some kids sound awful. Our dr said “it makes some kids really sad or mad” but further reading says about 10% of kids get agitation, anxiety, depression, nightmares and even suicidal thoughts in older kids.

I know we need to try it but I’m nervous about my already emotional (age appropriate) 4yo developing these issues.
    My DD is on this and has been for almost 2 years. Whilst she isn’t on it for asthma (which it is technically only listed on the PBS for) it is used to reduce her mast cell activation. It has been the only thing we have to keep her condition managed (she still gets flare ups when she is otherwise unwell). Like you, I was very hesitant and spoke with several doctors prior to starting.
    My DD’s condition thankfully is not life threatening like asthma but the position we took in the end was that without this treatment she was guaranteed to be miserable, irritable and in pain - hence affecting her behaviour and development too. Putting her on the treatment gave us a few possible outcomes:
    - doesn’t work, no side effects
    - doesn’t work, with side effects
    - works, no side effects
    - works, with side effects
    Thankfully, it’s worked without side effects (she is 4 now too, but I think her development is within normal).

Also, from memory if side effects occur they cease when the medication is withdrawn (though I hope she doesn’t experience any at all if you choose the medication).

Not sure where you are based, but if you do commence the medication, check with your pharmacy if they typically stock it. In the beginning, many pharmacies didn’t stock it (though seems to be less of a problem now) so there were a few times we’d have to do the drive around. We are in Melbourne’s east.

Good luck with your decision, and whatever you decide - hope that your daughters asthma becomes more manageable!

ETA: just read further posts - yes my DD loves her ‘chew chew’ each day 😂

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HappyDaysAllRound For This Useful Post:

Mum-I-Am (27-06-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaysAllRound View Post
    My DD is on this and has been for almost 2 years. Whilst she isn’t on it for asthma (which it is technically only listed on the PBS for) it is used to reduce her mast cell activation. It has been the only thing we have to keep her condition managed (she still gets flare ups when she is otherwise unwell). Like you, I was very hesitant and spoke with several doctors prior to starting.
    My DD’s condition thankfully is not life threatening like asthma but the position we took in the end was that without this treatment she was guaranteed to be miserable, irritable and in pain - hence affecting her behaviour and development too. Putting her on the treatment gave us a few possible outcomes:
    - doesn’t work, no side effects
    - doesn’t work, with side effects
    - works, no side effects
    - works, with side effects
    Thankfully, it’s worked without side effects (she is 4 now too, but I think her development is within normal).

Also, from memory if side effects occur they cease when the medication is withdrawn (though I hope she doesn’t experience any at all if you choose the medication).

Not sure where you are based, but if you do commence the medication, check with your pharmacy if they typically stock it. In the beginning, many pharmacies didn’t stock it (though seems to be less of a problem now) so there were a few times we’d have to do the drive around. We are in Melbourne’s east.

Good luck with your decision, and whatever you decide - hope that your daughters asthma becomes more manageable!

ETA: just read further posts - yes my DD loves her ‘chew chew’ each day
    Thanks, well fist tablet was today so hopefully we don’t have issues. I was actually a bit surprised that the pharmacy had it in stock (just our little local).

I’m so glad it’s worked for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had it prescribed to ds2 under the montekulast (spelling may be off)

He couldn't take it. He has sensory issues and would gag so bad every time. He try so hard, but yeah he just couldn't. So we stopped after a few days.

It wasn't for asthma specifically, and he eventually came good on his own.

No side effects as I don't think he took it long enough
    Last edited by EnchantedGrace; 27-06-2021 at 13:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD took it at age 5 for approx 2 years. Thankfully she didn’t experience any side effects. They really do sound brutal.

As an aside when it was prescribed for DD neither the Dr nor the Pharmacist even mentioned the side effects. I read it on the leaflet and made inquiries before starting her in them! From memory they were thought to be rare and there wasn’t a lot of information, there’s certainly a lot more info now.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlsRock For This Useful Post:

Mum-I-Am (28-06-2021)