Closed Thread
Page 3 of 96 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I am not in Melbourne, but I'm also sick of being the laughing stock of the country. I've got a cousin in Adelaide, who lived here until the late 90s, and still has his elderly (late 80) parents here plus several siblings, forever making jokes about the "dirty victorians" with their "chinavirus" or "vicwegia", how stupid we are and ies our own faults we are suffering, serves us right etc etc.... he has NO idea. He's like "we're all safe over here in Adelaide blah blah,"

I'm TERRIFIED. Our town has a population of 10,000. 8 people contracted it from 1 person, 1 died. 2 more have got it, unrelated, and there's talk a visitor to town is the reason, that said visitors been everywhere. Our police are isolating as one of the newest 2 cases was"connected" to a home they raided last week... so who knows where it's going to stop?? I'm sure we will be the next hotspot.

I'm glad school is remote. I'm removing ds2 from childcare, forever (which makes me sad) but he'll be finishing up in December anyway, and it'll probably be October at the earliest before I feel comfortable sending him again assuming things go well, so what's the point?

I'm keeping him home from kinder this week - and next most likely - until I can gauge exactly how bad community transmission is here. I flatly refused to catch up this week with friends who insisted we should "before restrictions".

I thought I was scared last time, and we didn't even have any cases locally. Now its here, (and knowing mum wouldn't survive it, she's currently day 12 of a normal cold she's struggling to shake, and likely not me either) I'm not wanting Anyone to set foot outside our home until it's all just gone away completely, and i know that's impossible.

I just wish people would listen so things can just be done and we can then move on. It really isn't the time to be trying to gain your 15 seconds of fame
    Last edited by shadowangel0205; 04-08-2020 at 23:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    Maybe I'm over tired, or perhaps I've missed the point completely but so much more has been going on that would negatively impact people's mental health than being forced to stay at home. I don't think the majority of people were fragile and on the edge of a mental health cliff before this happened, but the sum total of recent events would have had a profound impact on lots of people. eg here is a list of things that have upset me recently. I'm sure I'm not the only one - mass job losses, shut down of entire industries, number of deaths overseas in particular Italy, Spain, England and New York, panic buying and empty supermarket shelves led to the fear that I would run out of food, the pressure WFH while simultaneously having to home school a SN child, the pressure of having to set up a home office when chairs, computers etc were flying off the shelves and having to spend savings that I had earmarked for home repairs to kit out out said office, sacking of staff at work led to paranoia and being scared I would be next, having to redesign how we do our business ie shift F2F events with external parties to online and reengineer our work practices, fear of the future, too much change too quickly, not knowing how, when and if all of this will end, feeling cut off from friends and family.
    Look I've read this a few times and now I'm not really sure what you're saying, but I get the sense that this is interpreting what I wrote through the most negative possible filter. I feel like the spirit and intent of my very brief post were apparent, maybe not. I didn't say people had no other problems, and I didn't go into anyone's personal situation, including my own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    i need to vent.
    I read this earlier and your post reminded me of it. I've been searching since I read your post to try find it...

Screenshot_20200805-000320_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20200805-000340_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20200805-000402_Facebook.jpg

Maybe you could look her up and share it? Tagging your sister is probably a bit too obvious 😂
    Last edited by shadowangel0205; 05-08-2020 at 00:10.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EnchantedGrace For This Useful Post:

BettyV (06-08-2020),SJ565 (05-08-2020),turquoisecoast (05-08-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowangel0205 View Post
    I read this earlier and your post reminded me of it. I've been searching since I read your post to try find it...

Attachment 104520Attachment 104521Attachment 104522

Maybe you could look her up and share it? Tagging your sister is probably a bit too obvious
    love this, thanks for sharing and taking the time to find it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalina View Post
    Look I've read this a few times and now I'm not really sure what you're saying, but I get the sense that this is interpreting what I wrote through the most negative possible filter. I feel like the spirit and intent of my very brief post were apparent, maybe not. I didn't say people had no other problems, and I didn't go into anyone's personal situation, including my own.
    I meant it is a bit simplistic to say that lockdown has created a mental health crisis when so much sh!t has happened this year that there will be a multitude of reasons that people feel fragile at the moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have tried to type a reply to your original post maybe five times now, but each time I’ve become too upset to post it.

What you wrote came across as really insensitive. Perhaps you didn’t mean it, but essentially what you did, was directly after my post that mentioned that I was feeling a bit down after the Stage 4 announcement and didn’t know how I was going to cope with being expected to be available on Zoom for 6+ hours straight every day with no interruptions, while attempting to parent a 3 year old, you wrote a post that implied that the problem must be that I have had to spend a few weeks cooped up with my loved ones. In doing so, I felt that you had casually implied that my family must be dysfunctional, or that I don’t love them, or can’t stand being around them.

You then went on to suggest that anyone who experiences a bit of added anxiety or stress at this time must have been on the brink of breakdown already, implying that if we don’t all just suck it up and act like life is wonderful then we must be walking around like ticking time bombs, just waiting to explode.

I wonder, are you in metropolitan VIC too? Because if you aren’t, then maybe you don’t sense the overall vibe of the place since the announcement. To most of us, it feels like there is no endpoint. We had the restrictions. The vast majority of us did the right thing. And now here we are, in a harsher lockdown than before, the economy collapsed, no foreseeable end in sight, no support from interstate, and being expected to just continue on as if nothing has happened in order to appease.

It felt inconsiderate, targeted, and hurtful. Regardless of your intention, that’s how it was perceived. If more than one person “took it the wrong way”, then maybe it wouldn’t hurt to just read over what you write and make sure it’s conveying your true intention.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shoopuf For This Useful Post:

BettyV (06-08-2020),Mum-I-Am (05-08-2020),SSecret Squirrel (05-08-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    I meant it is a bit simplistic to say that lockdown has created a mental health crisis when so much sh!t has happened this year that there will be a multitude of reasons that people feel fragile at the moment.
    I didn't say it created a crisis. Or caused. You used those words, not me, and now you're putting me in a position where I'm supposed to defend something I never said.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalina For This Useful Post:

stacey10 (05-08-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Shoopuf I'm sorry that things are difficult, but I don't accept responsibility for the 101 things you read into my very brief post.

And, for the record, I find your post very hurtful too. You have no idea what stresses other people have in their lives, perhaps think about that before you choose to make something personal.
    Last edited by Kalina; 05-08-2020 at 08:05.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalina For This Useful Post:

stacey10 (05-08-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Shoopuf I'm sorry that things are difficult, but I don't accept responsibility for the 101 things you read into my very brief post.
    And I hope that attitude works out for you in life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default COVID-19 (Coronavirus) chat #4

I didn't say it created a crisis. Or caused. You used those words, not me, and now you're putting me in a position where I'm supposed to defend something I never said.
    I didn’t read your post the way others have. I thought you meant that people were in a fragile state now (which is clear from everyone’s responses that many are given their reactions)
    and the new lockdown is the tipping point. It doesn’t seem offensive, it seems true? There’s nothing wrong with being mentally fragile, it’s not an insult. It’s reality for a lot of people, especially now. Me included. I feel like a Victoria-style lockdown here would send me over the edge and I’m fearful that it will happen soon.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats (05-08-2020),Kalina (05-08-2020),stacey10 (05-08-2020),Stretched (05-08-2020)