+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default how much should a 17 month old be talking?

dd is 17 months on saturday. she communicates beautifully (makes noises, points, motions etc) but actual words are really non existent. she can say mum, dad and says ds’ name but i feel like even that’s occasional. she says “go!” if you count down “three, two, one and..” and she says “go!!”. she understands everything we say to her. just her verbal use of words seems really limited?? i’ve tried looking back at videos of ds around this age to compare but can’t seem to really find much. but i swear he was saying a bit more than dd.

at what point does one take the next step and go chat to a gp? or am i worrying prematurely?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In my experience you're worrying prematurely. Two of my three have barely said anything until they were 2. If she understands you, babbles, says those few things you mentioned, she sounds spot on for that age.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

PinkPopsicle (25-09-2020),turquoisecoast (24-09-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMama View Post
    In my experience you're worrying prematurely. Two of my three have barely said anything until they were 2. If she understands you, babbles, says those few things you mentioned, she sounds spot on for that age.
    thanks. i googled and got mixed results so doubt started to creep in. dh has also noticed it, which made me think, as it’s usually mums who pick up on this stuff more.

i do wonder whether this lockdown has had any impact too. i also said to dh, sometimes i feel like she has the words but doesn’t use them as she knows we anticipate her needs so well. she points and sort of goes hmmm hmmm at the item and generally knows we know she wants it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just went back in my phone to look at videos of DS around the same age and he had a few clear words he could say, occasionally would try sing songs but 90% of his communicating was babbles, non verbal gestures & crying. Happy to send some through PM if that’s even possible so you can see?

He is nearly 2.5 now and he’s the biggest chatterbox so i would say not to worry but go with your gut & if discussing with a GP would put you at ease then maybe it’s worth it the trip.

https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/spee...nt-in-children

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Loh4 For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast (24-09-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think that could totally have an impact. It really sounds to me like she's fine though.

I think it makes a big difference what your first is like. DD1 was a slow talker, I was getting a bit concerned but my gut told me she was fine. A couple of weeks before she turned two she just started talking normally. But before then barely anything (understood and communicated in her own way though).

DD2 started speaking at 12 months and had full sentences at 18 months. It was such a shock (she is extremely bright at 6 now).

I know if their speech had been swapped around, I would've been so concerned about the slow talking. But DD1 set me up for low expectations 😂😂😂

DS has been the same as DD1, slow. He's 2yr 2mth now and is doing great, but a few months ago had a handful of words only.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    She sounds pretty much on par with ds3.

Ds1 said his first word at 4.5 months. I know that's ridiculously young, but it's on video, sil and I taking to him "Mum mum mum dad dad dad bub bub bubba" and he clearly repeats "mum" back. And he continued to do so from them on, he always met the CHN milestones easily, there was zero concern! "More darsta" (More pasta) came at about 15m!

Ds2 on the other hand, barely said 5 clear words at 2, didn't join 2 words together, he communicated with grunts, gestures, squeals etc instead. I pushed at his 2yr checkup for a speech referral because I was worried. At the end of the hour session, she asked if he was completely mute as he didn't so much as grunt 🤦‍♀️ a few weeks later, he said "nan car" pointing to mum's car... and from there he exploded. Within weeks he was naming pokemon, animals etc... and now... he doesn't stop talking 😅 kinder picked up 1 word and got us sent to speech recently but he's fine. He does some (normal) sound reversals, like Nofitication》 notification. But it's fine.

Ds3 I believe is going to be like ds2. Lots of hand gestures, nods, head shaking, grunts, "uh uh uh", smiles, clapping etc to communicate. The only words we get regularly are: mum, dad, nan and bub. He doesn't usually repeat them back, and it's usually just randomly babbled. He used to say "ta" and has said "up" once but hasn't said them in ages, so I think they eye just a fluke... I'm not worried about him --- yet Given my experience with ds2

10. The Following User Says Thank You to EnchantedGrace For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't believe your DD is 17 months - where has the time gone?!

I would say it's too early for concern, however if she is not putting two words together by the time she is 2 I would suggest having her seen to by a speech therapist, just to get an opinion of where she is at and if she needs further sessions.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast (25-09-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    I can't believe your DD is 17 months - where has the time gone?!

I would say it's too early for concern, however if she is not putting two words together by the time she is 2 I would suggest having her seen to by a speech therapist, just to get an opinion of where she is at and if she needs further sessions.
    i know!!! i was literally thinking the same thing this morning. i feel like she was being born a few months ago. it really has gone so fast. she’ll be 2 in april!! stop growing so fast my baby girl!!

thanks for the feedback, will keep that in mind

14. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi (25-09-2020)

hakuna matata is online now The artist formerly know as babyhopeful
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default how much should a 17 month old be talking?

DD had VERY limited speech until around 2 1/2. She had less than 10 words at her 2 year check.
    I’m pretty sure she was just waiting til she could talk in full sentences, and hasn’t stopped since!!!
    Last edited by hakuna matata; 25-09-2020 at 11:21.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to hakuna matata For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast (25-09-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hakuna matata View Post
    DD has VERY limited speech until around 2 1/2. She had less than 10 words at her 2 year check.
    I’m pretty sure she was just waiting til she could talk in full sentences, and hasn’t stopped since!!!
    haha i remember you saying that!