+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Pcos ladies!

I don't know where to put this so mods please move if it's unsuitable.

I've recently been diagnosed with polycystic ovaries (via ultrasound) but I have yet to do my bloods to confirm the hormone aspect. I do have a history of PCOS before having my first child however at that time it wasn't related to weight as I was a little underweight. My only treatment was multiple rounds of birth control to help regulate cycles. Currently, I also have endo hyperplasia and a really low egg reserve so I don't have the luxury of time to muck around with long rounds of BC and IVF is out of the question.

I had some bloods taken about 12 and 6 months ago both of which have remained consistent in their results including pre-diabetes, high inflammation markers and my cholesterol/trig and liver enzymes being way off the upper limit.
    All of that coupled with me being overweight plus late ovulation and long cycles are pointing toward it being the PCOS once more.

I do need to re-do the blood tests. I have an appointment tomorrow with my GP to discuss but I want to walk in with information.

I've been trying to lose weight for almost 12 months now. I tried calorie reduction and I ended up gaining weight - 10kg to be exact. l tried keto/low carb and with my liver being the way it is, the nausea with a meat heavy diet was horrendous. I feel a lot less nauseated when I have a diet rich in carbs... But if I have PCOS then that's the worst thing I could possibly be doing right now.

DH has started the same low calorie diet I followed and his weight is dropping off, so finding out he lost 6kg over the last 10 days has left me feeling frustrated. I'm now more than determined to get to the bottom of this because obviously it's not the diet that was ineffective, it's my body that's not responding to it.

I don't know what to do from this point onward? How do/did you lose weight and did it help? What has your doctor done to help treat your pcos and restore fertility? Does metformin help? I've seen it mentioned time and time again.

I feel like I'm running around in circles and not getting anywhere. Tell me your stories please - whether of weight loss or pregnancy. I need some hope.
    Last edited by MissTwiggley; 08-06-2021 at 10:14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Pcos ladies!

I was diagnosed with possible PCOS and referred to a dietician when we were TTC #1. I was not looking forward to it, but needed to drop at least 10kg.
    She helped me adopt a low-GI diet. I saw her for about 7 weeks, and averaged about a 7kg loss with the diet changes alone. I’d have kept seeing her longer but I got pregnant!
    With my second pregnancy a couple of years later I had GD and turns out she’s a whizz with GD. Found I could manage it with most of the tips she’d taught me with low GI.
    Anyways, She’s on the Insta, and has heaps of ideas and support options. (Look her up: Robyn Compton). Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MUG81 For This Useful Post:

MissTwiggley (07-06-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @MUG81, thanks lovely! I will ask the GP tomorrow about seeing a dietician and follow Robyn. I'm already at the pre-diabetes stage so it makes sense to adopt a low GI diet from now. I'm burnt out from trying to figure it out on my own, so this might be just what I need to stay on track if nothing else.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MissTwiggley For This Useful Post:

MUG81 (07-06-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Low GI made me lose my pregnancy weight and some. I just need to stick to it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

MissTwiggley (08-06-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Mamasupial, was low GI enough to achieve pregnancy? I know you had to take something to bring your period on, but I don't remember much else.
    Last edited by MissTwiggley; 08-06-2021 at 10:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MissTwiggley View Post
    @Mamasupial, was low GI enough to achieve pregnancy? I know you had to take something to bring your period on, but I don't remember much else.
    Sorry low GI was after I got pregnant. Cutting dairy and having soy helped with one of mine though. I think it was to get DS? I can't remember which one.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    Sorry low GI was after I got pregnant. Cutting dairy and having soy helped with one of mine though. I think it was to get DS? I can't remember which one.
    Oh that's interesting! Was the soy to increase estrogen? My estrogen is too high, hence the hyperplasia. I'm cutting out diary soon as I'm lactose intolerant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MissTwiggley View Post
    Oh that's interesting! Was the soy to increase estrogen? My estrogen is too high, hence the hyperplasia. I'm cutting out diary soon as I'm lactose intolerant.
    With DD1 I used soy isoflavones.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    With DD1 I used soy isoflavones.
    Thanks so much hon, I'll look it up! I only know of soy having an estrogenic effect on the body which I have to be careful with. I think I might seek the advice of a functional medicine GP as supplement wise they can look at the whole picture. My GYN is heavy on conventional treatment/progesterone only therapy which would essentially mean no pregnancy.

Do you remember what your dosage was?