+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Nursing strike

My almost 10 month old is refusing the boob

She was sick yesterday. She’s in much better spirits today but completely refusing to nurse. I’m so stressed and not ready for the breastfeeding journey to be over yet!

Does anybody have any experience with this? Was it only temporary? Any tips to encourage her to nurse?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beary View Post
    My almost 10 month old is refusing the boob

She was sick yesterday. She’s in much better spirits today but completely refusing to nurse. I’m so stressed and not ready for the breastfeeding journey to be over yet!

Does anybody have any experience with this? Was it only temporary? Any tips to encourage her to nurse?
    Hey @Beary - this happened to me with dd1 at about the same age, and with dd2 much earlier. Both times it was only temporary, went back to normal bf. It lasted longer with dd1, about 4 days from memory. I do remember being very worried it would be the end of bf, but it wasn't.

Cuddle her lots (I'm sure you are anyway), lay in bed together so you're relaxed and she can bf if she wants to, but don't push it. As hard as it is, try not to stress, you want her to be as relaxed as possible. Offer, but let her decide. I tried distracting with a toy or something similar so they'd latch on absent-mimdedly, it seemed to work at least a little.
    Another thing that I think maybe made a difference for me was offering breastfeeds at night, when baby is too sleepy to remember the strike. Maybe instinct kicks in and they just go for it?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalina For This Useful Post:

Beary (10-01-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalina View Post
    Hey @Beary - this happened to me with dd1 at about the same age, and with dd2 much earlier. Both times it was only temporary, went back to normal bf. It lasted longer with dd1, about 4 days from memory. I do remember being very worried it would be the end of bf, but it wasn't.

Cuddle her lots (I'm sure you are anyway), lay in bed together so you're relaxed and she can bf if she wants to, but don't push it. As hard as it is, try not to stress, you want her to be as relaxed as possible. Offer, but let her decide. I tried distracting with a toy or something similar so they'd latch on absent-mimdedly, it seemed to work at least a little.
    Another thing that I think maybe made a difference for me was offering breastfeeds at night, when baby is too sleepy to remember the strike. Maybe instinct kicks in and they just go for it?
    Thanks so much for your reply. Knowing others have experienced it does put my mind at ease. I will be absolutely heartbroken if our journey is over. She latched last night for a dream feed but I don’t think she got much. Then when she woke at 5am she rejected the breast again.

While you were waiting for her to start feeding again, what did you do about fluids? My LO seems to be rejecting them all at the moment. No bottles and no sippy cups.

Also, how did you keep up supply? Just by pumping? I can never get much with the pump so I’ve been hand expressing basically all day every day and my boobs are so sore now!

I’m so so stressed but I’ll try to relax haha!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've been through it a few times. But it was purely breast refusal, not all fluids.

Is she unwell? Teething? Sore throat?

Get back to basics if you can. Chill on the couch or bed and allow free access for a feed, jump in a warm bath or shower together. I would get into a "I'm not going to stress about it, I won't offer, but if he asks I'll let him feed" (If I was worried about lack of feeding, I would tend to offer more )

I didn't pump, I just couldn't find the time with 3 kids, but previously I would have

Keep a close eye on nappy output, and if you're concerned, please don't hesitate to see someone.
    Last edited by EnchantedGrace; 10-01-2021 at 19:48.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by EnchantedGrace View Post
    I've been through it a few times. But it was purely breast refusal, not all fluids.

Is she unwell? Teething? Sore throat?

Get back to basics if you can. Chill on the couch or bed and allow free access for a feed, jump in a warm bath or shower together. I would get into a "I'm not going to stress about it, I won't offer, but if he asks I'll let him feed" (If I was worried about lack of feeding, I would tend to offer more )

I didn't pump, I just couldn't find the time with 3 kids, but previously I would have

Keep a close eye on nappy output, and if you're concerned, please don't hesitate to see someone.
    She’s in a fantastic mood so I’m not sure if she’s sick. She was sick a couple of days ago when all this started but is fine now. I’m giving her heaps of yoghurt and mixed in breast milk with her cereal etc. she’s not drinking enough though so I’m going to take her to the doctor tomorrow (if I had my way id take her to the hospital right now but DH is telling me to calm down ).

If you don’t mind me asking, How long did your strikes last for? Just want to know how long to persevere for lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for your reply. Knowing others have experienced it does put my mind at ease. I will be absolutely heartbroken if our journey is over. She latched last night for a dream feed but I don’t think she got much. Then when she woke at 5am she rejected the breast again.

While you were waiting for her to start feeding again, what did you do about fluids? My LO seems to be rejecting them all at the moment. No bottles and no sippy cups.

Also, how did you keep up supply? Just by pumping? I can never get much with the pump so I’ve been hand expressing basically all day every day and my boobs are so sore now!

I’m so so stressed but I’ll try to relax haha!
    I made sure dd1 had lots of very watery fruit and veg, I figured that way she'd be getting enough. Together with the night-time feeds it seemed ok. I pumped a little, just enough for comfort. In dd2's case it was much more brief.

How are her nappies? Good idea getting everything checked out if you think she isn't getting enough fluid.

I do remember reading somewhere that a bf blip around this age is not uncommon.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalina For This Useful Post:

Beary (10-01-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    She’s in a fantastic mood so I’m not sure if she’s sick. She was sick a couple of days ago when all this started but is fine now. I’m giving her heaps of yoghurt and mixed in breast milk with her cereal etc. she’s not drinking enough though so I’m going to take her to the doctor tomorrow (if I had my way id take her to the hospital right now but DH is telling me to calm down ).

If you don’t mind me asking, How long did your strikes last for? Just want to know how long to persevere for lol.
    The intense refusal was about 4 days, but he was fussy for a few days too. Possibly when I relaxed. It's been a while now, but we are still going at almost 20 months.

However, he was mix fed (formula in a bottle) or would happily take water from a sippy cup too, so I didn't have the stress you're under.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also meant to ask - is it possible that something is affecting the taste of your milk? Hormones, different diet etc.

I'm sure they will anyway, but make sure the gp rules out things like oral thrush or some other cause of pain in baby's mouth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalina View Post
    Also meant to ask - is it possible that something is affecting the taste of your milk? Hormones, different diet etc.

I'm sure they will anyway, but make sure the gp rules out things like oral thrush or some other cause of pain in baby's mouth.
    I had my first period since before I was pregnant last Monday but the strike started on Friday so I don’t think it’s that.

I went to the doctor and she has an upper respiratory infection with very swollen tonsils. Poor thing. She’s been pretty happy but woke up miserable this morning. Hopefully when the sore throat goes away she will feed again.

Is it stupid to be stressed she will forget how to nurse?! I find anything to get stressed about

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Beary For This Useful Post:

Kalina (11-01-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awww poor poppet. Feeding is usually the first thing to go, and last to return when unwell. It's hard to maintain a latch with a blocked nose/sore throat. I'm sure once she feels better she will come back.

I found my 2nd would be really fussy just before my period. Pretty sure we had a strike before the first one.
    And it's actually what caused me to stop with my first! The strike/ biting/ refusa, then I just stopped after he drew blood.

It hasn't cone back yet this time. So not sure how that will play out.

I hope she feels better soon. Maybe freeze some ebm and put it in a mesh feeder/ into an icy pole for her to suck on?? It may help soothe her throat being cold, and will give her a bit more fluids
    Last edited by EnchantedGrace; 11-01-2021 at 12:01.