+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Breastfeeding & Daycare

I am stills exclusively BF my DD who is almost 8 months.

She is starting daycare next week for 1 day per week.

I am hoping/going to try continue with BF but just not sure how to go about sending milk and keeping up my supply.

Any tips or things you wish you knew before doing this would be much appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I expressed 3 times while on my work days and sent frozen milk to daycare. Anything in particular you want to know?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

Loh4 (16-03-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    I expressed 3 times while on my work days and sent frozen milk to daycare. Anything in particular you want to know?
    I wasn’t sure whether to send fresh or frozen, but maybe frozen is the way to go as I am unsure how much DD will actually drink as I haven’t given her bottles and DP can’t recall what she has taken the couple of times she’s had a bottle.

Did it take you a while to get into a routine?

I’m trying to figure out whether I build up a bit of a stash in the freezer and then what I’m expressing on the day she goes add to the stash I have so I always have extra to send if needed, I’m really not sure

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD was a similar age when she started daycare 1 day a week. She started refusing bottles maybe a month or two before she started meaning loads of stress from me. I’d send milk, but she wouldn’t drink it. Bottle, sippy cup, teaspoon, syringe... her educators tried it all. In the end I spoke to my child health nurse and she reassured me that DD would be fine without it for that period of time (I wasn’t back at work at that point, so she was only there 6hrs max). It saved the stress for sure.

Check with your daycare what they prefer too. Ours prefers it either fresh or defrosted as they don’t have the means to safely defrost it appropriately. I’d send a couple of bags with roughly 100ml in them. If I could, I’d send fresh so it didn’t have to be thrown out regardless of consumption and could freeze when I got home.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MLadyEm For This Useful Post:

Fi Poledancer (14-03-2021),Loh4 (16-03-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loh4 View Post
    I wasn’t sure whether to send fresh or frozen, but maybe frozen is the way to go as I am unsure how much DD will actually drink as I haven’t given her bottles and DP can’t recall what she has taken the couple of times she’s had a bottle.

Did it take you a while to get into a routine?

I’m trying to figure out whether I build up a bit of a stash in the freezer and then what I’m expressing on the day she goes add to the stash I have so I always have extra to send if needed, I’m really not sure
    I send in different sizes frozen and they put the first one in the fridge and the rest in the freezer. Some bags were 50mls, others were 100mls etc So when she was getting used to it they didn't have to waste too much milk. She actually didn't take the bottle at all before starting but they managed to do it. Such a relief.

The routine didn't take long but I'd definitely build up a stash. Sometimes after work I would have her feed on one side and express on the other. That's when I got the most milk.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

Loh4 (16-03-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I sent formula 🙊 I was lucky my supply held out and I fed all 3 of my boys for 11-15 months. But I hated expressing and didn't want to do it at work. I did get blocked ducts a fair bit but I was expecting that and ok with it 😊 my sister pumped religiously and sent milk to daycare for her son

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fi Poledancer For This Useful Post:

Loh4 (16-03-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Loh4 View Post
    I am stills exclusively BF my DD who is almost 8 months.

She is starting daycare next week for 1 day per week.

I am hoping/going to try continue with BF but just not sure how to go about sending milk and keeping up my supply.

Any tips or things you wish you knew before doing this would be much appreciated!
    Hey love my mum is watching the twins and I’m back at work one day per week. They are 8 months also.

On this day I pump 2-3 times at work. I get about 600mls which is enough for both of them. I am away from them on this day from 7.30am - 5.30pm. They have three “meals” during the day with her, and some snacks so they’re totally fine! Meals consist of steamed fruit, steamed veg and one baby rice or baby cereal serve! Baby will be fine! Just getting used to it will take a bit xo

12. The Following User Says Thank You to shellzand For This Useful Post:

Loh4 (16-03-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have tested the Tommee Tippee baby bottles. I have found a review of them https://miniscreeni.com/best-bottles...eastfed-babies, and they look perfect, at least very similar to a real breast.
    Last edited by joanapalmer; 02-04-2021 at 03:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My LO started daycare a bit older than yours (11 months). She had always refuse the bottle (could do it just didn’t like to).

At daycare she sometimes has milk and sometimes doesn’t so I gave up ok pumping and gave her formula. Pumping seemed a waste of time.

She still refused the bottle most of the time but ate way more solids and drank more water so it was fine. Also I don’t pump during the day anymore and my supply seems fine - she caught up on other days. I think at eight months your supply is so well established that you probably only need to pump to get whatever amount of milk you want, not to keep up supply.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beary For This Useful Post:

Kalina (16-03-2021),Loh4 (16-03-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for the response.

I started trying to stash some before her first session on Friday and DP had to give her some today so all I have is 190ml across 2 bags

Slightly stressed but hoping I can get a bit more before she attends.

I’m hoping she will eat while she is there so I don’t need to worry too much about her milk intake for this day.