+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Kids toys 🧸

I swear I remember reading about wwyd with your kids toys but I can’t for the life of me find it.

Looking for some advice or tips..

DS has so many toys, like a whole family room plus a whole bedroom full.. we have toys coming out of our ears... not to mention a cubby house outside, swing set (2 swing & see saw), bikes & scooter.

He is only 2.5 yo and it’s just full on. He was the only grandchild on both sides until DD came along so still only us with kids & everyone just gets a bit silly.

I’m looking for tips on how to get on top of it, I’d love to reduce his pile of toys massively, think lots of little sets of duplo or blocks and then other toys that have only a few pieces to the set so there is just hundreds of small items dumped in storage cubes because there is no way to make sense of it. I’m very simple and don’t have lots of clutter anywhere else in the house so this drives me crazy. Also the amount of bright coloured toys..(that’s another thing!)

How do you ladies keep on top of the amount of toys & keeping it organised and not chaotic?

This has turned into a ramble so thank you if you got this far.

Side note: I also have major quilt donating toys or getting rid of toys as I have great memory & can remember who gifted what toy and when (birthday/Xmas etc.) and think awww they’ll be sad to know we aren’t keeping this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loh4 View Post
    I swear I remember reading about wwyd with your kids toys but I can’t for the life of me find it.

Looking for some advice or tips..

DS has so many toys, like a whole family room plus a whole bedroom full.. we have toys coming out of our ears... not to mention a cubby house outside, swing set (2 swing & see saw), bikes & scooter.

He is only 2.5 yo and it’s just full on. He was the only grandchild on both sides until DD came along so still only us with kids & everyone just gets a bit silly.

I’m looking for tips on how to get on top of it, I’d love to reduce his pile of toys massively, think lots of little sets of duplo or blocks and then other toys that have only a few pieces to the set so there is just hundreds of small items dumped in storage cubes because there is no way to make sense of it. I’m very simple and don’t have lots of clutter anywhere else in the house so this drives me crazy. Also the amount of bright coloured toys..(that’s another thing!)

How do you ladies keep on top of the amount of toys & keeping it organised and not chaotic?

This has turned into a ramble so thank you if you got this far.

Side note: I also have major quilt donating toys or getting rid of toys as I have great memory & can remember who gifted what toy and when (birthday/Xmas etc.) and think awww they’ll be sad to know we aren’t keeping this.
    I wish I had an answer. 😂 I'm the same. I can still remember who have ds1 things for his first Xmas. He's 9.5...🤦‍♀️

Firstly, I put all duplo in a big 65L tub, books in a folder. (Same with lego, megablocks, train set etc) and they're kept under the bed.

I go through things a few times a year, anything broken goes out. Maccas toys, cheap crap ones go out... I've got a friend who works in a newsagent and she saves all the magazine extras they don't sell, and often brings them for the kids. It's thoughtful, but creates so much clutter!!

Recently I've been a bit ruthless because we are just swimming in toys, they're everywhere (3 kids), and honestly I have NO idea what to get any of them for Xmas!!! And they're 16m, 5.5 and 9.5. That's not cool in my opinion. But we have so much of everything... I really have no idea at all.

But basically, I group like things, tubs under the bed, and I'm starting to just throw stuff or donate because we just have nowhere to put anything and the clutter and mess is giving me anxiety...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Give stuff away while you can!!! 4.5yo DD now remembers everything she owns so we can't pass anything along without her realising. I swear she still remembers the cheap plastic toys off the front of the Peppa Pig magazine.
    We've kept some things that DS (14m) will play with, but try to pass on anything big that isn't being used.
    Until Covid there was a very active Mums rehoming group in our area. I figure if we give something away and decide we need it again, it'll come round again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ565 View Post
    Give stuff away while you can!!! 4.5yo DD now remembers everything she owns so we can't pass anything along without her realising. I swear she still remembers the cheap plastic toys off the front of the Peppa Pig magazine.
    We've kept some things that DS (14m) will play with, but try to pass on anything big that isn't being used.
    Until Covid there was a very active Mums rehoming group in our area. I figure if we give something away and decide we need it again, it'll come round again.
    all of this. i give away what i can. ds also has an elephant’s memory so sometimes it’s hard. but i do try and get him on board and say right ds, today we’re doing a toy clean out. give me 5 things we can pass on. he’s usually pretty good. i won’t force him to part with anything (no matter how unplayed with or obsolete the item seems to me).

as far as actually getting rid of it, unless it’s a big ticket item and i can get more than $20 for it, i usually just put it on a local fb group for free. if decluttering is the objective, i’m happy to have someone come by and take our unwanted stuff for free. it’s nor worth hassling around for $5.

i’d really like to do a declutter now but it’s too hard with both kids home 24/7. although i do have a good idea of what’s played with and what isn’t, so once daycare resumes i can have a bit of a clean out on my own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I used to do sneaky culls when DS was younger - sold a few things on BSS and gave quite a few away to charity.

We still have so, so many toys. DS just does not want to part with anything (he's 9). He insists on keeping them 'for his kids' when he grows up.

We've recently bought a house and I am yet to properly organise the toy situation since we moved in. At the moment they are in storage tubs/baskets and piled up in the built-in of his play room (which is essentially a spare bedroom, not a rumpus). Keeps them out of sight, but it's not a proper solution.

I do feel like I could get away with culling some stuff without him noticing, but I rarely have a moment where I'm at home and he isn't there!

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I used to do regular culls up until ds was about 3-4. I'd donate what I could focusing on things he had grown out of or didn't play with. It's much harder now, as he knows they're his toys. He is 6 so I ask him to fill a box with toys he doesn't want anymore that we can donate to "kids who don't have any toys". Seems to do the trick! I also remind him that we need to make room for birthday and Christmas presents.

I felt very sentimental about a lot of his baby toys. It was very hard to part with a lot of them. I've kept a box of toys I couldn't give away. Nowadays I don't feel so attached to any of his toys. They get so many over the years!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Kids toys 🧸

I actually had a toy cull this week gone. I got rid of a few big ticket items as well as general toys and took them all to charity. I was a bit sad to see a couple of things go (1st birthday gifts I bought) but better to go now whilst they’re still in good condition and other kids can get use out of them.

In the past I have sold big ticket items and playground toys, but generally toys are given to charity.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find it helpful to first figure out how much space you are willing to dedicate to the toys (or whatever it happens to be that you need to declutter), then chuck/donate until you can fit it all in the space in an easy to use way ie not crammed.

And do it little bit by little bit if you have to, just make sure you do a bit every day, don’t look at it like one big project that you’ll keep putting off due to lack of time.

Also re guilt I just tell myself that no one gave me this toy (or whatever item) wanting me to keep it past the point of it cluttering my house and making my life miserable.

Once you’re done just remember that you’re never done lol keep a box that you fill throughout the month with outgrown clothes and toys etc and make a rule for yourself such as you have to donate the box on the first of every month.

Good luck!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bada For This Useful Post:

EnchantedGrace (22-09-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Kids toys 🧸

Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    We still have so, so many toys. DS just does not want to part with anything (he's 9). He insists on keeping them 'for his kids' when he grows up!
    I keep a big tub in the garage for each kid’s sentimental toys and tell them that’s it, if it doesn’t fit in there they need to ditch something from the tub or ditch the thing they’re trying to cram into the tub might help your situation? I might be a bit tougher than others would be with this stuff but we only have a small house!
    Last edited by bada; 22-09-2020 at 22:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My advice would be to first sort the toys into categories.

Alphabet, numbers, colours, and shapes
    Small world play
    Fine motor development
    Gross motor development
    Etc...

Some categories may overlap such as fine motor and small world play, and that's okay! It will save you space and time.

For every category, dedicate an appropriately sized section in the house. This may be as small as a medium sized basket filled with small world play toys or as large as a spare room filled with gross motor skill equipment. It's entirely up to you.

Pack away all toys except one or two from each category - OR - just enough to fill the space you've decided to dedicate to that category.

Rotate the toys on a fortnightly basis to keep it fresh.