+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    193
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked
    110
    Reviews
    0

    Default Can you cease daycare?

    ... even if it's only been a month since my 2 year old started? Is there a penalty?

    The two days of daycare she attends has added so much more work/stress to my day, it's not really worthwhile...from colds to stomach flu/vomiting to headlice outbreaks and foot in mouth... I've also been sick 1/2 the time.

    I know it's part of the daycare experience but damn...the policies surrounding kids presenting with illness seems quite relaxed. I keep mine home and have mostly paid for nothing...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    2,334
    Thanks
    4,492
    Thanked
    3,228
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What does the agreement say about the notice period? You can cease care at any time I would have thought. The penalty will depend on the agreement.

  3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mod-LIKE A BOSS For This Useful Post:

    Elevatormusic (20-01-2021),Hetty (19-01-2021),JustJaq (18-01-2021),MissMooMumma (19-01-2021)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,889
    Thanks
    2,214
    Thanked
    2,365
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes of course, anytime you want. Follow your own family's needs.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    7,331
    Thanks
    8,458
    Thanked
    7,717
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There will be a notice period, usually 2 weeks and you will have to pay for that.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    9,253
    Thanks
    1,670
    Thanked
    5,427
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep. Just contact the service and say you wish to cancel.

    You'll need to either attend a notice period, as some have said it's generally 2 weeks, but I am aware of some serviced where its more, or pay for the fees anyway.

    One thing to be mindful of, is that your child MUST attend on their final day if you get or will claim for the rebate through centrelink. Unless it's changed in the last 6 months - I had to take my child, or "sign them in for an hour", otherwise there was something where we'd have to pay full fees for so long

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to EnchantedGrace For This Useful Post:

    Elevatormusic (20-01-2021)

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    14,795
    Thanks
    10,119
    Thanked
    11,265
    Reviews
    13
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EnchantedGrace View Post
    Yep. Just contact the service and say you wish to cancel.

    You'll need to either attend a notice period, as some have said it's generally 2 weeks, but I am aware of some serviced where its more, or pay for the fees anyway.

    One thing to be mindful of, is that your child MUST attend on their final day if you get or will claim for the rebate through centrelink. Unless it's changed in the last 6 months - I had to take my child, or "sign them in for an hour", otherwise there was something where we'd have to pay full fees for so long
    Yep this still stands. It comes from centrelink and their payments of childcare subsidy to the centre. If your child doesn't attend on the last day then centrelink doesn't pay the centre CCS and the centre obviously don't want to be out of pocket so the full fee goes to you.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

    Elevatormusic (20-01-2021),EnchantedGrace (19-01-2021)

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    459
    Thanks
    483
    Thanked
    313
    Reviews
    2

    Default Can you cease daycare?

    Something else to consider - this is part of her building her immune system and is going to happen at some point, whether it be day care, preschool or school. If you take her out you’re just delaying the illness.

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    11,487
    Thanks
    5,807
    Thanked
    7,109
    Reviews
    9
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hetty View Post
    Something else to consider - this is part of her building her immune system and is going to happen at some point, whether it be day care, preschool or school. If you take her out you’re just delaying the illness.
    This. My DD is 7, attended daycare from 10 months old and in the first 2 years of school, had from memory 3 days off in total. 2020 was a little different as she had a few days off for sniffles and waiting on covid test results. As expensive as it is, I would rather they miss daycare due to illness than school.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

    Hetty (20-01-2021)

  13. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    459
    Thanks
    483
    Thanked
    313
    Reviews
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    This. My DD is 7, attended daycare from 10 months old and in the first 2 years of school, had from memory 3 days off in total. 2020 was a little different as she had a few days off for sniffles and waiting on covid test results. As expensive as it is, I would rather they miss daycare due to illness than school.
    I’m a teacher and I feel the same way, would much rather them miss school than day care.

  14. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    193
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked
    110
    Reviews
    0
    I'll hang in there for the time being...she gave me her cold, which was just mild for her but has turned into viral laryngitis for me 😭


 

Similar Threads

  1. Can you start toilet training at 9months?
    By justme in forum Constipation, Toilet Training
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 14-10-2005, 10:29
  2. Can you give birth without a support partner?
    By Ryally in forum Birth & Labour Questions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-09-2005, 12:24
  3. Can you write your own Naming Ceremony?
    By katyg in forum Naming Days, Christenings & Baptisms
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 25-07-2005, 10:27
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 13-06-2005, 07:00
  5. How early can you really test?
    By RuthK in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-03-2005, 19:28

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

FEATURED SUPPORTER
Swim AustraliaSwim Australia are the leading learn-to-swim experts, and national swim school authority. With over 600 Registered Swim ...

ADVERTISEMENT