+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Importing embryo into Australia

Hello

Has anyone out there imported embryos from overseas. I have 4 embryos still created by partners sperm and donated egg. I successfully gave birth to a little girl but want to try for another one next year but the embryos are in Spain. With COVID and a ban on overseas travel I am likely not able to travel there and don’t want to take any risks. So has anyone had any experience in importing there embryos. I am keen to hear from someone in WA as the legislation is slightly different and would be more beneficial for me to import into WA. Although I would prefer Queensland. Thanks 🙏

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mia75 View Post
    Hello

Has anyone out there imported embryos from overseas. I have 4 embryos still created by partners sperm and donated egg. I successfully gave birth to a little girl but want to try for another one next year but the embryos are in Spain. With COVID and a ban on overseas travel I am likely not able to travel there and don’t want to take any risks. So has anyone had any experience in importing there embryos. I am keen to hear from someone in WA as the legislation is slightly different and would be more beneficial for me to import into WA. Although I would prefer Queensland. Thanks 🙏
    Don't know about now or WA, but I looked into this about three years ago. Donation can't be anonymous in Australia, or at least most jurisdictions I'm aware of. So if the egg donor is anonymous, I'm guessing you might struggle. I didn't dig any deeper into it though, so perhaps there are ways around it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Also interested and in WA so following!

From my limited research you can’t but would be great to hear otherwise!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalina View Post
    Don't know about now or WA, but I looked into this about three years ago. Donation can't be anonymous in Australia, or at least most jurisdictions I'm aware of. So if the egg donor is anonymous, I'm guessing you might struggle. I didn't dig any deeper into it though, so perhaps there are ways around it.
    Do you have your embryos in an overseas clinic if so which one? Do you mind telling me which state you are in? I am doing bit more research and I have noticed that Victoria and WA have a committee where you need to seek approval if there it’s anonymous. Looking into more and will post here

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful137 View Post
    Also interested and in WA so following!

From my limited research you can’t but would be great to hear otherwise!
    Do you have embryos overseas? Which country? Will post my research here

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Do you have your embryos in an overseas clinic if so which one? Do you mind telling me which state you are in? I am doing bit more research and I have noticed that Victoria and WA have a committee where you need to seek approval if there it’s anonymous. Looking into more and will post here

I do, in the Czech Republic, but I'm not looking to transfer them - my last transfer was successful and I've got my little dd2. I looked into it briefly a couple of years ago because I'd been overseas for multiple failed transfers (different country and clinic) and it was getting expensive. I fortunately found a great clinic and was all done before this pandemic hit.

From what I did see at the time transporting would have been much more expensive than travelling multiple times. Of course now travelling costs a lot more even when possible, so good on you for exploring the possibilities.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello

Hello! I'm in South Australia and a couple of years ago my FS told me that I should bring over my overseas embryos from Greece as they are my embryos and all I need to do is ring up the clinic and tell them I'm wanting to fly over my embryos from Greece, and to not mention donor eggs/sperm. As they are your embryos the clinic would have your names on them. It's just a suggestion

We didn't end up flying them over as I didn't trust anyone except my doctor in Greece (Dr Nikos) to do the transfer (I felt my clinic in SA was very money hungry and couldn't be trusted).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Do you have embryos overseas? Which country? Will post my research here
    Yes, in Greece! I’d be interested to know if what @Goldie25 says is true. My clinic here know I went over...but I could go to a different clinic here

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, this is getting intersting.
    Thinking out loud, I could get embryos created and bring them over here to transfer.

But I dont think its a cheap option, I remember that the Sydney clinic that does bring known donor eggs for transfer in Sydney, has to have someone travel with the eggs on the plane. I think they said someone is paid to actually carry the eggs in a special bag on the plane. If I remember corectly, they carry four clients eggs (or embyos). This makes it cheaper to do. I think when I asked about going to the Sydney clinic a few years ago, I was quoted about 25K in US$ to buy and bring either 6 or 8 (I can't remember) eggs or embryos to Sydney. Then there was also transfer, flights and accomodation costs from Melbourne.

It would be nice if the fastracked consent to tother clinics to do the same, but I don't know that will happen in Melb anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalina View Post
    I do, in the Czech Republic, but I'm not looking to transfer them - my last transfer was successful and I've got my little dd2. I looked into it briefly a couple of years ago because I'd been overseas for multiple failed transfers (different country and clinic) and it was getting expensive. I fortunately found a great clinic and was all done before this pandemic hit.

From what I did see at the time transporting would have been much more expensive than travelling multiple times. Of course now travelling costs a lot more even when possible, so good on you for exploring the possibilities.
    Glad to hear you had your dd2. I did look into importing many years ago out of curiosity and saw it was really expensive and not much information on it. Now that I am looking into it more deeply there is a bit more information on the laws in different states and the cost seems to be less Then previously but once you add it all up it does still cost more if I was to travel overseas in normal circumstances but unfortunately we are no longer in “normal” times.