+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Should I contact Ministers or am I justgenerally loosing my mind...

This might not be the right place, but I really only use this section of the forum... I did have a quick look and couldn't find anything similar.

I’m going nuts in Victoria. Having cancelled my original plan of going overseas for a transfer last May. Then, hoping to go in September, then October… OK, I get this year is a write off… I’m not really hoping for Feb/ March next year. The Federal Govt has pretty much said no vaccine, no normal international travel. Either way, being stuck in this Vic lockdown, Its not looking good for any Victorian to go anywhere. Let alone actually get overseas, and back.

I also feel selfish for wanting to travel for embryo donation in this crazy time. But I feel like I’m running out of time.

Anyway, the whole point of this is, has anyone ever written to there local member, or PM or Premier to say… I don’t know… Hey, can we do something to make it easier for people who are desperate to have kids, and are having trouble accessing services here to go overseas and back for IVF services. Or can you make it easier to get eggs into Australia for the clinic that do have consent to do it here. During this craziness.

I don’t really know what I want to say to them. I’m probably clutching at straws, I know it takes ages to create legislation and get it through. But, there are already places that do offer donor eggs in Australia from overseas donors. But it looks like they can’t get eggs into the country at the moment. (OK, I only checked one website in Sydney, it’s the only place I know that imports donor eggs/embryos).

Why isn’t it easier for those eggs or embryos to be delivered. If the delivery person is only flying in and out of the country? Not hanging around (actually I have no idea what that delivery the person does, do they even use a person?).

I just need to do something. At the start, I was disappointed, but I could wait a few months… But its been 6 months and while I can wait a few more months… I can not wait another whole year to travel.
    If I could fly out without knowing when I would be back, I would… But, I still need to work, pay bills, do things for elderly parents etc. I can’t just fly out without knowing when I will be back. Would love to if I could, but the reality is I can’t.

If you have written to anyone…
    Who did you write to?
    Did they respond?
    Did it help?
    Is there any point?

Or am I just being selfish listening to the ticking clock during covid, with so many people out there not having jobs and loosing family and friends.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 1greenfrog For This Useful Post:

gypsychild (03-01-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    not selfish at all. i can’t imagine how frustrating and distressing it would be to have your fertility plans dictated by not only by things going well with you, the donor egg, ivf etc, but also the wider current events. you have every right to feel angry, sad, frustrated etc. i haven’t done donor eggs or ivf but from everything i’ve been told, it’s bloody tough. never mind in a pandemic where movements are so restricted, everything feels so uncertain. i’m in metro melbourne too so understand how the lockdown feels. i can’t relate to the fertility aspect but you have my full sympathy.

i would definitely be reaching out to politicians, obviously there’s no guarantee anything changes, but without taking that first step, certainly nothing will ever change. i think if this is looking to be a longer term issue, which at this stage looks likely, there’s going to be a lot of people in your situation who become increasingly despondent and frustrated at being held back from fulfilling their baby dreams.

my suggestions would be contacting the offices of dan andrews and brett sutton as a start. if those aren’t the right avenues, perhaps their offices could point you in the right direction. what about a petition on change.org to generate awareness and get support from a wider audience? this may hold more sway when you go to the politicians too.

all the best xx

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

1greenfrog (12-10-2020),JR03 (03-01-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @1greenfrog have sent you a pm.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalina For This Useful Post:

1greenfrog (12-10-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for responding. I gone through the list of Victorian Ministers and emailed those who had nice faces. I tried to work out who had an interest in IVF services, but that seems to be a bit harder to work out (apart from the obvious Minister titles).

Anyway...
    Wierdly, I kinda feel better having done it.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1greenfrog For This Useful Post:

Amandamoo (18-11-2020),gypsychild (03-01-2021),turquoisecoast (13-10-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1greenfrog View Post
    Thanks for responding. I gone through the list of Victorian Ministers and emailed those who had nice faces. I tried to work out who had an interest in IVF services, but that seems to be a bit harder to work out (apart from the obvious Minister titles).

Anyway...
    Wierdly, I kinda feel better having done it.

I have no advice for your original question, I just wanted to check in on you to see how you're feeling
    I'm in exactly the same boat and have personally found it to be such a rollercoaster of emotions being put on indefinite hold and judging my self as a person for having such strong feelings when people are losing their lives and livelihoods.
    We are moving to a bulk billed Clinic for another round of IVF even though we know it won't work this round it just to preserve my sanity while we wait. I understand the irony of putting myself through the emotional and physical trauma of failed IVF for the benefit of my mental health, but that's how bad the effect of waiting has gotten.
    I really just wanted to let you know you're not alone
    Last edited by BabyO; 02-01-2021 at 13:54.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BabyO For This Useful Post:

1greenfrog (04-01-2021),gypsychild (03-01-2021)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That’s an interesting question, how am I feeling.

I have been convincing myself for most of the past year that it will only be a few months then I can go. Obviously, that hasn’t really happened. So, although I calmed down a little… Now I’m back in the freak out mode because at this rate, I may not get overseas for another year, and that’s just adding to my age.

So, my life feels like it's been on hold.

In the meantime, very randomly, I have started seeing someone in the last month. Which has also added to the strangeness of the year. It’s a bit too soon to be saying, I’m hanging out to go overseas to have a transfer. I’ve known him for a few years, but because he’s a few years younger I didn’t think anything like this would happen.

Off on a tangent, sorry.
    Thanks for responding!

If I could, I would probably do another round of IVF here too. I totally get were your coming from!
    Just do what you need to do to keep yourself OK. Because we don’t know how long before we get to fly in and out of the country easily.

I just want to say again, Covid is s h i t !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1greenfrog View Post
    That’s an interesting question, how am I feeling. ingout:

I have been convincing myself for most of the past year that it will only be a few months then I can go. Obviously, that hasn’t really happened. So, although I calmed down a little… Now I’m back in the freak out mode because at this rate, I may not get overseas for another year, and that’s just adding to my age.

So, my life feels like it's been on hold.

In the meantime, very randomly, I have started seeing someone in the last month. Which has also added to the strangeness of the year. It’s a bit too soon to be saying, I’m hanging out to go overseas to have a transfer. I’ve known him for a few years, but because he’s a few years younger I didn’t think anything like this would happen.

Off on a tangent, sorry.
    Thanks for responding!

If I could, I would probably do another round of IVF here too. I totally get were your coming from!
    Just do what you need to do to keep yourself OK. Because we don’t know how long before we get to fly in and out of the country easily.

I just want to say again, Covid is s h i t !

I thought that might be the case (ingout) I go through a cycle ranging from fine to inconsolable every few weeks, it's exhausting!

I've resigned myself to the thought that it will now be the end of this year but I did the same thing as you last year telling myself over and over it will just be a few more months.

We couldn't do another round of IVF at our old Clinic I just couldn't spend that kind of money knowing the chances of it being unsuccessful, the bulk billed one is so much cheaper that I can justify spending that to keep me from losing my mind while waiting.

You do what you need to do to be ok too, it's all we really can do. But it's far easier said than done.

Covid really does suck!
    Take care and don't hesitate to reach out if you really start to lose it

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyO For This Useful Post:

1greenfrog (04-01-2021)