+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default WWYD? Leaving child home alone

Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    I wonder if it depends on your location? I have a 7yo and can’t imagine leaving her home alone at all, and can’t imagine any of her school friends’ parents would either.
    I think it’s destination but also as your kids get older as well. When my eldest was 7 I don’t think I left her at home but now that she’s older, I leave my youngest at home with her and I have left her at home alone (the 7 year old that is) for 30 mins max.

I do have friends around here whose children get the bus home alone from school or they have ridden home alone at that age.

There are a lot of children around here riding, walking, catching the bus home without an adult.

It was even in my children’s school’s recent newsletter that children under 10 should not be riding home alone so it must be a regular occurrence if they felt the need to put it in the newsletter. I’m happy that my son is 10 as he rides every day.

Adjustments.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Our school don't like them riding to school alone until they've done bike ed at school in grade 3. Of course, that happens to be this year for ds1 🤦‍♀️ so due to covid and home school he's missed out.

We usually walk with him, but he likes to go faster. Yesterday we had his bike in the car from my mum's on the weekend, so he rode from school and we followed in the car.

I thought I'd be looking forward to him riding next year: we've got him a smart watch with GPS tracking for Xmas. But then I realised I still have to go anyway for ds2 who starts next year, although, for the first month or so he won't attend Wednesday's 🤷‍♀️

Actually, I really need to get out with him. He's got a 16km bike ride Monday with scouts. He's totally going to ride in the car most of the way, but he might surprise me...
    Last edited by EnchantedGrace; 03-11-2020 at 20:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    My son could ride a bike without training wheels at age 3. It’s really his thing. He loves riding his bike. We live in the mountains and he’s got a trek mountain bike that he rides on the dirt tracks with his mates around the local neighbourhood. There’s a lot of fire trails that he rides around here too. My husband often takes him cycling too. He’s a good cyclist, good at the road rules and is a competent rider.

He has his bike safety excursion next week. They do it in year 4 here.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

EnchantedGrace (03-11-2020)