+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Armpit hair - 9 year old boy - cause for concern?

Yesterday morning I noticed DS (who is nine and a half) has his first armpit hair Just a single one, not very long, it is only about eyelash length.

I thought I'd google (as you do) to see if that's a bit soon and I'm now a bit concerned. Apparently this can be a sign of 'precocious puberty'.

I know at this age some girls start showing signs of puberty, but for boys it's usually later.

He also started having B.O pretty young (has been using aluminium-free deodorant since he was about 7).

Does this warrant further action, or would you just wait and see if he shows more signs?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'd get your gp to refer to an endochronologist. Feel free to PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi (10-09-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Precious puberty is usually diagnosed if the child is showing signs of puberty before the age of 9 (for males) so I'd say your boy still falls under the range of what's considered normal (but a visit to the doctor can't hurt if you're concerned).

I will say that I had a couple of underarm hairs quite early but I didn't get my period until I was 14 and showed no other signs of development (and was never particularly hairy either) so sometimes it's just one of those things. I had the same 3 or 4 underarm hairs for 2 years lol

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Elevatormusic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've booked a GP appointment for DS on Monday. I really trust her judgement, so I think she'll refer us on to an endochronologist if she thinks there's cause for further investigation.

Fingers crossed it's just a hair that has sprouted a bit early and not a sign that full blown puberty has started DH is a very hairy man, so maybe he's just taking after his dad (?) Nevertheless, I'm taking it seriously until I know there's no underlying issue.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

JustJaq (10-09-2020)

hakuna matata is online now The artist formerly know as babyhopeful
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DS was 10 in feb and started growing a few underarm hairs maybe 5 months ago?
    Apparently he has one on his balls too according to him 🤦🏻‍♀️

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hakuna matata For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    I've booked a GP appointment for DS on Monday. I really trust her judgement, so I think she'll refer us on to an endochronologist if she thinks there's cause for further investigation.

Fingers crossed it's just a hair that has sprouted a bit early and not a sign that full blown puberty has started DH is a very hairy man, so maybe he's just taking after his dad (?) Nevertheless, I'm taking it seriously until I know there's no underlying issue.
    What did the GP say?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Wise Enough View Post
    What did the GP say?
    After discussing with DH, we decided not to rush him to the GP just yet, so I cancelled the appointment.

If a second hair pops up in the very near future or if there is any other hint of puberty progressing prematurely we'll definitely move forward with further investigation.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

BettyV (25-09-2020),Mamasupial (16-09-2020),Mod-Wise Enough (18-09-2020),turquoisecoast (24-09-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    Yesterday morning I noticed DS (who is nine and a half) has his first armpit hair Just a single one, not very long, it is only about eyelash length.

I thought I'd google (as you do) to see if that's a bit soon and I'm now a bit concerned. Apparently this can be a sign of 'precocious puberty'.

I know at this age some girls start showing signs of puberty, but for boys it's usually later.

He also started having B.O pretty young (has been using aluminium-free deodorant since he was about 7).

Does this warrant further action, or would you just wait and see if he shows more signs?
    I got hairs on my vagina & underarms at 10.

I know boys generally go through puberty later but maybe that gen have become younger.

I wouldnt be too concerned at 1 hair at 9 and a half.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to WintersDay For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi (24-09-2020)