+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 85 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalina View Post

And, for the record, I find your post very hurtful too. You have no idea what stresses other people have in their lives, perhaps think about that before you choose to make something personal.
    I wish you nothing but peace, and am sorry that being told that you hurt me has now hurt you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    I didn’t read your post the way others have. I thought you meant that people were in a fragile state now (which is clear from everyone’s responses that many are given their reactions)
    and the new lockdown is the tipping point. It doesn’t seem offensive, it seems true? There’s nothing wrong with being mentally fragile, it’s not an insult. It’s reality for a lot of people, especially now. Me included.
    Thank you. Yes, that's what I meant and what I explained that I meant.

I'm feeling pretty bl**dy fragile right now as well.
    Last edited by Kalina; 05-08-2020 at 08:33.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I didn't say it created a crisis. Or caused. You used those words, not me, and now you're putting me in a position where I'm supposed to defend something I never said.
    It has caused a mental health crisis. I’m not sure why we are on here trying to say it hasn’t. People are under immense pressure and stress.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoopuf View Post
    I have tried to type a reply to your original post maybe five times now, but each time I’ve become too upset to post it.

What you wrote came across as really insensitive. Perhaps you didn’t mean it, but essentially what you did, was directly after my post that mentioned that I was feeling a bit down after the Stage 4 announcement and didn’t know how I was going to cope with being expected to be available on Zoom for 6+ hours straight every day with no interruptions, while attempting to parent a 3 year old, you wrote a post that implied that the problem must be that I have had to spend a few weeks cooped up with my loved ones. In doing so, I felt that you had casually implied that my family must be dysfunctional, or that I don’t love them, or can’t stand being around them.

You then went on to suggest that anyone who experiences a bit of added anxiety or stress at this time must have been on the brink of breakdown already, implying that if we don’t all just suck it up and act like life is wonderful then we must be walking around like ticking time bombs, just waiting to explode.

I wonder, are you in metropolitan VIC too? Because if you aren’t, then maybe you don’t sense the overall vibe of the place since the announcement. To most of us, it feels like there is no endpoint. We had the restrictions. The vast majority of us did the right thing. And now here we are, in a harsher lockdown than before, the economy collapsed, no foreseeable end in sight, no support from interstate, and being expected to just continue on as if nothing has happened in order to appease.

It felt inconsiderate, targeted, and hurtful. Regardless of your intention, that’s how it was perceived. If more than one person “took it the wrong way”, then maybe it wouldn’t hurt to just read over what you write and make sure it’s conveying your true intention.
    See I didn't get any of this from her post

I guess I've seen Kalina a lot of the time on here reflect on society as a whole. She's clearly a deep thinker who sees big patterns of behaviour on a population-wide level. I took her post as another broad reflection, a contemplation, a rhetorical question.

I do think "society" does have an issue with mental health and Pre-pandemic there already was a fragility. Society didn't need a lot to push itself over the edge, and we've been dished up WELL MORE than "a lot".

I don't know what has caused this mental state (again, in a broad general sense - not any 1 person's mental state). I'd theorize that it is a combination of technology-induced disconnection and a whole 1-2 generations lack of resillience due to never experiencing a genuine "tough time" (e.g. war rations, depression, etc). Our economic/societal "worst" (for me it was entering the jobs market amidst the early 90s recession) is nothing compared to what is going on now. None of us know how to cope.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats (05-08-2020),babyno1onboard (05-08-2020),Kalina (05-08-2020),MissTwiggley (05-08-2020),stacey10 (05-08-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the timing of the post was what got me. It was hard not to see a link, particularly given that a very similar thing had occurred a day or two prior, again, after one of my posts.

I’m not here to argue. What was posted made me feel like absolute garbage. I’m glad others didn’t feel that way.

I deliberated for days on whether it was worth bringing up. I realise now it wasn’t.

I’m out. I hope everyone stays safe and finds happiness ❤️

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    I didn’t read your post the way others have. I thought you meant that people were in a fragile state now (which is clear from everyone’s responses that many are given their reactions)
    and the new lockdown is the tipping point. It doesn’t seem offensive, it seems true? There’s nothing wrong with being mentally fragile, it’s not an insult. It’s reality for a lot of people, especially now. Me included. I feel like a Victoria-style lockdown here would send me over the edge and I’m fearful that it will happen soon.
    this was how i interpreted kalina’s post too. it didn’t seem offensive at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    @Shoopuf clear your pms lovely xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    I do think "society" does have an issue with mental health and Pre-pandemic there already was a fragility. Society didn't need a lot to push itself over the edge, and we've been dished up WELL MORE than "a lot".

I don't know what has caused this mental state (again, in a broad general sense - not any 1 person's mental state). I'd theorize that it is a combination of technology-induced disconnection and a whole 1-2 generations lack of resillience due to never experiencing a genuine "tough time" (e.g. war rations, depression, etc). Our economic/societal "worst" (for me it was entering the jobs market amidst the early 90s recession) is nothing compared to what is going on now. None of us know how to cope.
    This is what I've been thinking too. Over the last few months I've thought a lot about my grandparents and their generation, their peers, as well. They went through extraordinary things on both an individual and societal level.

*If anyone is going to take this personally, look away now please*

During the first lockdown I mentioned my concern about the effects on little kids to my mother. She was born into a war, occupation. One of her earliest memories is of being hidden by her own mother when German soldiers swept through resistance-fighters' houses, listening to their boots and knowing that she mustn't make a sound. She told me that despite the backdrop of fear and violence, her enduring memory of that time is elation at receiving red cross relief packages. I honestly think she experienced more pure joy at getting a couple of mandarins than our children do despite the life of abundance so many of us lead. She wonders whether experiencing the current situation could potentially be, in a general and overall formative sense, good for the current generation of children.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kalina For This Useful Post:

MissTwiggley (05-08-2020),Mum-I-Am (05-08-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is what I've been thinking too. Over the last few months I've thought a lot about my grandparents and their generation, their peers, as well. They went through extraordinary things on both an individual and societal level.

*If anyone is going to take this personally, look away now please*

During the first lockdown I mentioned my concern about the effects on little kids to my mother. She was born into a war, occupation. One of her earliest memories is of being hidden by her own mother when German soldiers swept through resistance-fighters' houses, listening to their boots and knowing that she mustn't make a sound. She told me that despite the backdrop of fear and violence, her enduring memory of that time is elation at receiving red cross relief packages. I honestly think she experienced more pure joy at getting a couple of mandarins than our children do despite the life of abundance so many of us lead. She thinks that experiencing this could potentially be, in a general and overall formative sense, good for the current generation of children.
    as a direct relative of eastern european prisoners of war and concentration camp occupants, i get this. it’s probably not a palatable view but i do understand where you’re coming from as it’s part of my heritage too and there are aspects of hard times that can breed some good.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Kalina (05-08-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    as a direct relative of eastern european prisoners of war and concentration camp occupants, i get this. it’s probably not a palatable view but i do understand where you’re coming from as it’s part of my heritage too and there are aspects of hard times that can breed some good.
    Yes, you wouldn't wish hard times on anyone of course. I guess it's a kind of optimism, hoping that difficult times will (amongst other things) breed kindness, empathy and appreciation for better times, if that makes sense.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalina For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast (05-08-2020)