+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Kids Parties

DD turns 4 at the end of the month and is wanting a Frozen themed party (well, a Frozen Elsa cake at least). We are thinking of having it at the local park and keeping it simple. Sausage sizzle (probs more for the parents) plus party food. Given the age, what are some games we could do for the age group +/- the frozen theme? I did see someone post in a FB group about groups that do princess parties in that you pay someone to come dressed as a character and they do some games/face painting etc with the kids. Haven’t broached that with DH yet though

I haven’t been to a proper kids party for years to know what to do anymore! Am I better to have structured games (ie pass the parcel) or just have little activities set up (piñata etc)? The second option could lend itself more to the dress up character option with a face painting station, but then that also feels a bit OTT as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I’ve never done a structured birthday party. It’s just always been let the kids run off the sugar as freely as they wish we do usually do a piñata though. Honestly the best party I’ve done for the kids has been when I hired a face painter and jumping castle (or in your case, the character dress up people instead). Takes a lot of the pressure off you and the kids love it

Thanks
    Reviews
    The problem is if it’s in the park, how do you stop other kids joining in who happened to be there? If you have Elsa rock up everyone is going to run over.

I love organised games, but it’s damn hard work rounding everyone up, even just to sing happy birthday! I guess it depends on your energy levels.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

MLadyEm (14-05-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DD is 5 this year & has had a party every year except last year due to covid. We don’t do games etc, we do have a piñata though that the kids love. They usually just run around the yard & play. I wouldn’t worry to much about games especially if it’s at a park as the kids will more then likely be to busy playing to worry.

DD wants a Cinderella party this year. We have decided to have it at an indoor play centre. Her birthday is the middle of winter & the weather is never usually great so at least inside the weather is not a factor & the mess is not at our house (my favourite part) this is the first year she is wanting to invite friends from preschool & not just have family & close friends too.

Good luck I’m sure it will be great

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMooMumma For This Useful Post:

MLadyEm (14-05-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Kids Parties

We have had 3 kids only parties at our place before . age 5-7. No games as such , but of structured craft and piñata , but the rest of the time is just eating and playing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Would there be space to hide if it rains too?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    A mix of ‘games’ and just general play works well. If they aren’t interested in the games just move on.

Games DD and her friends seem to like are: pass the parcel (but every layer wins a prize these days), musical statues, piñata, treasure hunt.

Everyone expects party bags. Once the cake is done most people know it’s time to go home.

We had 35 for DDs 5th birthday. It was crazy, but lots of fun.

For the theme you can use it for decorations, party bags, prizes etc.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

MLadyEm (14-05-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazza78 View Post
    Would there be space to hide if it rains too?
    Yeah the park we’d go to has a couple of big undercover areas with tables. It’s a huge park, but only a small playground. We’re limited as not many of the playgrounds near us have toilets. I think the ILs have a huge marquee thing too we could ask to borrow.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MLadyEm For This Useful Post:

Kazza78 (14-05-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Play in the park, then the cake and a lolly filled pinata to end it. Trying to organise anything beyond that is life herding cats, and any sort of exclusion game (pass the parcel, musical chairs) always ended in tears up to now (eldest is 5)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SJ565 For This Useful Post:

MLadyEm (14-05-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ565 View Post
    Play in the park, then the cake and a lolly filled pinata to end it. Trying to organise anything beyond that is life herding cats, and any sort of exclusion game (pass the parcel, musical chairs) always ended in tears up to now (eldest is 5)
    That was kind of my thinking. So if we do without the games I could possibly do the character thing with face painting to make it something a little bit special for DD and her little mates. I think that works. I know they play games at Kindy (I’ve seen them doing something similar to duck duck goose) but there’s a LOT of explaining and reiterating while they play. I can’t be bothered with that