+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Maternal Request C-section through public system is it possible?

Hi all,

I'm located in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne and am thinking of starting a family soon. I've known for many years that i would like to deliver via C-section. I do not have private health insurance however i do not believe that this should remove the right to autonomy over my own body.
    Has anybody been able to go through the public system without a 'medical reason'

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You're going to be hard-pressed convincing an obstetrics team to preform major surgery - And on the public purse no less - with a 'It's my right' plea. I'm sorry to sound harsh but it's not your right. If you want major surgery without a valid medical reason then you should pay for it.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MissTwiggley For This Useful Post:

BigRedV (23-12-2020),leii (26-12-2020),Molros (23-12-2020),SSecret Squirrel (24-12-2020),wobblermummy (24-12-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MissTwiggley View Post
    You're going to be hard-pressed convincing an obstetrics team to preform major surgery - And on the public purse no less - with a 'It's my right' plea. I'm sorry to sound harsh but it's not your right. If you want major surgery without a valid medical reason then you should pay for it.
    Yep. This
    If you want a c section I suggest you take out PHI and then request it

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Molros For This Useful Post:

MissTwiggley (23-12-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I experience anxiety around 'vaginal birth' and have friends/family whom have been left with permanent trauma physical and mental. I work in an industry where i also see the side effects of such trauma daily.
    I understand that a csection is a major operation which in its self carries risk however for me it is a controlled one.
    Thankyou for taking the time to respond but i have to disagree with 'It is not your right'. Women should have choice and control over their birth method especially if one causes stress this should not be dependant on financial circumstance.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gloss100 For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas (01-01-2021),Purple Lily (24-12-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloss100 View Post
    I experience anxiety around 'vaginal birth' and have friends/family whom have been left with permanent trauma physical and mental. I work in an industry where i also see the side effects of such trauma daily.
    I understand that a csection is a major operation which in its self carries risk however for me it is a controlled one.
    Thankyou for taking the time to respond but i have to disagree with 'It is not your right'. Women should have choice and control over their birth method especially if one causes stress this should not be dependant on financial circumstance.
    I think considering your knowledge of post- birth injuries and anxiety around birth, you would have a pretty good case for requesting a c section.
    You may have to ask several times, or go to a board or similar to plead your case, but I don't think they can refuse on those grounds.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Maternal Request C-section through public system is it possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Gloss100 View Post
    whilst i completely agree with you in theory, i guess the economic practicalities are a little different. when medicare foots the entire bill, it becomes an issue of economy. the government simply can’t afford to offer every single woman a 4-5 night stay in hospital, surgery, anaesthetist, surgeon etc. should it? maybe. but will it, right now? unlikely.

if your heart is set on a scheduled cs, i would get phi with the obstetric cover. it’s the only way to ensure you get exactly what you want.
    Last edited by turquoisecoast; 24-12-2020 at 14:14.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Mod-LIKE A BOSS (24-12-2020),SheWarrior (24-12-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Women should absolutely have autonomy over their bodies, but asking for a c-section in the absence of a medical reason isn't just exercising a right to make decisions about your own body, it's also asking a doctor to perform major surgery which they in their professional opinion consider higher risk than vaginal birth. That is an ethical consideration for them and they are entitled to balance your reasons against the risk, they're not just guns for hire.

I'd say the thing to do is either take out phi, or speak to someone like the head of obstetrics at your public hospital now and clarify the circumstances in which they'd agree to an elective caesarean.

Eta: Your anxiety may well be reason enough for them to agree, you don't lose anything by asking the question. If you're not 100% decided another thing to be aware of is that good doctors are well-equipped to deal with anxiety around birth, the public system imo sometimes gets a bad rap, but like anything people's experiences vary.
    Last edited by Kalina; 24-12-2020 at 14:00.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kalina For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard (25-12-2020),MissTwiggley (24-12-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an elective c-section in a public hospital with my first baby (but it was 16 years ago now) due mostly to anxiety. I too posted on here and got very similar responses then, I still remember, ouch!

When I had my DD I didn't say anything to the midwives about it at all ever. I waited until the OB appointment between 20-30 weeks and spoke directly with the doctor. As soon as I started talking about it I was inconsolable. She said that's it we aren't into forcing mothers to give birth vaginally. It was signed off and I had my first baby by elective c-section at 38.5 weeks. There was a lot of lectures from people around me and the midwives (but the doctor had warned me of this). Then there was constant requests for mental health referrals.....which I wanted nothing to do with the at the hospital.

I was in hospital 3 nights and went home early morning day 4 as i had had enough being in hospital, I would have gone home the day before but I had a reaction to the medical tape from one hip to the other, which hurt more than the c-section wound. My baby was happy and healthy and is now a wonderful caring, mostly healthy 16 year old.

So I'm saying there is hope, things have possibly changed in 16 years but it is worth talking to someone about it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

Gloss100 (24-12-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    i’d put my case forward (worst case they say no, and likely will in the absence of a medical reason). but you never know. before ds was born (i had him in melbourne’s public system too) an ob i spoke to said they promote vaginal deliveries where possible and where it’s safe for mum and bub. i mean by all means plead your case, but be prepared to be refused.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Gloss100 (23-12-2020),SJ565 (24-12-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Depending where you live, going public you will be in a catchment for a particular public hospital I.e box hill or angliss as an example (I am eastern suburbs) based on this you could always check with your particular hospital.

Like others have said, I don’t think your chances are high, however if you don’t ask you won’t know.

If you are hard set on C section, suggest you take PHI insurance to ensure this.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to lauzie For This Useful Post:

Gloss100 (23-12-2020)