+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Opinions on 'Among Us' app/game

Has anyone played this, or has anyone's kids played it?

I'm telling my 9 year old (turns 10 in Feb) he can't play it as people can message each other and I think there's too much potential for him to be exposed to creeps. I'm I overreacting?

One of his school mates is allowed to play it, which of course makes it harder to tell DS that he can't have it.

He is begging me to install 'practice mode' and promises to play that mode only and not engage in the live game.

I'm sticking with an outright no at this stage, but any feedback would be helpful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No experience with this particular game but when my DS was a similar age, there was a game that he was desperate to play. "Everyone" else at school was playing it and part of the game involved live chats to friends. I can't remember the name of the game but that's not important. The bigger issue was that I didn't like the idea of strangers being able to talk to him if he friended them in the game.

It's a hard call, on one hand I (and obviously you) wanted to protect my son from online predators but on the flipside, I didn't want him to feel left out at school and be able to join in when his friends were chatting about the game at school.

From memory we let him sign up but exh somehow disable the online chat part. I'm not sure if that is an option with this particular game?
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 24-11-2020 at 15:10.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi (24-11-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Is this the one that there's x amount of people and some are there to sabotage it?
    I can't recall details but my SIL was telling me how she was playing it the other day and that ds1 was watching.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to EnchantedGrace For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi (24-11-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EnchantedGrace View Post
    Is this the one that there's x amount of people and some are there to sabotage it?
    I can't recall details but my SIL was telling me how she was playing it the other day and that ds1 was watching.
    Sounds like it is.

He seems to have accepted that I’m not letting him have it. For now anyway

I just think he’s too young to be exposed to potentially inappropriate chat/abuse from teenagers and adults.

kiwimum890 is online now It won't happen overnight, but it will happen!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Opinions on 'Among Us' app/game

Oh good I am glad I am not the only one not letting my 8 year old play it, will be 9 in Feb...

He seemed ok with the answer of no. But he knows I say no to quite a few things that other kids at school watch/play!

There was a kid last year at the age of 7 that had watched all seasons of Stranger Things!!!

He is also allowed to play Red Dead Redemption 2. Let’s just say his behaviour certainly reflects a lot of the inappropriate content he is allowed to watch. Makes me feel really sad for him.
    Last edited by kiwimum890; 25-11-2020 at 06:57.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kiwimum890 For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi (25-11-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DDs play (16 and 13), the messages are visible to everyone, you can choose to 'censor' the conversations. No one can contact you individually, in private. No details are requested by the game and you choose your 'name' each time you play.

I have no idea whether or not I would let my younger children play it, but I am okay with my older children playing it. They play it together and don't fight so I'm all for it But obviously they are a lot older than 9.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 8,10 and 11 year olds (14 yr old not interested) aren’t allowed to play it for the same reservations you have Degrassi.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I let my kids play it (7 and 9). I play it too with them, but they are allowed to play it without me. I’ve not seen anything inappropriate except for a user name which may have been trying to swear.

If you did want to let him have it could he only be allowed to play it when it’s with you online too? Or there’s codes so you can create private games with only his friends and no strangers.

My kids are also on Roblox which allows chat. Most games have a whole list of words censored so it only shows up as ####. Obviously if you try hard enough there’s ways around this. I also play these games with them, I played Adopt Me a lot to earn up a heap of money to buy DD some in game features for her birthday. It was nice to see nothing inappropriate while I’ve been playing.

As to whether it’s effecting their behaviour... the 7yo acts 14, so much drama and attitude. The 9yo acts like a 40yo mum. I feel like this is who they would be regardless, but I guess we will never know for sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I let my 6 & 8 year Olds play it. There's no personal messaging and chat is censored. The worst of it is the graphics when you're 'killed'.