+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwimum890 View Post
    Apologies I was just replying to Mamasupial in regards to her particular post. I thought she was looking for Non hormonal contraceptive.
    No no I want it for contraception. I'm just scared it will send my anxiety crazy. I haven't used contraception for 8ish years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    No no I want it for contraception. I'm just scared it will send my anxiety crazy. I haven't used contraception for 8ish years.
    I think the copper iud is still around. I can remember a member here getting one 5 or so years ago.

Diaphragms are another non hormonal contraception. Very old fashioned and can be a passion killer having to stop an insert it. My mother had one back in the 80s/90s and I think they were old then. Just putting it out there incase that's an option you weren't aware of.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    I think the copper iud is still around. I can remember a member here getting one 5 or so years ago.

Diaphragms are another non hormonal contraception. Very old fashioned and can be a passion killer having to stop an insert it. My mother had one back in the 80s/90s and I think they were old then. Just putting it out there incase that's an option you weren't aware of.
    copper iud is still around as my ob offered me one after dd was born (2019). she also offered to tie my tubes but i said no way, that’s too extreme! i declined the copper iud as i didn’t want something inside me. but non-hormonal options are limited. we still just use pull out method as there’s really nothing else.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial (28-03-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If I were you OP I’d give it a go. Everyone reacts differently to it and if the bleeding is an issue it should slow it down eventually after a few months. I have adenomyosis & had the mirena but I couldn’t handle the hormonal mood swings / (got quite depressed). I had it removed after 6 months. It worked to control the bleeding but I still had quite severe pain each month. The endometrial ablation won’t do anything for adenomyosis as the growths are in the wall/ muscle of uterus. The ablation only removes lining. Best of luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by green tea View Post
    If I were you OP I’d give it a go. Everyone reacts differently to it and if the bleeding is an issue it should slow it down eventually after a few months. I have adenomyosis & had the mirena but I couldn’t handle the hormonal mood swings / (got quite depressed). I had it removed after 6 months. It worked to control the bleeding but I still had quite severe pain each month. The endometrial ablation won’t do anything for adenomyosis as the growths are in the wall/ muscle of uterus. The ablation only removes lining. Best of luck
    Thanks. Still undecided but am considering it. My dilemma is partly because I'm not convinced it's my adeno causing the period issues. My scan report and measurements suggest it hasn't changed at all, I don't see why it would suddenly cause issues. And i don't have any pain or anything so having the extra bleeding under control with the mini pill while I decide takes the pressure off.
    As for ablation, I haven't really looked much into it because it's not something I've considered, but I think that they do use it for adeno where it doesn't go too deep into the muscle. A friend of mine has awful bleeding and pain from adeno and her gyno, one she was referred to on the basis of his experience with adeno, wants to try ablation with her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How old are you @Kalina ?

Has your doctor mentioned perimenopause?

Flagging because I found my periods got very very heavy with large clots after I turned 40.
    My understanding is the perimenopause can also cause hormonal changes that can affect the thickness of the lining of the uterus.

My memory is hazy because it was a few years ago, but I was sent off for an ultrasound due to mid cycle bleeding and the report came back with thick uterine lining. My doctor said it was due to hormonal imbalances from perimenopause. Excess progesterone? dropping estrogen levels? or I could have it the wrong way round!
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 01-04-2021 at 12:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    How old are you @Kalina ?

Has your doctor mentioned perimenopause?

Flagging because I found my periods got very very heavy with large clots after I turned 40.
    My understanding is the perimenopause can also cause hormonal changes that can affect the thickness of the lining of the uterus.

My memory is hazy because it was a few years ago, but I was sent off for an ultrasound due to mid cycle bleeding and the report came back with thick uterine lining. My doctor said it was due to hormonal imbalances from perimenopause. Excess progesterone? dropping estrogen levels? or I could have it the wrong way round!
    I recently turned 44. I think it is perimenopause, even though my doctor keeps banging on about the adeno. When I was doing ivf a few years ago I had diminished ovarian reserve, like, very diminished - that can only be worse now right. I think it's both estrogen and progesterone that go loopy in the perimenopause years, which would cause all those things you mentioned.

That's my other hesitation about the mirena actually. After all the years ttc dd2 - the constant monitoring, the losses, the d&cs, the transfers, the hysteroscopies and so on..... it's just really nice to not have anyone poking around in my whoo-ha. And the GP warned me that sometimes mirenas get dislodged and have to be searched for and re-positioned.

I probably should just put on my big girl pants and do it, chances are it would be fine.
    Last edited by Kalina; 01-04-2021 at 13:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My doctor recommended Mirena and I said no for lots of reasons.

My symptoms have gotten worse over the years and I was very glad to WFH last year because heavy periods are difficult to manage at work. This thread has actually made me second guess myself and am wondering if I should take a second look at it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My doctor recommended Mirena and I said no for lots of reasons.

My symptoms have gotten worse over the years and I was very glad to WFH last year because heavy periods are difficult to manage at work. This thread has actually made me second guess myself and am wondering if I should take a second look at it.
    Go for it, you’ll never look back. I think I commented above about my experience

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kazza78 For This Useful Post:

SSecret Squirrel (01-04-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Mirena

For anyone that has only had Caesareans, they recommend it having it placed in theatre.
    I had vaginal birth, but had a polyp to be removed too, so had to have it done in theatre. When I’m due to have it replaced , I’ll be very happy to book myself in to private hospital again to be knocked out again.