+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What did you eat after giving birth?

Hi all, I will be talking to the hospital dieticians in the coming week but just wondered, for those of you with gestational diabetes. What happens with your diet after giving birth-specifically those few days in hospital? Last time (no GD) I took muesli bars, and other carby snacks to keep in hospital for when I was hungry. I find hospital food repulsive so fiancé brought me the likes of sushi, subway etc....can you resume a somewhat less carb counting approach in those first few days or so I still need to carb count and have appropriate food? Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    With my last bub I had GD...
    I was admitted the afternoon before my scheduled csection (2 prior csection + bub was breech)
    The hospital had me down as diabetic, so some meal options were removed.
    After birth, I just ate hospital food. I had to still monitor my sugars for 24 or 48 hours post birth.

One of the midwives said to me a bit after the monitoring stopped, have I had chocolate yet 😅 I said no... she's like "if you come to the nurses station in 15 mins we've got a bucket of m&ms 😂😂 I was like nah, my mum brought up a peppermint slice from the bakery yesterday I just haven't had any yet.

She thought I was crazy 😂

3. The Following User Says Thank You to EnchantedGrace For This Useful Post:

onedaymaybebaby (08-08-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowangel0205 View Post
    With my last bub I had GD...
    I was admitted the afternoon before my scheduled csection (2 prior csection + bub was breech)
    The hospital had me down as diabetic, so some meal options were removed.
    After birth, I just ate hospital food. I had to still monitor my sugars for 24 or 48 hours post birth.

One of the midwives said to me a bit after the monitoring stopped, have I had chocolate yet I said no... she's like "if you come to the nurses station in 15 mins we've got a bucket of m&ms I was like nah, my mum brought up a peppermint slice from the bakery yesterday I just haven't had any yet.

She thought I was crazy
    Ohhh peppermint slice 🤤 haha while I’m not craving “bad” food, I remember the day I gave birth they served a really spicy Thai green curry, I’m shocking with spicy food but that was the last thing I wanted after childbirth fiancé had to go and get me maccas as that time of night nothing else was open 🤦🏻‍♀️ I’m birthing at a stage 3 restriction hospital here in vic so fiancé is only allowed in between 10.30am -12.30pm daily so I want to be a bit better prepared and take a few options incase the hospital food is cactus again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by onedaymaybebaby View Post
    Ohhh peppermint slice 🤤 haha while I’m not craving “bad” food, I remember the day I gave birth they served a really spicy Thai green curry, I’m shocking with spicy food but that was the last thing I wanted after childbirth fiancé had to go and get me maccas as that time of night nothing else was open 🤦🏻‍♀️ I’m birthing at a stage 3 restriction hospital here in vic so fiancé is only allowed in between 10.30am -12.30pm daily so I want to be a bit better prepared and take a few options incase the hospital food is cactus again
    Haha, after the initial devistation of my diagnosis I found once i was in the groove it was surprisingly easy to sick to and do. I didn't crave anything either.
    I refused to celebrate my birthday at all and had my other 2 kid birthdays, my mum's birthday, and Easter all within the 2 months before bubs birth. It was actually not that bad (other than my tantrum about my own birthday 😂😂) if I couldn't eat cake, we weren't celebrating.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to EnchantedGrace For This Useful Post:

onedaymaybebaby (09-08-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had GD last time and was told as soon as the placenta is out, you can eat whatever you like.
    I was all prepared to go crazy on the sugar, but it kind of was a bit of a letdown. It was nice to just be able to eat whatever without having to exchange count

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SJ565 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ565 View Post
    I had GD last time and was told as soon as the placenta is out, you can eat whatever you like.
    I was all prepared to go crazy on the sugar, but it kind of was a bit of a letdown. It was nice to just be able to eat whatever without having to exchange count
    This. I just ended up having a sandwich on fresh white bread. In my head I was thinking cake, chocolate and the like but in the end I wasn’t interested.

The next day was our wedding anniversary so DH made a cheese platter and we ate it in the hospital room.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It goes away straight after birth. I tested this out and had like 70 g of carbs, then tested bgl, it was still under lol .
    Eat whatever

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kazza78 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default What did you eat after giving birth?

toast with ds as it was breaky time by the time i got back to the room and someone accidentally gave me toast not realizing i wasn’t supposed to eat food so soon after the cs (and nor did i haha). luckily i didn’t bring it back up.

after dd they were awful, wouldn’t let me have more than a few sips of water for ages, i was dying. i eventually begged someone for a few crappy sandwiches as i was starving (hadn’t eaten since night before as it was a scheduled cs) and they gave me a couple grudgingly. again, kept them down.

not very exciting but i had all my forbidden foods after we got home.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone! Good to know! I’m not worried about catching up on all the “bad” foods as such, probably more the non pregnancy friendly food like deli ham etc haha! I’m going to get fiancé to bring me a few ham/salad sandwiches to keep in the fridge and I think I’ll just take some muesli bars and fruit to snack on if I get peckish. I didn’t eat too bad before GD, but it will be nice not to have to carb count!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Had whatever, i requested cakes, burgers and atr pasta at home as could eat so little during pregnancy