+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think its useless.
    My BMI is very low, and I am skinny, but my waist is too big due to overindulging in sugar late at night and minimal exercise.
    When I exercised and ate better I actually out weight on but was nicely toned and my waist smaller. I felt better.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sirena89 For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi (04-12-2020)

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    A)

I'm a bit concerned I've put on weight in the last 1.5 years and I'm now overweight according to BMI. But I have health issues that are contributing to this so these not much I can do about the weight until my chronic health issues are under control.

However, bmi is a problematic measure as it doesn't take into account muscle mass. So it's not going to be accurate measure at all for people with a lot of muscle.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi (05-12-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    a) for me.

It's not the only measure that I would ever rely on, but used in conjunction with other measures eg blood cholesterol, it is can help paint a snapshot of your health risks. At an individual level BMI serves as a good reminder that you are placing yourself at increased risk of health issues as your BMI increases. For me it provides me with motivation to get my weight down. Obviously people with a BMI in the normal range can still have health risks, but I feel it is still a useful measure and even better when other measurements and lifestyle factors are taken into account eg waist measurement, bloodwork, plus diet and exercise.

There will always be exceptions for individuals but at a population level we do know that x% of people with a BMI that places them in the overweight / obese range will develop certain health issues compared to a much lower percentage in the BMI normal range developing the same health issues.

At the end of the day for me personally, it is a good measure to provide me with weight loss goals and I know that when my BMI was knocking on the door of obesity I did develop health issues that resolved when I got my BMI down to the normal level. So yes for that alone I think it is a good measure.

AFAIK the muscle mass is only an issue for elite athletes / body builders, not so much for the average person.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 05-12-2020 at 08:13.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default How seriously do you take your BMI (body mass index)?

Well I’m not an elite athlete or a body builder but I am freakishly strong and have muscly legs. I always have had muscly legs since playing a lot of sport as a kid. Plus I do a lot of strength work with my trainer and I regularly walk. I live in the mountains so it’s not flat.

I am healthy according to lean body mass which is a more accurate calculation and I know my lifestyle. So again for me, I think there are other ways to measure ones health than using BMI.

Let’s face it, if you’ve put on weight and aren’t exercising then yep, it’s probably a good indication that you need to take measures to become healthy.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a snapshot tool that should be used as a starting point. Eg. Shows you are underweight, let's just check there isn't an issue like overactive thyroid at play. Shows you are overweight, but my eyes tell me you do a lot of bodybuilding, so I know you're not "over-fat".

It's fits my body type better than waist-to-hip or waist-to-height ratios, as I am an apple.

I think something like a Dexa scan would be the most reliable, especially as it can show levels of subcutaneous fat. Prohibitively expensive though.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard (05-12-2020),Mod-Degrassi (05-12-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just looked in the bubhub folder in my Email, I'm surprised to see the forum not closed and still online, but happy for that!

I had a massive amount of time off Crossfit over Covid and put on more weight than I would like.
    I just started training 3 weeks ago, it's been a long time since I bothered about BMI and don't really care about it..
    I'm 84Kg at the moment, I want to get that down to 72-76.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mason98 For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi (05-12-2020),SJ565 (05-12-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    B. I think it's good as a basic tool to give people an idea of what their healthy weight range is.

Lots of people criticise it due to not accounting for muscle, but I think it's probably a small minority that actually fall into that category. These people would know they lead healthy lifestyles anyway, so they're not the issue.

I think a bigger shortcoming of the BMI calculator would be skinny-fat people. Those who fall into the healthy weight range, but live a sedentary lifestyle with a poor diet. I know I personally sway between underweight and healthy, but it's my waistline that is a good indicator of how well I've been looking after my body.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another B here. It’s a good tool for a bit of self reflection but I think most people who are being honest with themselves know if they are at a healthy weight and fitness level.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi (06-12-2020)