+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I only have one kiddo, I still just get ready with him, he's usually awake by the time I get up but still just laying in bed sort of snoozing but not sleeping.
    He still has a shower with me in the morning and night, eats with me, since he's been going to school he's usually 20 minutes early.
    I just find it an easy way to keep him motivated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have a 14 and 11yo and COVID changed their life. Being home day after day they suddenly were more than able to get their own lunch I found out!

So now we all get up around 7.15 - shower either the night before or morning I don’t mind. They get their own breakfast and now make their own lunch.

Dress themselves with only the odd “you’re not wearing that” to the non school uniform child.

Ask them if they have what they need for the day followed by an “are you sure? Have you actually looked”. If they forget it they go without and deal with the consequence.

I was far too easy on them this time last year and remote learning really shocked me into making them do more. It’s not always pleasant in the mornings but it was time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Getting kids to get ready on time

I have a 12, 10 and 8 year old who have been getting themselves to school for almost a year since I went back to work full time when covid hit in March last year.

I leave for work at 7:30 most mornings. They get the 8:30 bus. So they are home for about 45 mins and manage to get themselves to school.

I get up at 6 and make lunches and get myself ready for work. I have to shower in the morning. I don’t drink coffee so a shower is like my caffeine hit.

My children know they have to eat breakfast, get dressed, brush hair and teeth and pack their bags before they do anything else. No tv, iPad etc. They have to at least put their breakfast dishes in the sink and rinse them, make their bed etc.

Strongly believe that an 11 and 9 year old should be able to get themselves ready in the morning without much intervention.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Also want to add that mine shower or bathe at night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do as much as you can the night before, set out their clothes etc. for the morning and communicate your expectations of them for the following day - from when they get up to when they walk out the door. Explain the consequences for poor behaviour in the morning (loss of privileges, for example) and stick to it in the evening no matter what. Getting them into a routine benefits everyone - it's hard starting a day of work already frazzled and stressed out.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elevatormusic For This Useful Post:

JR03 (08-02-2021),Kalina (08-02-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    As pp have said we get organised the night before - check the school timetable to see what sports , library ect are on the next day so bags are packed ready to go , I do lunches the night before as well and he showers before bed every night - I get all
    his uniforms and sports stuff ready on Sunday night so every morning he just grabs his clothes
    I’m huge on setting alarms/reminders as I have always had to go to appointments during the day so I have my alarm go off ten mins before I leave to pack up and leave the house/office so he’s always been used to that since he was literally born!

so his alarm goes off at 6.35am 10 min snooze then he gets up feeds the dog, packs his lunch and gets breakfast (if he’s hungry most days he just grabs an apple or banana) that’s usually by 7, he then sits and watches tv and just chills for 20 mins then his “getting dressed” alarm goes off - he literally puts on his uniform, tie and shoes then brushes his teeth and goes to the toilet then he’s out the door by 7.30 , very rarely he’s not ready on time and it’s just a consistent routine since kindy (i used to help dress him up until 3rd class as it was quicker but now he’s 10 and in year 5 so extremely capable of dressing himself quickly )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks I needed a sounding board and from a few of the other posts I don’t think I am expecting too much. I did everything myself at that age too and though I’m happy to make their breakfast (because I know they’ll just eat cereal otherwise or won’t eat) it bothers me to do anything else for them as I know they’re capable. I’ll try a checklist and see if that helps .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have 6 that go to school, 3 now in high school so the only thing I do for them is lunches, 3 in primary and one at home. The primary ones are 6 yr old twins and a 9 yr old. The only thing I really do for them is make their lunches. They know where their school uniforms are, so they get dressed, one of the twins makes her breakfast by herself the other usually wants toast so I do that. One is definitely more onto it that the other who is a bit slower to get ready, the slower one I remind to clean her teeth the other one will have done everything while the other one is still eating her breakfast, but she is also the early riser of the two. The 9 yr old does his thing and likes to be out the door by 8.15:at the latest, so he usually takes the twin that ready to school, and if the other one isn’t ready she will go with one of the high school kids. The ones at primary school have their showers at night, well 5 out of 6 have them at night.