+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thoughts On Bigger Age Gaps

Hi ladies, my question is for anyone who has larger age gaps between their children around 6+ years 😁 Please share your thoughts on juggling the older children with a newborn, how it changed your family dynamics and pros and cons of the bigger age gap.

My DH and I have two DD who are 2 years apart (5 & 7 years old) They are very close, opposite temperaments but in general get along really well with each other.
    For around a year or so my DH and I have been thinking about baby #3. I’m worried we have left it too late, if we are to be blessed with #3 it would mean a 6 year age gap between #2.
    I think our DDs would love a baby sibling, I’m wondering if there would be a close connection, how we would juggle our time between children and how we would cope going through the baby phase again.

Both my DH and I come from families with bigger age gaps, being the youngest with an older sibling of 7 years and 5 years. It was like being an only child. So I guess we have pros and cons from this perspective too.

Please share your thoughts,
    Thanks 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi

Slightly different because we have two DDs, so the 6 year age gap is between DD1 (7) and DD2 (1), we weren't adding a third.

I don't know if it's a case of loving what you've got, but I honestly couldn't be happier with the age gap. I didn't plan it that way, but as it turns out there are so many benefits and (for us at least) no big drawbacks. It may also depend on the kids' respective personalities - my DDs play together all the time, more than I expected actually. They adore each other. I'm guessing it'll be noticeable once DD1 is a teenager, but I also expect that once those few years pass and they're both young adults it'll be fine again.

The only real issue we've had is jealousy with DD1- it's more than i expected , but understandable since she had six years of being a doted on only child. But it doesn't manifest in any negative way towards DD2, which is lucky. And it's settling I think.

I think you can't know what effect it'll have unless you go ahead - every family is different, personalities are different. But from my experience the age gap is wonderful

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kalina For This Useful Post:

gypsychild (12-10-2020),Munchkin8 (05-10-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    My boys are 13yrs and 8 days apart. Bub 2 certainly wasn't planned and the gap has worked out amazing for us. The teen misses one on one time so I do it as much as I can if someone watches bub for me. Otherwise bub has just slotted in well like he has always been here. eli49.jpg20201004_104723.jpg

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Myztiks#1Fan For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard (05-10-2020),gypsychild (12-10-2020),Munchkin8 (05-10-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That’s great @Kalina sounds like your DDs have a close connection and wonderful that they play together so well! Thanks for your reply 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your reply and photos @Myztiks#1Fan. What a beautiful bond your children have!

hakuna matata is online now The artist formerly know as babyhopeful
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have 2 children, with a 6 year age gap. They are now 10 and 4. I found it really great. When DD was born the 6 year old was mostly independent so I could concentrate on the newborn. The 6 year old was at school so it was like having an only child during the day.
    You do need to be flexible around sleeps with pick ups/drop offs/ after school activities which was a bit tricky at times.
    Unfortunately a 6 year gap hasn’t stopped the sibling fighting, but they do love each other.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hakuna matata For This Useful Post:

Munchkin8 (08-10-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi we have a 6 and a half year age gap between our girls DD1 (9) and DD2 (2). We didn't plan it this way, we had a long wait for DD2 after a 4 year IVF battle. The age gap has definitely had its advantages though. As other posters have said at 6 and a half DD1 was pretty independent when her sister was born and tbh I relied in her help so much in those early days. She was and still is so good with her sister and she's like my extra pair of eyes helping her with things. There is still definitely sibling issues, DD1 can sometimes be too full on when playing and winds DD2 up which usually results in crying fits but think that's just siblings the world over. I have to make sure DD1 does get time to herself at times as her sister would follow her around everywhere and at 2 there are some things she can't do and DD1 just needs her time. The only disadvantage I find is trying to entertain them ie finding a park to suit both age groups and the fact we take DD1 to the cinema and have to find something else to do with DD2 do atm family days have to be planned well, scooter/bike rides are always popular.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyside For This Useful Post:

Munchkin8 (08-10-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I am the same as you. I have two DD’s both just turned 7 and 5. I don’t have any advice as I too am unsure whether to go for a third. Not only because of the age difference, although i’m starting to worry less about that but more about being able to still spend time with my two DD’s if a baby came along I will follow along to read the responses.
    If it helps at all me and my younger brother are 7 years apart and very close. Always have been.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkPrint For This Useful Post:

Munchkin8 (08-10-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I’ve got 2 experiences with this. One as the kid, one as the mum.

My sister is 6 years older than me. As a small kid I hated it - she was allowed to do so much that I wasn’t and she wasn’t interested in playing with me after a while - when I was 7 she was a teenager and didn’t want her lame baby sister hanging around. She moved out at 18 and so I was an only child at home for my teenage years, which was pretty awesome. Once I turned 18 we got close again as we would go out and party together.

My DS is only 3.5 months, but his half brother DSS is 8.5. I like the age gap as DSS is independent - when I’m stuck on the lounge feeding the baby he is able to get himself ready for school, make some breakfast, make lunch etc. He doesn’t have much interest in the baby - now that DS is starting to be a lot more interactive he will interact, but he could take it or leave it. It will be interesting to see how their relationship develops, being both boys and such a large gap.

Oh - My husband has a large gap with his younger half siblings - 10 and 12 years. Due to family dynamics he’s not that close with them - he never got along with his stepdad and went a long time without seeing them. They also don’t live close so we see them maybe once or twice a year, if that. When they’re together they get along and all that, but they don’t really talk in between. He’s closer to his sister who is closer in age to him.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Pcos30 For This Useful Post:

Munchkin8 (08-10-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by shadowangel0205; 23-10-2020 at 23:58.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to EnchantedGrace For This Useful Post:

Munchkin8 (08-10-2020)