+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Adenomyosis

Hi everyone just after some advice. I have a long history of PCOS and struggled with IVF for DD2 finally giving birth to her 3 and a half years ago. Since then my periods have returned and pretty clockwork (very strange for me). For the last 6 months though I have been struggling with low ferritin and at one point was anemic. I had various tests which have come back fine. Last month I requested a pelvic ultrasound as CD1 of my period is pretty heavy and I experience large clots, although after that they are very light. I have no pain but just wanted to check things out. My ultrasound showed no signs of PCOS which I am really pleased about and the conclusion is all seems ok. The report does mention though that my my myometrium is heterogeneous and my uterus is bulky. When I Google this it always seems to suggest Adenomyosis, is this the only cause of these issues and if so should I seek help or is there not much that can be done? Could this be causing my iron issues?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hello. I developed adenomyosis after having a Caesarean with second baby- first was natural. It’s pretty common after uterine surgery. Mine was only a small amount, so I had a mirena put in asap to stop it’s progress . I wasn’t planning anymore kids. The pill will make it worse.
    Are you planning more children?
    The only way it can be cured though is hysterectomy.
    There is a fb group adenomyosis support group Australia and New Zealand you could join

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kazza78 For This Useful Post:

Heyside (26-03-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazza78 View Post
    Hello. I developed adenomyosis after having a Caesarean with second baby- first was natural. It’s pretty common after uterine surgery. Mine was only a small amount, so I had a mirena put in asap to stop it’s progress . I wasn’t planning anymore kids. The pill will make it worse.
    Are you planning more children?
    The only way it can be cured though is hysterectomy.
    There is a fb group adenomyosis support group Australia and New Zealand you could join
    Thanks Kazza78, we would love more children but I don't think it's possible, we had a 4 year struggle with IVF for DD2 and we can't face that again, plus I am now 40. I really don't want to use contraception at this point as I think for the first time in forever my hormones are some what balanced and I am very happy to be having natural periods, really don't want to mess with that.

I think my biggest concern at the moment is my doctor hasn't discussed this with me and I am going on my own conclusions. The results of the ultrasound was all is ok. I think I will have to make an appointment to speak with him. Do you think the fact my report mentions the myometrium is heterogeneous and bulky suggests adenomyosis? Will definitely have a look at that group thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @Heyside the bulky uterus/heterogeneous lining does suggest you have it.

Mine didn't cause any symptoms (from memory about a third of cases are asymptomatic) and I have no idea if it was part of the reason we struggled with secondary infertility. Are there measurements in your US report? If so, they can tell you a bit about how pronounced it is. It generally gets worse with time, because it's exacerbated by estrogen so every time you ovulate it'll have an effect, as will IVF or medicated transfers.

It can cause heavy or even erratic periods, but it's not the only thing that can do that. I recently went for a pelvic scan too because of heavier and longer than normal bleeding, basically to rule out any nasties - my GP concluded that it must be my adeno causing it, but I know I also had very low ovarian reserve even 5 years ago so I'm more inclined to think it's perimenopause.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalina For This Useful Post:

Heyside (26-03-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    As soon as your periods start bothering you though with heaviness and low iron, I would def suggest having a mirena to stop its progression

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kazza78 For This Useful Post:

Heyside (26-03-2021),Kalina (26-03-2021),Mod-Uniquey (26-03-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, tranexamic acid and nurofen will slow the flow massively

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kazza78 For This Useful Post:

Heyside (26-03-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalina View Post
    @Heyside the bulky uterus/heterogeneous lining does suggest you have it.

Mine didn't cause any symptoms (from memory about a third of cases are asymptomatic) and I have no idea if it was part of the reason we struggled with secondary infertility. Are there measurements in your US report? If so, they can tell you a bit about how pronounced it is. It generally gets worse with time, because it's exacerbated by estrogen so every time you ovulate it'll have an effect, as will IVF or medicated transfers.

It can cause heavy or even erratic periods, but it's not the only thing that can do that. I recently went for a pelvic scan too because of heavier and longer than normal bleeding, basically to rule out any nasties - my GP concluded that it must be my adeno causing it, but I know I also had very low ovarian reserve even 5 years ago so I'm more inclined to think it's perimenopause.
    Thanks for that info @Kalina. It was never mentioned through our IVF struggle so presuming this is a new thing. I can't see measurements in the report just my endometrium measurement which was 10mm. My periods are generally light, just CD1 which can be heavy and very clotty, they usually only last 5/6 days and CD3 onwards pretty light. Typical I am thinking things are sorting themselves only to find other issues.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyside For This Useful Post:

Kalina (26-03-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Op your symptoms do sound like adenomyosis as have always had low iron stores and am anaemic with super heavy AF, clots etc. No fertility issues though, but ridiculously heavy, clotty and long in duration AF.

The GP suspected adenomyosis and therefore I had pelvic scans etc and saw a Gynecologist who said I had a bulky uterus and the results/scans etc showed Adenomyosis. I straight away went on the Mirena which had helped considerably as my only other option was a hysterectomy which I want to avoid at all costs.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Heyside (26-03-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the info from everyone here. Have made a decision to see GP soon and discuss results and a possible referal to a gynecologist.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heyside For This Useful Post:

Kalina (26-03-2021),Kazza78 (26-03-2021),Mod-Uniquey (27-03-2021)