+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Cat wee

Help, our cat is driving me crazy. He is weeing on everything. He particularly loves DHs clothes (clean or dirty in the wash baskets), but it’s also been all through the LEGO, my work bag, soft toys etc.

He did this occasionally when we lived in Cairns but it is out of control since we moved to Brisbane 2 months ago. The cat is a 2 year old de-sexed male.

Any ideas, thoughts on why and how we can stop it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-DJ Nette View Post
    Help, our cat is driving me crazy. He is weeing on everything. He particularly loves DHs clothes (clean or dirty in the wash baskets), but it’s also been all through the LEGO, my work bag, soft toys etc.

He did this occasionally when we lived in Cairns but it is out of control since we moved to Brisbane 2 months ago. The cat is a 2 year old de-sexed male.

My boy loves to do this if his litter isn’t clean but seeing as you moved recently and it’s possibly stress I’d look at Feliway.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

Mod-DJ Nette (24-10-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-DJ Nette View Post

My cats always do this when we move, it's to mark their new territory and ward off other cats to let them know this is there place. Honestly Ive never had any solutions other than to clean it up and once they feel safe and familiar they stop doing it. I hate it but i just try and keep stuff off the ground/floor. We have 4 cats and have just moved and there's nasty cats next door intimidating my cats so i feel your pain.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gorgeousgeorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    For my cat it started as urinary issues, apparently they search for something soft to wee on, he ended up at the vets having his bladder drained and is now on a urinary health food. He still sometimes does it if we leave things on the ground and his litter is dirty and our female cat does it too because the scent is there so it drives me crazy!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Green Cheese For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Cheese View Post
    For my cat it started as urinary issues, apparently they search for something soft to wee on, he ended up at the vets having his bladder drained and is now on a urinary health food. He still sometimes does it if we leave things on the ground and his litter is dirty and our female cat does it too because the scent is there so it drives me crazy!
    This was my cat too - searching for somewhere soft to wee. She has been on Feline CD for 18 of her 20 years now and, so long as she always eats that, wedon't have a problem. As she's gotten older, she is more sensitive, so even a few bits of the dog's kibble is enough to set it off again.

A friend's cat was having the same issue. Started on the CD food and it stopped within a couple of days.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    My male ragdoll does this his been weeing and pooping on beds and spraying on the couch forever . He is desexed and 9 years old. We been in this current house for 2 years and since we lost one of our dogs last year he has really calmed down. I am assuming he was marking his territory. I also have started to let him outside in our yard seems to help he just follows our dog everywhere lol. As others have said if you have just moved house it must be a territorial thing.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Thecrazycatlady For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. He is definitely more jittery than he used to be. I’ll try the Feliway and see how that goes.

When we moved DH bought the kitty litter and it was different to what we had before, maybe that is something else to look at.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our vet actually put our cat on a low lose antedepressant for his anxiety. The vet said it was more effective (and cheaper) than the spray. He hardly ever wees around the house now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Our family cat did this when we moved interstate and he ended up having crystals in his bladder and had to be put on a special diet for the rest of his life.

The only sign was him having accidents in the house vs using his litter trap and we saw one very small drop of blood that was very light near one of his accident spots.