+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 17 eggs, no blastocysts

Hi ladies,

I’m hoping someone out there may have been in a similar situation to me & has positive news & been able to fall pregnant.

I’ve had 3 IVF cycles & endless tests that don’t explain my infertility....my AMH levels are fine.

1st cycle 12 eggs collected, 11 fertilised, only 2 made it to blastocyst.
    1st transfer ended in chemical pregnancy
    2nd transfer failed

2nd cycle 13 eggs collected, 12 fertilised, only 1 made it to blastocyst & frozen

3rd cycle 17 eggs collected, 15 fertilised, 1 transferred at day 4, 0 made it to blastocyst

I’m now at 6dpt with the latest cycle, negative pregnancy test this morning & can’t help but feel this one has failed too.

We still have the one frozen embryo to try after this cycle....

Has anyone else been in the same situation where egg numbers don’t seem to be the issue but most of them stop growing after day 3-4?

The embryologist told me if it’s purely egg quality they shouldn’t make it past day 3 but a lot seem to get to day 4-5 then break down or have too much fragmentation...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi. Sorry to hear what you’ve been through.

Have your husbands sperm DNA fragmentation tested ? After day3 it’s more the sperm taking in charge.
    I’m not an expert n didn’t experience the same. But it might be helpful to look into it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by IVFjourney View Post
    Hi. Sorry to hear what you’ve been through.

Have your husbands sperm DNA fragmentation tested ? After day3 it’s more the sperm taking in charge.
    I’m not an expert n didn’t experience the same. But it might be helpful to look into it.
    Thanks for the reply! I read something about the Sperm DNA test from all my googling this week...I don’t know much about it but will definitely ask the Dr when I have my follow up appointment. He had a whole round of tests last year & they were perfect but I don’t know if it included this test....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Sounds similar to me. I put it down to egg quality and started taking CoQ10. After a few months on that we were successful with our DD. While TTC her we did 4 rounds of IVF.

1 - fresh cycle. 12 eggs collected, 10 fertilised, 1 transferred only 1 to freeze. Ended in miscarriage at 7 weeks.

**started CoQ10 and acupuncture**

2 - FET chemical pregnancy.

3 - 4 eggs, 2 fertilised. 1 transferred, nothing to freeze. Unsuccessful cycle.

4 - 21 eggs, 20 mature, 14 fertilised, 1 grade 3 transferred, nothing to freeze. Successful pregnancy with DD now 3 (nearly 4)

With my now 8m old DS I started taking CoQ10 at least 6 months prior to us starting IVF again.

1 - 3 eggs collected, 2 fertilised, 1 transferred. Nothing to freeze. Successful pregnancy with DS.

I did my IVF though a low cost/bulk billing clinic and by all accounts we were classed as “unexplained” infertility. They were only aiming to have 2-3 eggs collected per cycle and transfer day 2-3. I have/had polycystic ovaries and my AMH was high because of that. Funnily enough, during my pregnancy with DS, my obstetrician said that there was no evidence of polycystic ovaries at all even though during all my earlier investigations showing a very clear “pearl necklace” look in both ovaries. I honestly believe the CoQ10 made a huge difference for me. I didn’t do acupuncture this time around because my acupuncturist moved and I struggled to commit to a new one. Hopefully this brings you some hope. It’s a really crappy time when you have to do fertility treatments and they still aren’t working.
    Last edited by MLadyEm; 29-01-2021 at 15:26.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MLadyEm For This Useful Post:

JustJaq (29-01-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews

Definitely recommend sperm DNA fragmentation testing. That isn't our issue, but our FS had my husband tested for it after many failed transfers (i.e. it's not part of the 'standard' set of tests, even for a FS)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I know its not much help but I think it’s fairly standard for only 10-20% to make it to blastocyst. I had 15 eggs harvested and my friend whose an embryologist predicted 2-3 would make it to day 5. She was right, 2 did.

I’ve done 4 cycles, I’m PC so produce lots of eggs normal. I was donating to my sister and I’ve given her about 50 eggs but none was a baby. Just many miscarriages.

I had better luck with my own cycles though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MLadyEm View Post
    Sounds similar to me. I put it down to egg quality and started taking CoQ10. After a few months on that we were successful with our DD. While TTC her we did 4 rounds of IVF.

1 - fresh cycle. 12 eggs collected, 10 fertilised, 1 transferred only 1 to freeze. Ended in miscarriage at 7 weeks.

**started CoQ10 and acupuncture**

2 - FET chemical pregnancy.

3 - 4 eggs, 2 fertilised. 1 transferred, nothing to freeze. Unsuccessful cycle.

4 - 21 eggs, 20 mature, 14 fertilised, 1 grade 3 transferred, nothing to freeze. Successful pregnancy with DD now 3 (nearly 4)

With my now 8m old DS I started taking CoQ10 at least 6 months prior to us starting IVF again.

1 - 3 eggs collected, 2 fertilised, 1 transferred. Nothing to freeze. Successful pregnancy with DS.

I did my IVF though a low cost/bulk billing clinic and by all accounts we were classed as “unexplained” infertility. They were only aiming to have 2-3 eggs collected per cycle and transfer day 2-3. I have/had polycystic ovaries and my AMH was high because of that. Funnily enough, during my pregnancy with DS, my obstetrician said that there was no evidence of polycystic ovaries at all even though during all my earlier investigations showing a very clear “pearl necklace” look in both ovaries. I honestly believe the CoQ10 made a huge difference for me. I didn’t do acupuncture this time around because my acupuncturist moved and I struggled to commit to a new one. Hopefully this brings you some hope. It’s a really crappy time when you have to do fertility treatments and they still aren’t working.
    Wow thanks for this! This does sound very similar to me! I’ve never heard of CoQ10? Can I just buy it from a chemist or do need a script? I was just looking into acupuncture too so I think I might try both for a few months before we try another cycle.
    This has given me so much hope thank you!! I’m so happy you were able to have two precious babies after going through all those cycles too ☺️

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by a million dreams View Post
    Definitely recommend sperm DNA fragmentation testing. That isn't our issue, but our FS had my husband tested for it after many failed transfers (i.e. it's not part of the 'standard' set of tests, even for a FS)
    I will definitely ask about this...I can’t believe it’s not a standard test included when they first test the sperm. They tested him early on too & we basically ruled out that his sperm were the issue...the more I’ve read about it I don’t understand why they didn’t suggest it because he does work around chemicals most days at work too which sounds like can cause the issues....

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hopeful11 For This Useful Post:

a million dreams (06-02-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Wise Enough View Post
    I know its not much help but I think it’s fairly standard for only 10-20% to make it to blastocyst. I had 15 eggs harvested and my friend whose an embryologist predicted 2-3 would make it to day 5. She was right, 2 did.

I’ve done 4 cycles, I’m PC so produce lots of eggs normal. I was donating to my sister and I’ve given her about 50 eggs but none was a baby. Just many miscarriages.

I had better luck with my own cycles though.
    Thanks, I know I shouldn’t get my hopes up too much when I start a cycle but the FS said she expected 3-4 good embryos each time so I felt devastated when we only managed 1-2 & then they didn’t work either....this last cycle almost broke me 😞 when I heard we had 17 I cried I was so happy thinking I’ll definitely get 3-4 this time but to hear 16 fail & they could only transfer one that wasn’t looking too good crushed me....
    I’m so sorry to hear about your sister too. That must be heart breaking for both of you xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful11 View Post
    Thanks, I know I shouldn’t get my hopes up too much when I start a cycle but the FS said she expected 3-4 good embryos each time so I felt devastated when we only managed 1-2 & then they didn’t work either....this last cycle almost broke me when I heard we had 17 I cried I was so happy thinking I’ll definitely get 3-4 this time but to hear 16 fail & they could only transfer one that wasn’t looking too good crushed me....
    I’m so sorry to hear about your sister too. That must be heart breaking for both of you xx
    Sorry I should clarify, she already had a DS from a donated egg from my other sister. So she just decided her happiness bucket was full. Like you, too many cycles broke her. But it does only take one. The cycle that made my nephew had 15 eggs, only 1 fertilised. The others didn’t even start the race. They transferred day 3 as there was nothing to be gained by waiting. And it worked!

Is the sperm fresh or frozen?