+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecrazycatlady View Post
    what are the schools, public transport and general area like? I have never been that far up Qld DH has been there numerous times and loves it.. I am ok with the hot weather, not so much with the cold hance the move.
    cairns has pretty good public transport with buses going everywhere, out to the northern beaches etc, so I wouldn’t think that would be a problem at all. There is a reasonable choice for schooling as far as I’m aware, a few private schools, I live an hour north and some of the kids go to school down there, both the private and cairns high school. I think you get good and bad within all, schools so it’s really just a matter of choosing which school you’d prefer, also to my limited knowledge of the schools down there, they don’t have zones etc so you can go to which ever school you want.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to stacey10 For This Useful Post:

Thecrazycatlady (17-01-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by stacey10 View Post
    cairns has pretty good public transport with buses going everywhere, out to the northern beaches etc, so I wouldn’t think that would be a problem at all. There is a reasonable choice for schooling as far as I’m aware, a few private schools, I live an hour north and some of the kids go to school down there, both the private and cairns high school. I think you get good and bad within all, schools so it’s really just a matter of choosing which school you’d prefer, also to my limited knowledge of the schools down there, they don’t have zones etc so you can go to which ever school you want.
    This is not correct regarding Cairns schools, they are all catchment managed and there are definitely catchments you would want to avoid.

Also the public transport is pretty average. Yes it exists, but I don’t know of a single person who uses it for their daily commute.

I have just moved from Cairns to Brisbane. I loved Cairns, but be warned it is significantly more hot and humid and wet then Brisbane.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-DJ Nette View Post
    This is not correct regarding Cairns schools, they are all catchment managed and there are definitely catchments you would want to avoid.

Also the public transport is pretty average. Yes it exists, but I don’t know of a single person who uses it for their daily commute.

I have just moved from Cairns to Brisbane. I loved Cairns, but be warned it is significantly more hot and humid and wet then Brisbane.
    well the public transport is certainly better than our non-existent one, and I know a couple of people who use it regularly so I guess it depends on who you know, if they have zones at the schools down there, I’m not sure how the kids from here get to go to which ones they choose to go to including cairn high, Smithfield high, the private one at Smithfield and also redlynch one.... maybe they can because they’re totally out of the Cains area. As in most large towns, small/large cities there are always areas one would probably try and avoid, and I never said that there wasn’t, but I still stand by the fact that you can send your kids to a supposedly top notch school and the child doesn’t do well or can get bullied, just the same as a school that isn’t as advantaged, maybe not quite as much but it is still there in most schools.
    Last edited by stacey10; 17-01-2021 at 20:59.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to stacey10 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    They are definitely catchment managed, but they can take out of catchments. I think Redlynch and Smithfield have some capacity for out of catchment (plus Smithfield catchment extends almost to Port). Cairns High is selective so does take out of catchment if you meet certain academic or sporting achievements, but they are at capacity and are very strict on catchment - I know people who have moved just to get in catchment. Private schools aren’t usually catchment based.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well if op has approx 500k I’m sure they’d be able to find a house within the catchment area if they chose to send their kids to that school.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to stacey10 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    what are the schools, public transport and general area like? I have never been that far up Qld DH has been there numerous times and loves it.. I am ok with the hot weather, not so much with the cold hance the move.
    Well if you want hot you’re coming to the right place! I’m in Moreton Bay Area, not far from northlakes, I liked redcliffe and deception Bay Area, nice seaside town, although I don’t think dbay primary schools are very good. But they have a private one there otherwise Rothwell has a good one. You should get something decent for that price. I would avoid morayfield and caboolture which isn’t that much further, at all costs. Sunshine Coast way, I have been all around glasshouse mountains etc and never smelt anything weird. Sunny coast is abit Pricey, depends how many bedrooms you need but for 3 and up it’s a lot, and for the price you’ve got they tend to be a lot of units and townhouses, I don’t think I’ve seen a house listed for that price for 3 or more bedrooms but maybe there is. Northlakes has a good shopping centre and redcliffe is not far, all good transport around these areas too, I don’t really like it here other than along the coast as I’m not a fan of the heat but Good luck x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-DJ Nette View Post

Re weather I figured that! As long as we have air con we are ok. is there any areas to avoid?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by stacey10 View Post
    well the public transport is certainly better than our non-existent one, and I know a couple of people who use it regularly so I guess it depends on who you know, if they have zones at the schools down there, I’m not sure how the kids from here get to go to which ones they choose to go to including cairn high, Smithfield high, the private one at Smithfield and also redlynch one.... maybe they can because they’re totally out of the Cains area. As in most large towns, small/large cities there are always areas one would probably try and avoid, and I never said that there wasn’t, but I still stand by the fact that you can send your kids to a supposedly top notch school and the child doesn’t do well or can get bullied, just the same as a school that isn’t as advantaged, maybe not quite as much but it is still there in most schools.
    I hear ya about the public transport where we live now there isn’t any but a train that go’s into Melbourne that takes 1 1/2 hrs . So if there’s public transport that can get me around I’ll be happy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Re weather I figured that! As long as we have air con we are ok. is there any areas to avoid?
    im sure you’ll hear a few more, but it’s pretty general knowledge that all the suburbs beginning with M are the ones to avoid.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to stacey10 For This Useful Post:

Thecrazycatlady (18-01-2021)