+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    3,908
    Thanks
    2,938
    Thanked
    4,925
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default Mirena

    Another thread made me think about this, didn't want to hijack so posting separately.

    Anyone happy to share their experiences with Mirena?

    I had some checks done because my period became heavier and longer than usual, resulting in anaemia and an iron infusion. Basically it's either my adenomyosis causing it or perimenopause. Not sure if the reason matters - no pain or anything, just more bleeding than I'd like to be contending with.

    My GP suggested a mirena. I went on the mini pill to bring the bleeding under control and have found that good. It doesn't interfere with breastfeeding dd2, and other than having to remember to take it every day at the same time it's been fine. From what I've read about mirena, once you have it fitted you can have up to six months erratic bleeding before things settle - what are people's experiences with this?

    Eta the advantage of it for me would be not having to remember the mini pill every day.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    5,242
    Thanks
    2,525
    Thanked
    1,506
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default Mirena

    I had my 2nd baby at age 40.5, I then had heavy periods. I discovered I had a small polyp and adenomyosis.
    When I stopped bf, I went to theatre to have polyp our and mirena in.
    Periods lightened straight away, then got lighter and lighter. By 6 mths I was down to a very light 7 day period with no spotting days in between. I’m in love with it.
    Please try not to read the bad things. You’re cycle length and ovulation days are exactly the same as before, the only difference is that for this first 6 mths or so, you may have about 10 days each cycle with a 50c piece size spotting in pad a day. It gets better and better.
    It doesn’t make periods erratic . Eg. having a 13 day period , cycle length changing etc. it’s your normal cycle . A lot of stories you read are from women who don’t understand their cycle . You still see yourself ovulating every month etc
    Last edited by Kazza78; 26-03-2021 at 13:21.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kazza78 For This Useful Post:

    Kalina (26-03-2021)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    8,772
    Thanks
    7,681
    Thanked
    7,143
    Reviews
    21
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazza78 View Post
    Please try not to read the bad things. You’re cycle length and ovulation days are exactly the same as before, the only difference is that for this first 6 mths or so, you may have about 10 days each cycle with a 50c piece size spotting in pad a day. It gets better and better.
    It doesn’t make periods erratic . Eg. having a 13 day period , cycle length changing etc. it’s your normal cycle . A lot of stories you read are from women who don’t understand their cycle . You still see yourself ovulating every month etc
    Wait... what?

    Are you saying the Mirena does not cause more bleeding than spotting? Or that those people don't know their cycles? 🤨

    I beg to differ. I'm well in tune with my cycles, know when I'm ovulating etc. Also, if I had waited 6 months to stop "spotting", I surely would have been hospitalised from the amount of blood I was losing everyday.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

    Kalina (26-03-2021)

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    5,242
    Thanks
    2,525
    Thanked
    1,506
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default Mirena

    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    Wait... what?

    Are you saying the Mirena does not cause more bleeding than spotting? Or that those people don't know their cycles? 🤨

    I beg to differ. I'm well in tune with my cycles, know when I'm ovulating etc. Also, if I had waited 6 months to stop "spotting", I surely would have been hospitalised from the amount of blood I was losing everyday.
    Was your uterus more than 150 mls volume? As it doesn’t work as well .
    There is usually something else going on if it doesn’t work like it should. Like adenomyosis causing pain and enlarged uterus. Polyps/fibroids that were not removed first
    Adenomyosis can be caused by uterine surgery
    Last edited by Kazza78; 26-03-2021 at 16:19.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kazza78 For This Useful Post:

    Kalina (26-03-2021)

  8. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    3,234
    Thanks
    4,043
    Thanked
    4,227
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazza78 View Post
    Was your uterus more than 150 mls volume? As it doesn’t work as well .
    There is usually something else going on if it doesn’t work like it should. Like adenomyosis causing pain and enlarged uterus. Polyps/fibroids that were not removed first
    Adenomyosis can be caused by uterine surgery
    I'm sorry to hijack this thread, but after reading the adenomyosis thread, I went back and had a read of my most recent ultrasound reports and it says:

    It is bulky measuring X (removed for privacy) with a uterine volume of 170 ml. The myometrium is symmetrical and heterogeneous in nature.

    My sister has adenomyosis and while my periods are regulating, I am getting a lot of clots and excessive bleeding on the first and second day and then it tapers off to nothing by day 5 or 6.

    Now I'm wondering if I have it too. Is there any solution for it other than the mirena?

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to MissTwiggley For This Useful Post:

    Kalina (27-03-2021)

  10. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    3,908
    Thanks
    2,938
    Thanked
    4,925
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MissTwiggley View Post
    Is there any solution for it other than the mirena?
    The only evidence-based treatment that I'm aware of for those wanting to ttc or at least not prevent pregnancy involves IVF, and again, that's only done in cases where they think the adeno is affecting implantation. For the non-IVFers....that involves down-regulation, overriding or sometimes even turning off your body's production of estrogen to calm the lining before embryo transfer.

    Eta the jury is out on the extent to which adeno affects fertility. It seems to vary.
    Last edited by Kalina; 27-03-2021 at 09:25.

  11. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    14,180
    Thanks
    4,527
    Thanked
    4,516
    Reviews
    15
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have adenomyosis and it was suggested I have the Mirena and I’m pretty sure I wrote a thread here when I first got it as initially I could always ‘feel it’ and it was bothering me. I also wanted to know how long the erratic bleeding would be.

    Well, I’ve had it for 3 years I think now and it took about 3-4 months to settle and for me to no longer ‘feel it’ (was scratchy as a result of the string) but I am back to regular 28 day cycle, no longer clotting and heavy.

    My only regret is that I didn’t get it sooner (I used to take the pill).

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

    Kalina (26-03-2021)

  13. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    3,908
    Thanks
    2,938
    Thanked
    4,925
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Uniquey View Post
    I have adenomyosis and it was suggested I have the Mirena and I’m pretty sure I wrote a thread here when I first got it as initially I could always ‘feel it’ and it was bothering me. I also wanted to know how long the erratic bleeding would be.

    Well, I’ve had it for 3 years I think now and it took about 3-4 months to settle and for me to no longer ‘feel it’ (was scratchy as a result of the string) but I am back to regular 28 day cycle, no longer clotting and heavy.

    My only regret is that I didn’t get it sooner (I used to take the pill).
    Yeah I think having the string there would annoy me, I can't imagine not feeling it but I suppose you get used to it.

  14. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    5,242
    Thanks
    2,525
    Thanked
    1,506
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default Mirena

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalina View Post
    Yeah I think having the string there would annoy me, I can't imagine not feeling it but I suppose you get used to it.
    I never felt the strings ever. They can cut them in a certain way so they curl up and only end up around 1/2 cm long

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kazza78 For This Useful Post:

    Kalina (26-03-2021)

  16. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    14,180
    Thanks
    4,527
    Thanked
    4,516
    Reviews
    15
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

    Default Mirena

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalina View Post
    Yeah I think having the string there would annoy me, I can't imagine not feeling it but I suppose you get used to it.
    Omg initially I didn’t think I would persevere with them (I’m not a sook I have a high pain tolerance etc) but they felt to me like fishing line scratching my insides, and particularly when walking when I first Mirena. After a month or so I had to have the usual check-up to see how it was going and I believe the Gynae gave them a trim. Even since then they don’t ‘scratch’ anymore and I do sometimes feel them but as you said, I’m used to it now.

    I do know my Sister said her husband could ‘feel’ hers and that was mentioned by the Gynae that sometimes men can feel them.

    Eta: I do have a prolapse and retroverted uterus so perhaps that’s why I felt the strings?
    Last edited by Mod-Uniquey; 27-03-2021 at 12:49.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

    Kalina (27-03-2021)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Mirena IUD
    By Michele Crocker in forum General Child Health Issues
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-09-2010, 09:29
  2. Mirena
    By Nothereanymore in forum Contraception issues
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-09-2006, 14:39
  3. Mirena IUD
    By MummyCharmzy in forum Contraception issues
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 13-06-2006, 13:57
  4. Has anyone else had a Mirena IUD
    By Jolou in forum Conception issues & ttc
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 13-06-2006, 13:55
  5. Cost of Mirena?
    By Jaileth in forum Beauty
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 21-03-2006, 09:42

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

FEATURED SUPPORTER
ProSwimProSwim runs learn to swim classes for babies, children and adults. Our indoor centre in Plympton Park has lessons all ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...

ADVERTISEMENT