+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default RWC being dodgy

Hi everyone,

I have just purchased a ford territory through a private sale, saw the car first looked underneath for oil leaks etc nothing, we presumed that the bushes would have to be done and the side mirror replaced. So the one that I brought the car off took it for the roadworthy had these things done and passed, however I have had the car two days and it is leaking oil where they have taken the tail shaft out to replace the bearing. Upon closer inspection we see that there are other bushes that are snapped and should have been replaced, space tyre isn’t roadworthy, wiper blades etc.

I have 3 children and can’t drive the car in case it looses too much oil or something goes wrong I.e a bush snaps.

Would you:

Take it back to the person whom signed off on the roadworthy see if the problems can be resolved?

Then take it further? To whom would you put a complaint into?

How would you resolve this matter?

Obviously when you take it for a roadworthy you presume that everything is done to a high standard as it could affect lives.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Being private, I'm not sure what your options are with the seller. They would also vary state to state.
    What state are you in? I'm assuming vic? If so and you wish to take it further, you'd go through vicroads as they provider the licence to do the rwc.
    How many kms have been done since rwc?

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand, you looked prior to purchase underneath and there were no leaks, but you've had it 2 days and now it has a leak on the tailshaft from replacing a bearing? Was that flashed on the rwc as needed? Is it just a matter of tightening a bolt or replacing a gasket? I'm not mechanically mined so forgive me if I'm wrong with these suggestions? As for the other bushes, it's possible they didn't need replacing, or again they could've been overlooked - who knows.

My mum purchased a 2nd car - it had leaks, frayed seatbelts etc when she got it. She fixed it all up, did 1000kms in 12 months, so went to sell it, returned to the same rwc place who then failed brakes, tyres, ball joints and something else... when she showed them the rwc from 12 months and 100kms prior signed off by then they just said "it was fine when we signed off, this all happened after" what can you do?

I purchased a car from a dealer in May this year (different rules to private) which i returned in July, after calls and messages for 6 weeks because it was blowing thick white smoke and using oil.

I then got another one from another dealer, who tells me vic rwc places are strict, and supposed to (good practice maybe?) take photos of the inspected parts, with something showing their rwc number thing, date, time, and vehicle details (vin possibly) etc in each photo to prove it's been looked at.

If that's the case you might be able to return and challenge them but I don't know for sure..

Thanks
    Reviews

Default RWC being dodgy

Quote Originally Posted by shadowangel0205 View Post
    Being private, I'm not sure what your options are with the seller. They would also vary state to state.
    What state are you in? I'm assuming vic? If so and you wish to take it further, you'd go through vicroads as they provider the licence to do the rwc.
    How many kms have been done since rwc?

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand, you looked prior to purchase underneath and there were no leaks, but you've had it 2 days and now it has a leak on the tailshaft from replacing a bearing? Was that flashed on the rwc as needed? Is it just a matter of tightening a bolt or replacing a gasket? I'm not mechanically mined so forgive me if I'm wrong with these suggestions? As for the other bushes, it's possible they didn't need replacing, or again they could've been overlooked - who knows.

My mum purchased a 2nd car - it had leaks, frayed seatbelts etc when she got it. She fixed it all up, did 1000kms in 12 months, so went to sell it, returned to the same rwc place who then failed brakes, tyres, ball joints and something else... when she showed them the rwc from 12 months and 100kms prior signed off by then they just said "it was fine when we signed off, this all happened after" what can you do?

I purchased a car from a dealer in May this year (different rules to private) which i returned in July, after calls and messages for 6 weeks because it was blowing thick white smoke and using oil.

I then got another one from another dealer, who tells me vic rwc places are strict, and supposed to (good practice maybe?) take photos of the inspected parts, with something showing their rwc number thing, date, time, and vehicle details (vin possibly) etc in each photo to prove it's been looked at.

If that's the case you might be able to return and challenge them but I don't know for sure..
    Yes I’m Victoria,

It wasn’t leaking until the rear centre bush was replaced. I will be taking it back to the place where the RWC was done and get them to go over it, then if they say it’s fine I’ll go elsewhere and get a preliminary test done and go from there.

My cousin does RWC I know he wouldn’t pass certain items that have been passed, but because of covid I can’t get down to him, if I could have I would have.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A roadworthy means the car is safe to drive - they're obliged legally to only give out certificates if the car meets certain conditions. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure some mechanics do dodgies for mates etc. but if that's the case here, you have recourse.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elevatormusic View Post
    A roadworthy means the car is safe to drive - they're obliged legally to only give out certificates if the car meets certain conditions. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure some mechanics do dodgies for mates etc. but if that's the case here, you have recourse.
    We went back to the rw place, we questioned him on the bushes that you could see were cracked, and the leak funnily enough he replaced then he was not happy at all, actually quite angry. So now I’m going to take it to another rw place and see what the difference is.