+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Ditching the night nappies

My kids are all still in night nappies. It didn't bother me but now DD1 is asking to go on a sleep over. I don't want her to go with a pull up incase she gets teased. She's in grade 1 and is 6.5yo.

She wanted to practise going without which has resulted in 4 days of me washing sheets. She's not yet had a dry night. I'm at home so I can wash every day but... should we just go back to pull ups and postpone sleepovers?

Any advice, stories etc?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    My kids are all still in night nappies. It didn't bother me but now DD1 is asking to go on a sleep over. I don't want her to go with a pull up incase she gets teased. She's in grade 1 and is 6.5yo.

She wanted to practise going without which has resulted in 4 days of me washing sheets. She's not yet had a dry night. I'm at home so I can wash every day but... should we just go back to pull ups and postpone sleepovers?

Any advice, stories etc?
    With my DS1 and DS2, we did not give them a heap of drinks about an hour before bed, if we did it was to sip water, and then we would get them to go to the toilet before bed and wake them up at about midnight and get them to go to the toilet up until they got the hang of their body waking them and telling them they needed to go. Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DS must have been about that age when we started really trying. No milk before bed, taking him to the toilet before we went to bed. It took quite a while but I can't remember exactly how long. Felt like forever!

As for sleepovers, I know when I've taken 100+ grade 3s on camp at least a couple are still in pull ups. So at grade 1, I would estimate that would be a much higher number. You could either give your DD some wipes and a plastic bag she could take to the toilet in the morning, put it all in and give to you when she gets home or the other child's parent could help with discretely disposing of the bag? On camp we would have a system like the latter and none of the other kids were ever any the wiser.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial (09-05-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Thanks. Since I get up at night anyway I could wake her up for the toilet. I'll give that a go.

The sleep over she wants is literally in our street.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    My youngest had a sleepover in year 1 and still wore dry nights. Turns out her friend still had the occasional night accident as well so the mum used those dry night mats and there was nothing to be embarrassed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ds1, we would make him go to the toilet before bed and wake him up around midnight. I was up every 90 mind with ds2 at the time so it wasn't hard.

Ds2... ughhh!! He's outgrown pullups. We take him to the toilet before bed, and usually around midnight. Sometimes he's already wet (1 in 10?) 🤦‍♀️...... maybe 15% of the time he's dry in the morning, and the other times he's wet when I get him up. SOMETIMES I can change him at midnight, and he's wet AGAIN at 7am.

His bed is made with a fitted Terry waterproof mattress protector, then fitted sheet, then a bedpad he sleeps on. - we are using the waterproof night and day ones from Aquarius. They're expensive but 10x better than anything else we've used. Then he has a doona/quilt over the top.

Most of the time I am washing his quilt/doona and the bed pad. The only time I need to do his sheets is when I'd normally do them, or if he scrunches it up..

I saw an incontinence nurse for him recently and it was traumatic. Her response to my comment about washing was "welcome to parenthood". 😡 she suggested getting 1.5L of fluids into him before dinner, then no fluids after dinner... she said so many things, things I consider inappropriate and beyond her scope as a nurse, that I'm still considering a formal complaint.

When I mentioned her comments to ds2s psych (in relation to his meltdown and how it affected bedtimes immediately after) she was gobsmacked, and said it was inappropriate, especially given she was well aware of ds2s asd as it was documented in his file... 😡

I am just persevering with the 2 hours of extra washing a day 😔

8. The Following User Says Thank You to EnchantedGrace For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast (09-05-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I asked DD1 what she would like to do tonight. She wants to keep trying with no pull up. So I asked if she wanted me to wake her at night to go to the toilet. I woke her just then at 9.45 as I'm about to put DD3 back to sleep soon. Hopefully that does the trick.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    ds was 5 at the end of feb. he’s been night dry bar the odd accident for over a year at least. we do pot him just before we go to bed though. will start weaning off that as weather gets warmer though. my sister’s ds is 6 and still wears a pull up to bed. there’s such a range of normal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Even with waking her to go to the toilet, she still wet the bed. Though she did get up to change her clothes. The other nights she didn't.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

Stretched (10-05-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son is almost 11 and is wet most nights.
    Unfortunately this isn’t something you can teach.
    We work with a urologist and have have tried absolutely everything. We are only the strongest dose of the last medication to try and it hasn’t done a thing.
    We are back to the urologist in a couple of weeks and we will be booking in for a Botox procedure. Last resort.
    Whilst my son is sporty, exceptionally smart, confident and popular he still has this.
    He does sleep overs, camps, doesn’t miss a thing. But he is always worried someone will find out. The last few months it has started to wear him down.
    We use pull ups because waking up in the morning to wet sheets just wasn’t helping. My son is such a deep sleeper he doesn’t wake when the sheets are wet.
    Sorry this turned into more of a vent.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial (10-05-2021),Mason98 (10-05-2021)