+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default The best medication for anxiety/depression

I understand everyone’s experience is different but can anyone tell me the antidepressant that helped them calm their anxiety and/or reduce their depression? I really don’t enjoy being a Mum at the moment. I actually hate every minute of it. It’s so draining and I am utterly exhausted after leaving my ex 9 months ago. I have counted 14 things that have needed to be replaced in my house since we moved in. This includes brand new appliances as well. The fan in the lounge turns itself on. I either need antidepressants to get me through this **** patch that seems to have been going for 6 years or some magic to remove a curse on me! Kinda funny but not really. I understand that most people get a crappy run in life sometimes but it just won’t let up! My 6 year old was recently diagnosed with autism so I had a mini breakdown after that but then I realised it’s a positive thing and he should get more help now. I just worry about his future. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Happymummy5 View Post
    I understand everyone’s experience is different but can anyone tell me the antidepressant that helped them calm their anxiety and/or reduce their depression? I really don’t enjoy being a Mum at the moment. I actually hate every minute of it. It’s so draining and I am utterly exhausted after leaving my ex 9 months ago. I have counted 14 things that have needed to be replaced in my house since we moved in. This includes brand new appliances as well. The fan in the lounge turns itself on. I either need antidepressants to get me through this **** patch that seems to have been going for 6 years or some magic to remove a curse on me! Kinda funny but not really. I understand that most people get a crappy run in life sometimes but it just won’t let up! My 6 year old was recently diagnosed with autism so I had a mini breakdown after that but then I realised it’s a positive thing and he should get more help now. I just worry about his future. Thanks
    I have diagnosed anxiety, it has been maintained over the years with just a psychologist once a month, sometimes an emergency appointment if things got really bad, but after recent events that have triggered me, I need to start anti depressants, I have a doctors appointment today to get them, I know it takes about a month for them to start working, so I will take them and work with my psychologist to work through the issues I have.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have depression and anxiety and am on sertraline which has helped me immensely. I was seeing a psychologist weekly for over 12 months but now see him once a month, which is huge and I feel so much better on this medication which I’ve been on now for for 18 months.

I’m sorry you are struggling. It’s not a nice feeling at all and I wish you well
    Xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Everyone responds differently to medications- what works for one person won’t necessarily work for another. It can take a while of adjusting doses and even trying different medications to find one that works for you, and none will work straight away. It can take a month or so to really start noticing any difference. I’ve tried a fair few different meds and different doses. Some were great with easing depressive symptoms but increased my anxiety, others did the opposite. Some didn’t do much at all. It took about 6 months to find the medication and dose that helped me with both. I’m on Pristiq 100mg, occasionally they’ve upped it to 150mg when I’ve been going through a really bad time. While I find it really helpful, it’s one of the worst to come off (and withdrawals if you miss it are horrendous), but it’s talking to a professional that has made the most difference.

Your best bet would be speak with your doctor. Tell them how you’re feeling and ask for a referral to a psychologist on a mental health care plan if you don’t already have one as your first step.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Lexapro worked brilliantly for me. I was like a new person. Zoloft made me far worse (suicidal).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats (01-12-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Lexapro was like a miracle for my anxiety. I’ve been on it for 9 years. I had been prescribed other antidepressants in the past that never had the same kind of effect.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think Lexapro is one of the few that specifically treats both anxiety/panic and depression. It's also less likely to make you feel drowsy. There's usually an adjustment period of two weeks but side effects can be minimise by starting at a lower dose and building up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok thanks everyone. My GP gave me a script for Citalopram so I’ll try this. Thanks again and I’m glad medication is working for most of you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry just saw the other responses. Ok I’ll keep Lexapro in mind too. I really need to calm my mind and enjoy being a parent again.