+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Low fetal weight - anyone experienced a similar situation?

Hi everyone. At my 20 weeks scan they picked up that bub was measuring small and referred me to the fetal medicine unit. I’m now being cared for by them solely and have been getting regular scans to check on growth. I’m now 30 weeks and growth has slowed down dramatically so they are thinking baby will need to come out very soon. What I wanted to know is, how accurate is the estimated fetal weight they give you? Does anyone have any similar experiences? X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    From memory they allow for a 10% margin of error.

My DD had IUGR and was born at a similar gestation. Her guesstimated weight from an ultrasound the day before she was born was high 700s (grams). She was born weighing 860 grams.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok yes my baby has IGUR too, they suspect placenta issues. How long did your baby have to stay in the nursery? Did it have any issues? Also what made them decide to take her out? Did she stop growing altogether?
    Last edited by AX2018; 19-02-2021 at 22:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi
    my DD also was IGUR I had an induction at 36 weeks. She was born 2.2kg no special care thank goodness. She just turned 4 last mth..She is starting to catch up in size and hight for her age now..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AX2018 View Post
    Ok yes my baby has IGUR too, they suspect placenta issues. How long did your baby have to stay in the nursery? Did it have any issues? Also what made them decide to take her out? Did she stop growing altogether?
    There was a chromosomal abnormality in her placenta. She was born early because she went into fetal distress (I was admitted to hospital when the doppler ultrasound showed issues with the cord bloodflow).

She stayed in hospital until around her due date.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've had two that have been IUGR and SGA. Both were induced at 37 weeks, they were born at 2.5kg. I had weekly scans, they thought that they were a lot smaller than they actually were. DS2 did not go to NICU, his blood sugars were monitored every 3 hours, same as DS3 every 3 hours although he went to NICU for breathing. But if you saw them now you would not have guessed they were so small. It is a stressful time, unfortunately the ultrasound is only a guide and isn't exact science, there is room for error.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for sharing. That’s great that you made it to 37 weeks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow so about 10 weeks? That’s a long time. I think my baby will have to stay a similar period of time. Ok but she’s otherwise healthy now? How old is she?

Thanks
    Reviews
    She's 16 now.

She had a relatively cruisy time in the NICU. We had some moments, but overall she was very lucky and just needed to grow.

If you are going to deliver soon, I would definitely mentally prepare yourself for your baby to stay until around the due date. Anything else will be a bonus!