+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Thoughts on Celeste Barber?

Interested to hear what people's take on her humour is.

Do you think she's hilarious, or is her mocking of female celebrities Instagram posts kind of mean-spirited?

Is she flogging a dead horse by continuing to do what she is doing, or is it still funny?

My DH can't stand her. He thinks she is "hot shaming" (his words) women. He believes a lot of the models, for example, are actually quite insecure and would be hurt by what Celeste does.

I personally thought she was kind of taking the p!ss out of herself more than the celebrity, but maybe she is actually being nasty (?)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    Interested to hear what people's take on her humour is.

Do you think she's hilarious, or is her mocking of female celebrities Instagram posts kind of mean-spirited?

Is she flogging a dead horse by continuing to do what she is doing, or is it still funny?

My DH can't stand her. He thinks she is "hot shaming" (his words) women. He believes a lot of the models, for example, are actually quite insecure and would be hurt by what Celeste does.

I personally thought she was kind of taking the p!ss out of herself more than the celebrity, but maybe she is actually being nasty (?)
    I really enjoy Celeste Barber. I can see both sides. I think from watching her Instagram stories every day she isn’t intending it to be mean spirited, I think it’s more poking fun at the fashion industry. However, in general, I don’t like the phrase “real women’s bodies” because models/ladies with model shaped bodies are also real women.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard (22-02-2021),Mod-Degrassi (22-02-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I generally like her. But having said that, I only became aware of her due to her bushfire fundraising last year and didn't know much about her prior to that.

From what little I've seen of her, she is mocking the ridiculousness of the fashion industry and social media not individuals per se. Happy to be corrected. As I said, I've only seen a small fraction of her stuff so could have the wrong take on where she is coming from.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi (22-02-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

My DH doesn’t like her either, and his opinion of her was cemented when she was hosting the Fire Fight Concert, he found her loud and ott.

I like her, I find her funny, I not long watched a make-up ad she did for Model Co and I found it funny.

As for her videos, most of the time the celebrities ‘like’ her posts and/or tag the celebrity or model she’s mocking. I must admit having seen so many of them the novelty’s worn off for me in the funny stakes, but some of them are a crack-up. I don’t honestly think she means any malice or body shaming especially of the individual person, I think it’s more the fashion industry as a whole, and think she’s trying to convey the opposite.
    Last edited by Mod-Uniquey; 22-02-2021 at 14:25.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

she doesn’t really resonate with me, i’ll be honest. i don’t believe there’s any malice or bad intent in what she does, but i don’t really find it that funny either.
    Last edited by turquoisecoast; 22-02-2021 at 15:16.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I’m a fan. I do find her funny. I don’t feel like she makes fun of people themselves as such, but more fashion, social media and the unrealistic expectations of what women are “supposed” to look like. I’ve followed her for a few years now and while some of her posts are repetitive, I do find her refreshingly real. I also think she did really well considering the amount of **** that got heaped on her after the bushfire appeal. She came out and admitted that she made a mistake saying she was going to donate to X Y Z when the terms of the fundraiser didn’t allow it. I think a lot of people were angry at their own inability to read the fine print. 🤷‍♀️

She has admitted that she has ADHD, so perhaps that is why some people find her too much? In her “challenge accepted” tour, she talks about this and how her experience in high school was a bit ****.

Also, she played Bree the ambo on All Saints back in the day, that’s where I first know her from.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MLadyEm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm only peripherally aware of what her shtick is, but have seen the occasional p*ss-take of heavily staged celeb poses. Just struck me as tongue-in-cheek social commentary, nothing to do with the individual celeb. Kind of draws attention to how insipid the whole thing is - like that campaign some time ago that had men posing, scantily clad, in the same poses that female models and celebrities are often posed in, with the same vapid facial expressions. It looked so ridiculous, and in doing that drew attention to how female sexuality in pop culture has been reduced to making women look like blow-up dolls.

Also, I would say that you can't "hot shame" someone in the way that you can body shame a person who may not fit the media ideal - it's like saying that "reverse sexism" and "reverse racism" are comparable to actual sexism and racism. They're not.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalina For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi (23-02-2021)