+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 96 1231151 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default COVID-19 (Coronavirus) chat #4

Quote Originally Posted by Kalina View Post
    One of the things this whole pandemic-management-lockdown-business indirectly exposes is the disproportionate mental health issue we seem to have. This is completely generally speaking, but even going back to the first, relatively mild lockdown - why are so many people in our society just a few weeks of being cooped up with their nearest and dearest away from mental breakdown? Is it the pressure of wanting to emerge from this unscathed, economically, educationally, socially? I don't know. I really feel for Victorians right now, and I hope the mental health support will help people.
    I've read this post a few times and don't quite understand what you mean. Are you saying that staying home for a few weeks was the straw that broke the camel's back and exposed mental health issues in a lot of people? or something else?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Personally, I just think that it's just adding another layer of stress people don't need... it's hard enough being a parent, let alone trying to be a full time parent, hold down a job, play teacher, run a house.... I'm not so sure that's a mental health issue as such, just a new degree of stress on families that they wouldn't otherwise have if their children were going to school/ kinder/childcare.

I think if you took any single responsibility away most people would cope fine. Aka they can cook, clean, run a house and be mum/dad while working, but being a teacher TOO?...no... Or they can teach and be a parent, but running the house as well?....no...

It's just a dynamic of juggling an extra hat we as a society haven't really had to do on such a large scale. It's perfectly natural to worry about the end outcome of how everyone is going to come out of it. I'd like to think my kids aren't going to have negative effects, but I can't say for sure.

Ds1 literally whooped and did a happy dance when I said we are home schooling. 🤦‍♀️ I think I died a little inside 😅 but was also kind of proud that he was happy to go again and wasn't dreading it like I am.
    Last edited by shadowangel0205; 04-08-2020 at 08:15.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats (04-08-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    I've read this post a few times and don't quite understand what you mean. Are you saying that staying home for a few weeks was the straw that broke the camel's back and exposed mental health issues in a lot of people? or something else?
    I’m not sure exactly what the OP intended but I saw it that COVID has exposed how fragile many peoples mental health was given that this lock down has been the straw that broke the camels back.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats (04-08-2020),Kalina (04-08-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    Yep, as pp said above, exposing the fragility.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    i need to vent. i’m so sick of feeling triggered when i vent/complain about this to my family. specifically my sister, as there’s zero empathy. she just replies back with how easy she found their 6 week lockdown. they were “like your stage 4”. no you weren’t. wa never came close to this (not that it’s a competition but that’s not my point). she chose to keep her kids home, key word being choice. they were still able to go out without a mask, move about freely. businesses were not shut. they chose to stay home and she treated it like some kind of preppers survivalist summer camp. and she’s being really fu cking dismissive of what victoria is currently going through. i get that unless you’re living it, it’s probably hard to grasp how depressing and grim it really feels, but far out, just respond with gosh that does sound really hard, are you ok? not smugly replying with “oh we had fun, we found it quite easy”. like stfu. she keeps telling me to do a timetable routine thing for each day which i’m finding really fu cking annoying too, as if breaking up the day into small blocks changes anything. i’ve ignored her unhelpful comments so far but it’s pushing the limits of my patience now.

any advice or tips? she just comes across as smug and annoying and ignorant. it’s like if you had a friend who was complaining of her crappy hubby, you wouldn’t fly out with “oh mine’s a dream, cooks and cleans and gives me massages on the couch whilst feeding my grapes and wine” would you? no, you’d show some empathy. i don’t want to have my feelings minimized or dismissed. this feels sh itty and it would be nice if that could be acknowledged.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats (04-08-2020),JR03 (04-08-2020),Kalina (04-08-2020),LoveLivesHere (04-08-2020),PinkPopsicle (04-08-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    @turquoisecoast wow she’s really lacking empathy. Maybe reserve your vents / chats about the Victorian situation to others who live there or at least people with empathy!

I can’t imagine how stifling it must feel and I hope that the cases start to drop quickly so you guys can get some freedoms back.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast (04-08-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowangel0205 View Post
    Ds1 literally whooped and did a happy dance when I said we are home schooling. 🤦‍♀️ I think I died a little inside 😅 but was also kind of proud that he was happy to go again and wasn't dreading it like I am.
    Clearly you made it too much fun for him 😁. One of the mums at school was telling me that her daughter didn't want to go back last time when schools reopened, her grandma had been home schooling - so the mum took over for a week, and just like that real school seemed far more appealing...

Thanks
    Reviews
    @turquoisecoast I would just tell her that you hope she doesn't have to find out what a hard lockdown really feels like, and that it's nice when you have the choice of dabbling in it when you don't actually have to.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalina For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast (04-08-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    @turquoisecoast wow she’s really lacking empathy. Maybe reserve your vents / chats about the Victorian situation to others who live there or at least people with empathy!

I can’t imagine how stifling it must feel and I hope that the cases start to drop quickly so you guys can get some freedoms back.
    she’s usually like this with me. it feels like some weird competitive thing, she always refuses to acknowledge my struggles. or wins. eg: we paid our car off last week, it was only the last $400. instead of just oh congrats, she replies with “church money”. there’s always a subtle put down or backhanded compliment. she has no real close female friends, hangs out with our cousin lots, but no real close female friends. sort of derides the fact i bothered to keep close with my mothers group, retorts she “doesn’t have time for superficial friendships” when i mention my little support network. just stuff like that. i almost expect it from her now but it still bothers me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalina View Post
    @turquoisecoast I would just tell her that you hope she doesn't have to find out what a hard lockdown really feels like, and that it's nice when you have the choice of dabbling in it when you don't actually have to.
    this! ill quote you verbatim. dabbling in its summarizes it perfectly. the ability to choose which aspects of the “disaster” to apply to
    your own life are nice privilege. but stop playing games and pretending you know what it’s like.

like she was telling me oh if it all went down here in wa, we’d go to our parents place, safety in numbers etc. that alone is so ignorant because in a true state of disaster, you’re restricted from traveling anywhere. it’s like she thinks she can just up and go, regardless of the fact that police are enforcing stay at home directives. it’s like she thinks i’m just complaining because it’s a bit hard, she really doesn’t get it.