+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not usually, you can't request surgery just because that is your choice preference there has to be means that csn be justified, a c section is major surgery with big risks involved. Private obs wont all do c sections just because you ask either, my choice preference was a c section due to long term back and hip issues, ob advised against as 1st preference but worked with me with epidural both births and medically required inductions. Given neither child ever slept or could be put down it did help with mobility afterwards

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    Maybe one reason why they don't just book c sections unless they fit a certain criteria in the public system is they probably cost a lot more of the tax payers money. (I go public so it's not anything against people who go public).

They are probably less likely to book a first time mother for a c section straight up. Also probably depends how regional you are and their capacity to do c sections.
    You're onto something with cost... *based on public*

Assuming neither mum or bub have complications pre or post birth...

I'm not in the medical field, but at some vaginal births, you may have just a midwife, and maybe have an ob pop in for delivery, or checkup afterwards. You might have an OB pop in during labour, and maybe get some pain meds, maybe an anethatist for an epidural.... but they usually put it in and leave

For a csection, you've got an anethatist, ob, midwife, other theatre staff all there with you for the duration (I can't remember but I think there's usually been 5ish people in mine) possibly a pediatrician?

after a csection you're closely monitored, I know the midwives basically sit beside you for the first however long repeatedly doing obs. I haven't had a natural so can't comment exactly.

Then there's the cost of preparation of the theatre, the different medications etc

So, a straight forward vaginal birth with minimal intervention would cost significantly less than your average csection.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowangel0205 View Post
    You're onto something with cost... *based on public*

Assuming neither mum or bub have complications pre or post birth...

I'm not in the medical field, but at some vaginal births, you may have just a midwife, and maybe have an ob pop in for delivery, or checkup afterwards. You might have an OB pop in during labour, and maybe get some pain meds, maybe an anethatist for an epidural.... but they usually put it in and leave

For a csection, you've got an anethatist, ob, midwife, other theatre staff all there with you for the duration (I can't remember but I think there's usually been 5ish people in mine) possibly a pediatrician?

after a csection you're closely monitored, I know the midwives basically sit beside you for the first however long repeatedly doing obs. I haven't had a natural so can't comment exactly.

Then there's the cost of preparation of the theatre, the different medications etc

So, a straight forward vaginal birth with minimal intervention would cost significantly less than your average csection.
    I think I had 15 odd people in with me for ds2 and dd. I also know my private ob will not do a csec just because you ask for one. Nothing if you where to add everything up it would at least be $30k I know my bills where around $15k for hospital stay for 5 nights but obviously with phi I don’t pay any of that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babybeeno1 View Post
    I think I had 15 odd people in with me for ds2 and dd. I also know my private ob will not do a csec just because you ask for one. Nothing if you where to add everything up it would at least be $30k I know my bills where around $15k for hospital stay for 5 nights but obviously with phi I don’t pay any of that.
    I honestly don't remember much of ds3s birth. I'm not sure still if that's good or bad.

I don't know if it's because I slept horribly the night before, or if it was the medication but I was struggling to keep my eyes open on the table. I think I must've done a tired eye roll a few times and freaked df out because I remember him startling me awake with "BABE!!! Are you ok!!!?"

Even once he was out, I struggled to stay awake. In recovery I was slightly better