+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Post-period spotting - What does it mean?

Hello, not sure if I'm allowed to start this.

Is there anybody out there with the same problem? This is the second cycle where I finish my period and then start spotting again at least up to ovulation.

Is my cervix open the entire time? This is weird! There's not a lot of blood, just a few drops in the pantyliner but it's definitely not normal. And I usually don't have this.

As for background, I had a second d&c on 25 May 2020 (failed pregnancy #5 at 11 weeks) and I am now in my second cycle post d&c. I am bbt charting and temps are looking fine.

My uterus was meticulously checked two months ago so it's clear I don't have any fibroids, polyps, endometriosis, PCOS or an infection of some sort. It's also not related to intercourse and sensitive cervix.

Could it be hormone and/or stress related? I haven't really come to terms with failed pregnancy #5 and I'm 42 so time is pretty much running out for me, and I don't have any children yet.

Anyone else with similar spotting issues and some insights?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by martha View Post
    Hello, not sure if I'm allowed to start this.

Is there anybody out there with the same problem? This is the second cycle where I finish my period and then start spotting again at least up to ovulation.

Is my cervix open the entire time? This is weird! There's not a lot of blood, just a few drops in the pantyliner but it's definitely not normal. And I usually don't have this.

As for background, I had a second d&c on 25 May 2020 (failed pregnancy #5 at 11 weeks) and I am now in my second cycle post d&c. I am bbt charting and temps are looking fine.

My uterus was meticulously checked two months ago so it's clear I don't have any fibroids, polyps, endometriosis, PCOS or an infection of some sort. It's also not related to intercourse and sensitive cervix.

Could it be hormone and/or stress related? I haven't really come to terms with failed pregnancy #5 and I'm 42 so time is pretty much running out for me, and I don't have any children yet.

Anyone else with similar spotting issues and some insights?
    Have you had your hormone levels checked?? There's nothing left behind from the d&c?

I had spotting when the pill was messing with my cycle... stopped the pill, and after a couple of cycles off the pill, it sorted itself out. The only other time was towards the end of my implanons 3 years... so again, I feel hormone related.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post:

martha (30-07-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When you say it's happening up to ovulation...are you sure you're ovulating, is it confirmed? Also, sorry to ask but is it fresh, red spotting or darker, old blood?

Eta I ask because the answers might give clues about why it's happening.
    Last edited by Kalina; 30-07-2020 at 13:33.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalina For This Useful Post:

martha (30-07-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @Kalina for responding. I was worried nobody would look at the question.

The blood is light red or light brown, just two or three spots in the pantyliner and a slight trace when I wipe.

Yes I am ovulating which I can confirm with bbt charts, cervical mucus and OPKs. My bbt chart looks fine but I am having it checked by a Chinese medicine practitioner as well. I ovulated late (cd 17/18) last month which was the first cycle after the d&c.

I've had some hormonal disturbances/imbalances last year as well after a d&c in January and it took 9 months for my body to get back to a CD14 ovulation. So I am suspecting that my hormones/my body is very sensitive when it comes to disturbances. In effect a d&c is a trauma.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for responding @shadowangel0205!

No, I admit I haven't had my hormones checked and I won't do that right now because it won't help if they found out that I have low estrogen (due to my age? or my uterine lining not thickening properly? nobody can tell you that via a blood test).

I am not currently looking to take medication or synthetic hormones. If I do do that then as part IVF but I haven't made my mind up about it yet as it's a mighty big decision and will mean that my natural cycle might not be normal for a long time after completing one or two cycles.

I had my thyroid checked while I was still pregnant in May and it was fine then. But I never had thyroid issues before on my fertility journey so don't expect it's that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Martha! I am going through something similar. I'm sorry to hear about your losses.

Please ask your GP for a hormone panel on CD3 and then 7 days after you ovulate. It's helpful to have a snap shot of your levels, even if you don't wish to use HRT.

What day did you ovulate this cycle? You could have mid cycle spotting.

Have you had a pap smear in the last 2 years?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @Kalina for responding. I was worried nobody would look at the question.

The blood is light red or light brown, just two or three spots in the pantyliner and a slight trace when I wipe.

Yes I am ovulating which I can confirm with bbt charts, cervical mucus and OPKs. My bbt chart looks fine but I am having it checked by a Chinese medicine practitioner as well. I ovulated late (cd 17/18) last month which was the first cycle after the d&c.

I've had some hormonal disturbances/imbalances last year as well after a d&c in January and it took 9 months for my body to get back to a CD14 ovulation. So I am suspecting that my hormones/my body is very sensitive when it comes to disturbances. In effect a d&c is a trauma.

Is the spotting still there while you're ovulating? If you're getting ewcm at the same time as the spotting before confirmed ovulation then it's unlikely to be low estrogen. It could even be high estrogen if it's coinciding with ewcm, high enough to break little capillaries near the cervix.

Most often spotting is linked to hormones, but it can also have other causes, like ovarian cysts, or uterine scarring following procedures like d&cs, etc.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalina For This Useful Post:

martha (31-07-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah last month the spotting coincided with ovulation and ewcm. Hmmm.

Ugh I dearly hope it's not uterine scarring but who knows, everything is so delicate down there.

I can't imagine it's Asherman's because I did get my period (twice since the d&c) and I didn't develop Asherman's last year after the d&c even though I was mortified this might happen and had vaginal ultrasounds to rule it out. Unfortunately though tissue scarring issues run in my family. So I might ask for yet another expensive vaginal ultrasound if the spotting doesn't subside next cycle.

I was just curious if anyone in the forum experienced that type of spotting after a d&c...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah last month the spotting coincided with ovulation and ewcm. Hmmm.

Ugh I dearly hope it's not uterine scarring but who knows, everything is so delicate down there.

I can't imagine it's Asherman's because I did get my period (twice since the d&c) and I didn't develop Asherman's last year after the d&c even though I was mortified this might happen and had vaginal ultrasounds to rule it out. Unfortunately though tissue scarring issues run in my family. So I might ask for yet another expensive vaginal ultrasound if the spotting doesn't subside next cycle.

I was just curious if anyone in the forum experienced that type of spotting after a d&c...
    It may not be related to your D&C, but it could have just coincided with it. This is why a blood test is imperative. At 42, it is reasonable to consider that you may also be entering perimenopause. This can cause all sorts of unpredictable cycle changes.

On mid-cycle spotting, you can sometimes have a temporary dip in estrogen prior to ovulation and this can cause minor shedding of the lining. Up to 72 hours of spotting is the normal time frame.

I'm probably not going to sound very helpful right now (and I apologise for that), but there are so many factors at play, that you can't simply come to a conclusion based solely on charting and clinical diagnosis.
    Keeping your own notes and swapping with others is helpful to gain some leads, but ultimately you will need to rule out things via pathology.

Just to give you an idea of differential diagnosis for post period spotting:

2020-07-31 13_22_11-Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding _ GLOWM.jpg

Good luck. xx

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MissTwiggley For This Useful Post:

martha (31-07-2020)