+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default "Pm" testing...

Can someone please enlighten me on what "pm" testing is?

I'm assuming it's to do with reading.

Also, levels? What level is appropriate for after term 1 first year of formal schooling, just turned 6.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Also called Benchmarking, it's running records with levelled texts. Basically, the teacher is checking for students comprehension, fluency, decoding and other strategies used/what student's need more explicit instruction in to progress with their reading.

Schools determine benchmarks for mid and end of year. The school I taught at last year wanted students at a 9 at the end of kindy (first year of school). I has plenty of students well below level at the beginning of yr 1 that were well above expectations by the end of the year.

I wouldn't stress too much, the most important thing for children in the first year of schooling is developing a love of reading, being exposed to a range of high quality texts and listening to fluent reading from adults around them.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tainted For This Useful Post:

EnchantedGrace (19-04-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tainted View Post
    Also called Benchmarking, it's running records with levelled texts. Basically, the teacher is checking for students comprehension, fluency, decoding and other strategies used/what student's need more explicit instruction in to progress with their reading.

Schools determine benchmarks for mid and end of year. The school I taught at last year wanted students at a 9 at the end of kindy (first year of school). I has plenty of students well below level at the beginning of yr 1 that were well above expectations by the end of the year.

I wouldn't stress too much, the most important thing for children in the first year of schooling is developing a love of reading, being exposed to a range of high quality texts and listening to fluent reading from adults around them.
    Thank you so much. All I know is she was testing him at a 4 but stopped as it was far too easy so was going to retry at 6. She also mentioned he got 99/100 sight words.

He's taught himself to read. Literally. He insists on having subtitles with ANYTHING he watches so he can "read what they're saying".

His teacher did say he can read exceptionally well with a high accuracy and great fluency, but that his comprehension is likely to be where he will be (I can't think of the term she used) but basically, it's what will keep his levels lower as he probably can't fully understand what he's reading even though he's spot on with the words

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our school wants reader level 5 at end of first year
    Level 15 end of year one
    Level 21 end of year 2.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kazza78 For This Useful Post:

EnchantedGrace (20-04-2021)