+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Rental - End of Lease Clean

Looking for feedback. We are waiting to hear back on some applications to move to a different rental, so trying to be proactive in packing and getting quotes for us to vacate this property.

When we last moved we just cleaned our own rental and did everything (minus pest treatment) and we were successful in receiving full bond back. However this time we are moving from a much larger house and have 2 young kids vs 1. I am debating whether getting an end of lease cleaner in is worth it or not. So looking for experiences have you used a cleaner and still had the agent pull things up? I don’t really want to spend the money and would happily do myself but just feel like it’s going to be tough going time wise and it may be worth the money for reduced stress, hassle and efficiency.

We have to have steam cleaning of carpets & pest done regardless.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    We haven’t rented in a long time but we mostly used a bond cleaner, preferably the one recommended by the agent, so that they took up any issues with the cleaner rather than us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Rental - End of Lease Clean

Quote Originally Posted by bezzy View Post
    We haven’t rented in a long time but we mostly used a bond cleaner, preferably the one recommended by the agent, so that they took up any issues with the cleaner rather than us.
    We always did exactly the same thing. I didn’t have time to be re-cleaning if the property manager had an issue. Always worked well for us and it was money well spent. The last rental we moved out of, the agent had an issue with the carpet cleaning so the guy had to come back and re clean the carpet at no expense to us.

ETA it was also a mammoth effort to clean the house each week for open homes when we sold recently and that was with DD at the in-laws..
    Last edited by MLadyEm; 24-01-2021 at 19:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bezzy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MLadyEm View Post
    We always did exactly the same thing. I didn’t have time to be re-cleaning if the property manager had an issue. Always worked well for us and it was money well spent. The last rental we moved out of, the agent had an issue with the carpet cleaning so the guy had to come back and re clean the carpet at no expense to us.

ETA it was also a mammoth effort to clean the house each week for open homes when we sold recently and that was with DD at the in-laws..
    Do you remember roughly what you paid? Assuming it’s all dependent on size though.

I will speak to our agent when I give notice to ask if they have preferred, didn’t even know this was a thing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loh4 View Post
    Do you remember roughly what you paid? Assuming it’s all dependent on size though.

I will speak to our agent when I give notice to ask if they have preferred, didn’t even know this was a thing!
    FWIW I paid $500 for an end of lease clean in 2007. I have no idea how that compares to now. But it was in Canberra in December and there seems to be a mass exodus from Canberra at that time of the year and cleaners could charge whatever they wanted and still be fully booked. So having said that it may be comparable to what you would pay today in other cities.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We are in a small country town, used the cleaner that the real estate recommended - 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom house and they charged us $600. They did a fantastic job. The place was exceptional

Thanks
    Reviews
    I’m so sorry I don’t remember, we last rented 7 years ago while we were building. I always remember it was cheaper to pay the cleaner than have DH take the day off work to help me out cleaning. Those bond cleans would be hard with just one person.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the responses, definitely going to find out & get a quote.

I’m thinking it’s possibly going to be worth the money vs trying to get it cleaned by myself while juggling two kids & a dog, and moving to another house!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have utilised an end of lease cleaner at a few properties we've vacated, with varying levels of success.

In my experience, they always miss a few things, so I would recommend getting the cleaner in a couple of days prior to handing in the keys.

Ideally, go with a cleaner that the real estate recommends/uses. You want one that will come back promptly if something is missed.

One thing I noticed on our last vacate was that the real estate noted that they are not obliged to allow you to return if something has been missed on their cleaning checklist. This made me extra nervous, especially when I returned to find our cleaner hadn't cleaned to what I consider to be of a high standard (she was not the real estate's cleaner - I tried to book them but they didn't return my call). I had to touch up a few things - I didn't bother calling the woman back to clean and just did it myself (I was really p!ssed off though).

In short, I think it's well worth it. It takes me soooo much longer to clean than a professional would. In our 20 years of renting (8 properties), we received full bond refunds every time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have used end of lease cleaned serval times and I think it’s totally worth it to not have to worry about doing it yourself. The last place was a very large 3 bedroom townhouse with carpets & we paid $400 all up. The house had pre- existing marks on the walls so i didn’t bother paying extra for the walls to be cleaned as I felt it would be pointless. It included inside windows but not outside (we just did these ourselves).

We got our bond back with no issues. The cleaners recommended by real estate agents usually quite double what you could get elsewhere in my experience so I’d definitely recommend shopping around. Most of them have a guarantee so they will return to clean anything you’re not happy with.