+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Kids' fitness tracker & battery safety

Dd1 is getting a fitness tracker - I was thinking the fitbit ace 3, but she has her heart set on a garmin vivofit jr2.

The screen seems very small, is it user-friendly?

I'm a bit concerned because it uses a button type battery - dd1 will be 8 soon so she's old enough to be safe around them, but my dd2 is much younger (will be 2 soon). Is the battery safely secured, impossible for a child to get at?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalina View Post
    Is the battery safely secured, impossible for a child to get at?
    It seems safely secured.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV-K5oeaqYc

That screen really is tiny though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MissTwiggley View Post
    It seems safely secured.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV-K5oeaqYc

That screen really is tiny though.
    It does - thanks, that was useful. I really don't like having those batteries around.

It sounds like it's good, I don't know why they made the screen so tiny though. The jr3 has a bigger screen, but she doesn't want that one because it's square, looks more like a regular watch. A bit of me is starting to regret consulting her.....but I guess she'll be the one using it, so as long as she likes it then all is well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    You can buy ones that charge from a USB . I can’t remember what mine have but it has a charger, rather than having to replace batteries.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Kalina (17-06-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    You can buy ones that charge from a USB . I can’t remember what mine have but it has a charger, rather than having to replace batteries.
    The fitbit ace has a charger, but dd1 wants the garmin. Now that I've consulted her I'd feel bad getting the one I like instead of the one she does, especially since there are pros and cons to both. The reviews are good, I was hoping that someone on bh has some experience with them too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Our DD1 has the garmin vivofit jr2, we bought it her for Christmas. I did look into reviews of various options but liked the fact that you don't need to recharge it, I think the battery just needs replacing once a year. She finds it very easy to use, it's a simple system and the screen is clear enough. Her friend has the garmin vivofit jr3 and her screen is bigger and in colour but DD1 loves hers.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyside For This Useful Post:

Kalina (17-06-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyside View Post
    Our DD1 has the garmin vivofit jr2, we bought it her for Christmas. I did look into reviews of various options but liked the fact that you don't need to recharge it, I think the battery just needs replacing once a year. She finds it very easy to use, it's a simple system and the screen is clear enough. Her friend has the garmin vivofit jr3 and her screen is bigger and in colour but DD1 loves hers.
    Thanks. They seem very popular with kids. I think dd1 wants that one because a few of her friends have it, whereas the jr3 and ace3 are newer and therefore she hasn't seen them much.

I like the fact that it can track things like chores etc, I think that's a really nice feature.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalina View Post
    It does - thanks, that was useful. I really don't like having those batteries around.

It sounds like it's good, I don't know why they made the screen so tiny though. The jr3 has a bigger screen, but she doesn't want that one because it's square, looks more like a regular watch. A bit of me is starting to regret consulting her.....but I guess she'll be the one using it, so as long as she likes it then all is well.
    That's true. Look I do the same with DS - I ask what he'd prefer and as predicted it's hardly ever what I would have chosen for him myself. Try not to regret it though. The way I see it is, if the small screen becomes an issue down the track it will serve as an important internal discovery/lesson for her in fully considering functionality before purchasing an item. It will help to develop that sense. Better for kids to learn it now in small and manageable increments, than to learn it as an adult blowing thousands on credit for shiny new items they want, without fully evaluating it's usefulness.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MissTwiggley For This Useful Post:

Kalina (17-06-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD has a vivofit jr, I’m not sure whether it is a 1 or 2.

It works well for her. She has had it over a year and we haven’t changed the battery. It is very secure you wouldn’t easily get the battery out. Certainly much easier then always charging.

The screen is small, but she only has a small wrist and she mainly uses it as a watch anyway.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

Kalina (17-06-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MissTwiggley View Post
    That's true. Look I do the same with DS - I ask what he'd prefer and as predicted it's hardly ever what I would have chosen for him myself. Try not to regret it though. The way I see it is, if the small screen becomes an issue down the track it will serve as an important internal discovery/lesson for her in fully considering functionality before purchasing an item. It will help to develop that sense. Better for kids to learn it now in small and manageable increments, than to learn it as an adult blowing thousands on credit for shiny new items they want, without fully evaluating it's usefulness.
    Completely agree. I also find myself having to remember that her metrics are different to mine. I very much don't want her to "choose" something because she's deferring to my opinions over her own, especially because at the end of the day it's just a thing. Without turning this into a different kind of thread entirely, my parents always knew best and it's not a healthy way to be.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalina For This Useful Post:

MissTwiggley (17-06-2021)