+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default 14yo Boys

Anyone else with a 14yo looking to chat and share parenting ideas? I didn’t grow up with brothers and my boy is the eldest out of our families/friends so we’re a bit out on our own for hints and tips.

My DS is lovely and actually pretty well behaved (albeit computer obsessed) but the whole self care thing (eg looking after skin with pimples, doing his hair etc) hasn’t kicked in and I don’t know how to get through to him. He just can’t be bothered doing it and even tooth brushing has become a battle again

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

Green Cheese (15-03-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a 14yr old son. He is pretty well behaved, he used to be always in his room playing online games but he’s into fitness now thank goodness and it gets him out the house, I’m lucky because his self care is pretty good, he showers daily and brushes his teeth twice a day I’m not sure how I got him to do all of it but he naturally wants to look after himself... however his room with plates everywhere is another story!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MuMtORiLeYandLeO For This Useful Post:

ICanDream (13-03-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks - he’s happy to shower as he too does sport but I’m not sure he actually washes his hair and I know he’s not washing his face when his pimples break out. If he is washing them he’s not doing it properly!

Nothing seems to get through to him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there! My DS1 will be 14 in September. He’s generally a great kid who is right into mountain bike riding and soccer. I’m actually really enjoying this age as he’s very open with me and we have a strong relationship. I’m hoping it stays that way as he gets older but so far so good!

He’s good with self care and is actually on a low dose antibiotic for his acne. Luckily he’s a fairly confident kid and it doesn’t bother him too much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm seems I lucked in with one that just doesn't seem to be bothered by his appearance

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 14yo son is an amazing kid but literally does not care at all what he looks like lol and is quiet lazy with things but I found if I offer to pop a face mask on for him and use a facial massager etc his super keen which I was surprised about but maybe try it?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cake154 For This Useful Post:

ICanDream (17-03-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    Hmm seems I lucked in with one that just doesn't seem to be bothered by his appearance
    There’s an exfoliating face wash it helps with pimples etc and you only need to use it once a week in the shower, I think nivea is a good one but it’s been a long time since I bought one but my son was open to using it awhile back when he had a couple of pimples. I know what you mean though, when they are set in their ways and don’t want to do something nothing works maybe after nagging everyday but that’s exhausting too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    My friend is convinced her 14 y/o loved the introduction of mandatory face masks as it meant he didn’t have to brush his teeth cause no one could smell his breath anymore.

She’s glad he swims 4 mornings a week as it means at least he’s in water, even if there’s no soap involved as it’s better than nothing.

As for clothes, he lives in a pair of track pants with a hole in them.

I think you’re not alone!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlsRock For This Useful Post:

ICanDream (17-03-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlsRock View Post
    My friend is convinced her 14 y/o loved the introduction of mandatory face masks as it meant he didn’t have to brush his teeth cause no one could smell his breath anymore.

She’s glad he swims 4 mornings a week as it means at least he’s in water, even if there’s no soap involved as it’s better than nothing.

As for clothes, he lives in a pair of track pants with a hole in them.

I think you’re not alone!
    Haha that’s so funny, swimming better than nothing, I remember my brother as a teen and he never showered and he smelt like he was homeless it was horrible. I’m sooo secretly happy my son showers everyday and brushes his teeth, I don’t show him how happy Iam about it though incase it has the opposite effect

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I like describe ds1 room as a breeding ground for something and all covid ppe is required to entire it stinks that much

15. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

ICanDream (17-03-2021)