+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasselhoff View Post
    Can I hijack this thread.. we want to start pocket money for DS but a little lost.. what would you expect reasonable for a 7 year old? What sort of jobs etc and what would pay look like?
    We make him tidy his room and toy room etc but there’s no set jobs?
    For my 8 year old she has to make her bed, put her dishes in the sink or dishwasher, clean up after herself, help put her clothes away, water the garden etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it depends on the child.

I tell ds1 he gets pocket money to spend, it's not directly linked to any one job. He needs to help out, but also not expect that every thing he does is money because he lives in a house with everyone and some things (like picking up your own things, helping with dishes) are just done as part of being a decent person who contributes.

In saying that, he does very little 😏 he brings in the empty bins after they're emptied, keeps the dogs water full (some of the time), helps clear and set the table for dinner and picks up his stuff. Sometimes he helps with the dishwasher.

My parents have offered him a "job" which they will pay him extra for: walk *their* dog 10 mins = $3 he's 14 and only needs short slow walks. If he does 3 in a week they'll round it to %10.

I'm sure if ds1 doesn't take them up on it, ds2 will. He's already saving. Ds1 is hopeless

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Pocket money?

Quote Originally Posted by EnchantedGrace View Post
    I think it depends on the child.

I tell ds1 he gets pocket money to spend, it's not directly linked to any one job. He needs to help out, but also not expect that every thing he does is money because he lives in a house with everyone and some things (like picking up your own things, helping with dishes) are just done as part of being a decent person who contributes.

In saying that, he does very little he brings in the empty bins after they're emptied, keeps the dogs water full (some of the time), helps clear and set the table for dinner and picks up his stuff. Sometimes he helps with the dishwasher.

My parents have offered him a "job" which they will pay him extra for: walk *their* dog 10 mins = $3 he's 14 and only needs short slow walks. If he does 3 in a week they'll round it to %10.

I'm sure if ds1 doesn't take them up on it, ds2 will. He's already saving. Ds1 is hopeless
    My kids don’t get paid for chores but if I have to do something that I expect them to do eg pick up their toys or put their dishes in the sink (youngest is terrible at this) then I take 50c away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasselhoff View Post
    Can I hijack this thread.. we want to start pocket money for DS but a little lost.. what would you expect reasonable for a 7 year old? What sort of jobs etc and what would pay look like?
    We make him tidy his room and toy room etc but there’s no set jobs?
    7 is still pretty young, and you want to make it achievable while it's a new process. I would pick 3 x one off jobs, so there's no chance he won't hit the target. Taking out the bins, feeding the pets on a night a week, doing a load of laundry a week (maybe putting his school clothes in the wash on a Friday, or all the sports gear after the weekend etc)?? Just ideas.
    I would go with $7/week.
    ETA- I would try to make the jobs, or at least most of them, family based- something that contributes to everyone in the house- rather than person specific.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Pocket money?

Quote Originally Posted by SJ565 View Post
    We've just started the Barefoot Investors Family Money guide Pocket Money idea for our 5yo. $5 a week for her. She does 3 jobs and gets the money on pay day if the 3 jobs are ticked off. She gets the money in coins so she can see the money physically exists- too young to grasp e-commerce just yet
    There's a bit more to it with distribution of the money, but the basic gist is age in dollars, 3 jobs, and pay day once a week
    Hello..I hope you and your family are doing well! As you know from our cycling times we have kids the same age so I wondering what 3 chores your DD does? It’s a fine line between expected helping out for the family and those extra things.. so yeah, keen to hear if you didn’t mind sharing? So far our only consistent is set the table but we don’t pay her for that. Making her bed is hit and mostly miss lol I have also warned her that when she turns 6 she’ll be expected to clear all the bowls/plates off the dinner table ( not just her own ) and put them on the bench for me to wash. She can then get her after dinner treat.
    Last edited by amiracle4me; 10-04-2021 at 22:38.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Pocket money?

For those of you that would like some tips on how to do engage your children in financial literacy then this may help.

The Smith Family have put together this free downloadable guide. It looks pretty cool and scarily one fact is that a child’s attitude to money is set as early as 7 years old!

https://helpkidslearnaboutmoney.com....BK3wXZYF2EkxvA

7. The Following User Says Thank You to amiracle4me For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard (11-04-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amiracle4me View Post
    Hello..I hope you and your family are doing well! As you know from our cycling times we have kids the same age so I wondering what 3 chores your DD does? It’s a fine line between expected helping out for the family and those extra things.. so yeah, keen to hear if you didn’t mind sharing? So far our only consistent is set the table but we don’t pay her for that. Making her bed is hit and mostly miss lol I have also warned her that when she turns 6 she’ll be expected to clear all the bowls/plates off the dinner table ( not just her own ) and put them on the bench for me to wash. She can then get her after dinner treat.
    We went with-
    Setting the table on payday night
    Putting the bins out on the street on pay day night- under supervision
    Folding a full basket of laundry

The folding has to be redone, but she'll never to it well if she never does it at all...

Thanks
    Reviews
    We went with-
    Setting the table on payday night
    Putting the bins out on the street on pay day night- under supervision
    Folding a full basket of laundry

The folding has to be redone, but she'll never to it well if she never does it at all...
    Oh cool. Thanks! So she only does the jobs as a one off in the week? Not setting the table every day?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amiracle4me View Post
    Oh cool. Thanks! So she only does the jobs as a one off in the week? Not setting the table every day?
    Nope, just a once a week thing. I think the every evening thing would set her up to fail at this age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope, just a once a week thing. I think the every evening thing would set her up to fail at this age.
    Oh gosh.. your good! My DD has been setting the table every night for about a year but I’m keen to get her to help me clear it once she turns 6. She doesn’t do anything else as religiously tho. She’s a tall kid so I think I forget how small she really is at times. It’s only when I see her tiny Kindy peers that I realise It’s still a fine line between making them responsible and expecting too much.. gah. So hard all this stuff!