+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Is it teething or other pain?

Would like advice from other mamma's about my little boy being in pain a lot.

My bub is 6.5months and for about 3 weeks has been exhibiting strong teething symptoms, gnawing, drooling, lumpy gums, fussy, crying etc
    I consulted our GP about if it's just teething about 2 weeks ago and he said no sign of an ear infection and to give Panadol as needed 4 hourly with Nurofen when required. He's been averaging Panadol 2 times a day and sometimes Nurofen too.
    The last 4 days he's been up and down really upset all night (normally a great sleeper) and just not himself during the day, crying, clingy and upset, pulling his ears as well as chewing his hands a lot.
    I just don't see how teething alone can go for so long, everything I read says the pain should only last a week.

I'm worried something else is wrong, I'm going back to the GP again tomorrow to get him looked over again but wanted to ask your experiences, can teething take this long?

Might be unrelated but when he is in his highchair or bouncy chair, after about 10 min or sometimes when held, he starts arching his back and crying, sometimes grunting too like he's uncomfortable.

Can anyone help with anything? TIA
    Last edited by Simyt; 03-08-2020 at 02:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Update, we've been up hourly tonight, I'm a mess and he's not happy. He's going hoarse from crying and he's also weeing a lot over night, he's already filled a nappy by 3am today and yesterday by this time he'd wet through his sleeping bag.
    He's feeding overnight to settle so might explain it.
    He seems to settle when I'm holding him after a few min and eventually goes to sleep so I'm just not sure if it's definitely teething??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That sounds really tough on both of you. It reminds me of when my dd had a uti at around the same age. I had two different doctors tell me it was just teething before the uti was finally identified. I know uti’s are less common with boys but it might still be worth checking. Hope things improve soon.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

Simyt (03-08-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    When I have doubted if it was teething or more, it ended up being more.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

Kalina (03-08-2020),Simyt (03-08-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd definitely get another gp appointment, it sounds pretty intense and prolonged, certainly worse than any teething I'm aware of if it is that. I know that's not very helpful, but just thought I'd say don't let them fob you off with the "teething" fallback if you feel there's more going on.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalina For This Useful Post:

Simyt (03-08-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, @Kalina, @BettyV @Mamasupial

well I left the dr feeling more confused. She checked his ears, chest, throat and said health wise he's perfect. I expressed that I'm worried he is in other pain and she asked a heap of questions and her suggestion is just to give him more solids at night to fill him up more and that maybe he's just waking crying for a comfort feed. I just don't think that's it.

She gave me a website for "purple crying" and told me to try that as maybe basically he's just wanting attention. I checked out that website and nope I don't think it's for me, I can't do cry it out type methods, breaks my heart.

I tried to let him cry a bit today and I went in and settled him a few times but then let him cry and the poor guy just got beside himself, after 10 min I couldn't handle it and picked him up.

Do you think I've just created a needy baby?
    Is there a 6 month regression that it could be?
    Could it be because we are trying to get him staying in his own room?
    I dunno but the crying he does when he wakes up at night sounds pained, it's not a normal cry.
    I dunno, it's just breaking me is all I know. Between that and stage 4......

I'm not sure if I should be looking to do some type of sleep training or if it's teething or if it's a phase....arghhhh

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't for one second believe people create needy babies. I think the opposite, by meeting a child's needs you allow them to become independent faster (you learn when your needs are being met but it's hard to learn when they aren't being met).

Is it possible to see a Chiro?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

BettyV (05-08-2020),JR03 (03-08-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly if you have any remaining doubt that something more is going on, don't sleep train. It's only worth trying if you're confident there's nothing medical at play.

You mentioned that he cries intensely when sitting too - did the Dr say anything about that?

Eta: also, isn't the so called purple crying your Dr mentioned a younger-baby phenomenon?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't mean to spam with posts, but just wanted to add - you know your baby. If his crying doesn't sound right, listen to your instinct. It may not be anything physical, he may just be feeling that he needs you more currently, and that's ok. But I would potentially look for a second opinion, if an ordinarily calm baby is suddenly crying intensely so often and for so long, I do wonder if there might be pain involved.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I know it's not a feeding issue as such, but have you seen an IBCLC??? The only reason I suggest this, is our local one (only one I've had experience with), does gentle sleep and settling methods also, I'm wondering if there'd be one near you similar? She also does Skype consults 🤷‍♀️ so a local one may prefer that too at the moment given the current restrictions...
    But she's very much a hands on, meet your babies needs, as long as you're both happy and it's working there's no issue type of person, which is perfect for me.... But she's got a medical background too, so if something is amiss she can direct you to the right person with a good guide as to what to ask for/look at.

It doesn't sound like 100% teething to me. It sounds like there's something else going on. Is bub in a leap? That can sometimes cause fussy behavior... but I'm not sure it's even 100% fitting here.

Has anything changed with solids? Have you given something different? How long have you been doing solids? We started ds1 at 4.5 months (4 months was recommendation at the time), and after day 3, he went from sleeping 7-7, to waking up every 40 mins until about midnight and being unsettled most of the time. I linked it to solids and stopped them for a few weeks and the screaming stopped 🤷‍♀️

You mentioned wet nappies, what about #2??? Could he be a bit blocked?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post:

Kalina (03-08-2020)