+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Homeschoolers Unite!

Let's talk about homeschooling! Surely I am not the only one? What does your day look like? What years are you teaching? What curriculum are you using?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MissTwiggley For This Useful Post:

BornToBe (08-01-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey MissTwiggley! At the moment we are loving summer here, it's actually warming up in the far south. We're doing bushwalks and beach and park visits 3-4 days a week and loving the "time off" (of course learning doesn't have a schedule 😉) and spending our home days in the veggie garden.

I'll have a 4th grader, 2nd grader, kindie kid, 2 year old just for fun (😅) and of course new baby is due midyear. After 2020 lockdowns and isolation, I want to include lots of social time and group meets in our 2021 school year. I've started hosting activities at our place fortnightly with two other home ed families. We'll probably go out 2 other days per week (friends, bushwalks, adventures) and use the other 2 days for academics. I find that's a good summer/autumn schedule until we get stuck at home over winter/spring (which are miserable here). I also need that outlet with other parents, I get lonely at home for too many days straight. Blabbing to other mums keeps me on an even keel.

My two older kids should have a little more independence this year as they're now reading confidently. This year we're using the workbook series from homeschooling Australia.com for science, social studies, art curriculum, and pre reading for the kinder kid. We read good books for history, and read literature together (I haven't finalised my list yet, but Wind in the Willows, Sarah Plain and Tall, A Little Princess, The Little White Horse are planned plus I have a stack of Australiana to get through inc. Nuri Mass etc). We use Singapore math and online math games, both girls enjoy math. I just use print out handwriting worksheets for writing practice.

On a typical day we might do a morning of workbooks and an afternoon of reading plus a nice long walk in there somewhere. I'm anticipating of course, time off after baby arrives so will be trying to stick to schedule before then and get a lot done. Of course, kids just learn and we get so much out of our weekly library trips and outings to beautiful natural spaces, it can't be underestimated how valuable these are.

Blah blah blah! I love talking homeschool life. The further along we get (4 years registered now) the more we all relax into it. I'd love to hear your plans too?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard (11-01-2021),MissTwiggley (08-01-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello lovely!
    Thank you for sharing your experience! It sounds amazing! I think it's just us here.

I'm only formally teaching one child and that's Ds1 atm. We're at Year 1 level for most things except we're ahead in math and I'd say probably science too, but I tend to get carried away with science so that's partially my own doing. I'm currently trialing project based homeschooling for the sciences at the moment, have you heard of that? It's based in reggio but reminds me a little of unschooling as well. Being only 6.5, he doesn't have as much initiative as an older child would so I am still very much setting a theme and we go from there, but we're eventually working toward fully child initiated in this area. It seems like a natural progression.

I've been following the waldorf and charlotte mason philosophies with great interest over the last several months too, and I've been trying to incorporate a few things from there - Finger and needle knitting, weaving, free-range use of watercolour and chalk art, nature journalling, living books, and lots of free imaginative play. For more outcome focused art projects we are currently using the dynamic art projects book - It's absolutely wonderful.

There is so much I want to incorporate and I need someone to keep me in check! I've bought a lego mindstorms set and want to start programming/building! Many moons ago Ds1 attended a one day programming workshop at MAAS and loved it so I thought we could expand on that. He's too young for independent use of scratch or other similar programs, so mindstorms with dad was the next best thing. I've got boost set too but I'm thinking I might skip it and go straight to mindstorms. Are you doing any robotics this year?

Oh my gosh Nuri Mass! Which book are you reading? The wonderland of nature is one of my favourites. It's such a perfect read while they play. I love the intertwining of factual information with storytelling, it's simply perfect. Which books are you using for history? This is the one area where I have no idea of what I'm doing.

We don't have a strict daily schedule - I tend to take things day by day so we remain flexible but mark them off on a weekly basis against the syllabus if that makes sense. So I make sure we've squeezed in X amount of math or ticked off one more outcome for science & tech. We generally do book work first thing in the morning and do the more hands on stuff from midday onward.

We have homeschool meet up once a week, but with covid, days have been lonelier than they should be. I can't wait for all of this to be over with. It's definitely an important outlet for all involved.

How are you managing the little ones when working with the older kids? My biggest issue seems to be keeping Ds2 preoccupied now that he is starting to drop his day time nap. He just gets into everything and it's non-stop. Ds3 seems to be following in his footsteps. I'm lucky in that DH works from home so I'll always have an extra hand at specific times (early morning and lunch) but I don't want to rely on that as I want to ensure DH has some of his own down time too. He already willingly re-works his schedule if we want to spend a day out so I don't want to add anymore stress.